Quantcast

Clay Porter film....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Dammit, i was JUST about to post this. Clay should produce his next movie entirely in slow motion, but then speed up the interviews so that they all sound like chipmunks.

A.P

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
boston
Drift 3 is basically my new favorite movie. The riding is awesome. But yes, there is many clips that are clearly sped up.....fact. I dont mind it.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
"between the tape" deal with that insider knowledge care of boredom magazine.

reading this thread is like smashing my hand in a car door. it feels good when i stop.

edit- also who cares if it's shot in hdv, im pretty sure bike videos are not going to be baller enough yet to be pressed in blue-ray or hd-dvd. it will look good because clay knows how to work a camera and knows what to point it at. he could use a 500 dollar one chip camera and still put out a more entertaining project than certain other productions crap out with 6 figure budgets.

Yeti

Monkey
May 17, 2005
yeti cave@the beach
anyone remembers THE CIRCUS from warwick patterson?...i remember it as my favourite and it still blows my mind. i think it was the worlds of 2000 or something like that.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
the circus comes on that dvd they did a couple years later, i think it was called RISE. it's one of the only reasons i got the dvd.

everyone is making race videos these days, it's so fashionable. almost polyester fashion-able... 5 movies.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
just gathering from the past couple years of internet sarcasm, people would like to see american racers featured in a race video? hmm... maybe someone can fill that market in january. world cuppers are fun to watch still.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
beggars and choosers. you cant please everybody, especially people on the net with too much time on their hands. complaining about clay shooting with international riders because they make for fast footage is like asking for free tacos all day and then when someone gives you 5 free tacos you bitch about only wanting 4 tacos.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
the circus comes on that dvd they did a couple years later, i think it was called RISE. it's one of the only reasons i got the dvd.

everyone is making race videos these days, it's so fashionable. almost polyester fashion-able... 5 movies.
Correct; it was a bonus when you bought RISE. The Curcus is a truely awesome film!!! I feel this is a must see for anybody who is into MTB DH or DS racing.

hbfrdh

Chimp
Mar 23, 2004
With Americans in it? Pfffft. :biggrin:
Uh, yeah.....cuz D-Riff sucks, huh:rant:

Yeah, I'll agree that the U.S. pick of really talented DHers is pretty thin, but it will come around again. Remember, we did have the world champion in 2000.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I wanna see Cole Bangert have a section if there's gonna be one for an american racer. None of them seem to rag it enough, they're soooooo boring to watch, too cautious. I liked watching Cole in Rotorua though.

thaflyinfatman

Turbo Monkey
Jul 20, 2002
Victoria
Uh, yeah.....cuz D-Riff sucks, huh:rant:

Yeah, I'll agree that the U.S. pick of really talented DHers is pretty thin, but it will come around again. Remember, we did have the world champion in 2000.
That was 6 years ago, and even then it was only ONE rider. Go and check the UCI's ranking by nation... Australia is first, GBR second, USA ninth. Even NZ are ahead of you and they only have a population that's barely 2% the size of yours.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
Maybe because americans are smart enough to realize you can't make a living racing your bike. So we just make our money the easy way and ride our bike for fun.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001

Kevin, I think you need a less subtle hint that you are making a video that's going to be sick. You should throw the teaser up for people to see.

beaverbiker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Santa Clara
It sure is, but not enough to pay for the medical bills when you're 50. Personally, I know plenty of americans downhillers that have more natural talent than they know what to do with. They just don't care about racing. And instead of complaining about it like everyone else, they just don't do it. That's why you never see them in any videos. They're out racing big races, like the BAJA 1000.

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
It sure is, but not enough to pay for the medical bills when you're 50. Personally, I know plenty of americans downhillers that have more natural talent than they know what to do with. They just don't care about racing. And instead of complaining about it like everyone else, they just don't do it. That's why you never see them in any videos. They're out racing big races, like the BAJA 1000.
:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
So then, clearly, they aren't american dowenhillers. They are American Baja racers. If they thought they could win a world title, and they enjoyed downhill, they'd be racing. They can't, so they are doing something they are better at.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
It sure is, but not enough to pay for the medical bills when you're 50. Personally, I know plenty of american down hillers that have more natural talent than they know what to do with. They just don't care about racing. And instead of complaining about it like everyone else, they just don't do it. That's why you never see them in any videos. They're out racing big races, like the BAJA 1000.
I agree with your first sentence. To me it seems like most PRO DH racers in the U.S (or anywhere else) only race and train, that is their full time job correct? So, unless the UCI or the racer's team provide medical, dental, vision insurance and a killer 401k...it is extremely hard/unrealistic to say "I want to be a Pro Downhill racer". And add to that, when you become obsolete in your mid-30s...What then? Work construction until you die? No thanks. It seems that people that race full time walk a fine line, sometimes just barely making it through on an absurdly low salary. There are a couple of exceptions to the rule (Gracia, Minnar, Peat, LopeZ) but not nearly enough.

Oh, and about Baja...You are right. I was in San Felipe last March for a race and ran into a former American pro DH racer. I bumped into him in a bar and asked him what he was doing down there. He told me he was racing a dirt bike for the first time on a team who had picked him up. When I asked him why he had quit racing DH he just laughed and said it was not worth it. He said that he still rides almost every week, but racing was just not worth ruining the rest of his life for.

Akula_7 said:
Head banging
Haha, what's up with the head banging? Please elaborate.

Trust me, I would rather be out training (like most of my Euro and Aussie buddies) than sitting here on my butt going through acccounting paperwork making waaaay too much money. If I can find a way to dedicate my life to DH racing, I would. :nopity: