Quantcast

Classical track of the day (April 27, 2006)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
second in this series of classical (in a loose sense) tracks of the day:

Gustav Holst, London Symphony - The Planets: Mars, the Bringer of War

Holst's "The Planets" is a staple in the wind ensemble repertoire, and occassionally gets brushed off for orchestral use as well. Gustav Holst was known for writing folk-influenced tunes for the most part, but The Planets doesn't really reflect this influence.

Mars is interesting musically for its 5/4 time signature and consistent rhythmic motif of a one-beat triplet (beat 1/5), two quarters (beats 2 and 3 of 5), two eighth notes (beat 4), and another quarter note (beat 5/5). of note is that the orchestra playing this particular track, the London Symphony Orchestra, is the same as on the various Star Wars soundtracks. and if you hear John Williams in this piece, blame Williams, not Holst, as Holst predated him by many a year...

and if you missed my first pick for the classical track of the day, it's here: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2078651#post2078651 . oh yeah: i think i played this piece last in about 1997? :)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Nice :thumb: One of my favorite pieces to listen to and to play. We (music geeks) would be humming the major rhythmic motif (that we called "marching along with Gustav Holst") for days when we played it. :D

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
this is the first time in 6 or 7 years that i've heard The Planets not done by a drum corps, or in a marching setting. never noticed the "John Williams" sound before. that's kind of funny...i picture a large army of Stormtroopers.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
TreeSaw said:
the major rhythmic motif (that we called "marching along with Gustav Holst")
you guys must speak with a funny cadence if "marching along with gustav holst" lines up with the motif :D . <says it a few times> hmm, maybe it does work :think: . almost. i say it in pseudo 4/4 as:

triplet / eighths / more eighths/ eighth + rest
mar-ching-ah long-with goos-tav wholst

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Good stuff. I have this recording of The Planets. I've been listening to The Well-Tempered Clavier a lot lately.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
ah, previn. his name shows up all over the place. earlier this year i tried to play through the WTC, and got up to C# before i quit ;)

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Toshi said:
triplet / eighths / more eighths/ eighth + rest
When I was in Jr. High that made sense.....

20 years later it is a blurry memory.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
stevew said:
When I was in Jr. High that made sense.....

20 years later it is a blurry memory.
sorry text notation is poor, don't blame yourself. i'd print it out in notation with sibelius except that i got a new computer and it didn't transfer over :dead: .