Quantcast

Classical track of the day (April 29, 2006)

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
continuing my threads-of-limited-audience, the classical track(s) of the day for today, April 29, are from JS Bach's The Art of Fugue.

Contrapunctus I, Glenn Gould
Contrapunctus IX, Glenn Gould
Contrapunctus I, Julliard String Quartet
Contrapunctus IX, Julliard String Quartet

fugue is a very strict, formalized style of writing where a "subject" is presented first by one voice. the "countersubject" then enters with a second voice, playing the same thing as the subject only a fifth up, with some small variations. then a third, fourth, or even fifth voice may enter, bouncing beween the tonic (original key) and dominant (the fifth up) each time...

bach's art of the fugue is interesting in particular since it's a series of nine fugues whose subjects are variations of the last. the variations are in rhythm, in inverting the line so that it goes "down" instead of "up", and in numerous other ways. to show this variation i've included two tracks, the first fugue and the last. from the very first bars you can tell that they're related and share the same underlying chord structure.

for kicks i've also included two versions of each. the first is by glenn gould on organ (he's a nut! was a recluse for many years, and plays bach better than almost anyone imo), and the second is by the julliard string quartet.

previous CTotD:

classical track of the day for april 26
classical TotD, april 27
april 28

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Ah, but your "limited audience" approves of the selections ;) I simply cannot play a fugue to save my life (on keyboard). I have played a few (flute & accompaniment) and love the challenge!