Quantcast

Cleaning A Chain w/Quick Link (or whatever it's called)

Old_Dude

Monkey
Hello wonderful friends,

I recently obtained a PC-59 (?) chain with a "quick link" (or whatever it's called) . . . I was thinking, wouldn't it be super-easy & convienient to just un-link the chain, put it in a jar of degreaser & swish it around to get it clean.

(BTW - I buy Simple Green at Home Depot - $6/gallon)

My question: is this going to damage the quick link by taking it apart & putting it back together on a frequent basis?

I'd guess a new quick link (?) would be fairly inexpensive - like it'd be a good idea to have a couple in stock for those just in case situations. Will an 8-speed quick link work with a 9-speed chain? (I have a new, unopened SRAM 8 speed chain in the basement)

Thanks,

OD

I've popped my 8-sp Sachs/SRAM links apart many many times, with no bad effect. I clean my chain exactly as you describe, using orange cleaner from Home Depot. The CATCH is, you must ensure that you rinse/clean all the degreaser back out of the interior of the links (ie, the bushings) before you lube it back up. Otherwise, you'll only accelerate wear on the chain.

You can't use a 9-sp linker on and 8-sp chain. You can buy 8-sp links at stores, though.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by EBasil
I've popped my 8-sp Sachs/SRAM links apart many many times, with no bad effect. I clean my chain exactly as you describe, using orange cleaner from Home Depot. The CATCH is, you must ensure that you rinse/clean all the degreaser back out of the interior of the links (ie, the bushings) before you lube it back up. Otherwise, you'll only accelerate wear on the chain.

You can't use a 9-sp linker on and 8-sp chain. You can buy 8-sp links at stores, though.
he's on a 9 speed system. the links he will find is all he'll need......but i just leave mine on and clean it w/ an old toothbrush and some sort of degreaser

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Simple Green is great for everything - except chains. I find that a strong citrus based degreaser works a little better, especially to get the factory wax coating off a new chain.

Let it dry overnight at room temp before you re- lube it. Any grit or water in the bushings will get trapped in there when you lube it, so make SURE it's dry.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Using the SRAM link is the best way to go, also taking two with you on the trail. I use minerial sprits in an old plastic bottle & swish around, fish out chain & reuse same liquid over & over, after 'bout 10 to 15 washings I'll slowly pour into another bottle leaving the gunk in the old bottle, cap & throw out.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
I cleaned my SRAM chain about every 3 rides using the "take it apart" method. It lasted about 6 months, then the link blew up on a climb.

I guess that would make me say, go ahead and take it apart, just don't go overboard and do it every ride and you should be fine.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The quick links are great. I always carry 2 quicklinks on a short section of chain for fast trailside chain repairs. Just break off the bad section of chain and throw in the quicklinks.

To get my chains really clean I like to throw them in the dishwasher. Actually the diswasher does a great job cleaning cassetts and chaingrings too. You just need to prewash the parts a little bit so you don't get crap all over your dishes.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Westy
To get my chains really clean I like to throw them in the dishwasher. Actually the diswasher does a great job cleaning cassetts and chaingrings too. You just need to prewash the parts a little bit so you don't get crap all over your dishes.
I never thought of that and I don't think my wife would allow it. Maybe if I could sneak it in there somehow.........:sneaky:

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
I never thought of that and I don't think my wife would allow it. Maybe if I could sneak it in there somehow.........:sneaky:
For small parts and chains, go to the baby superstore and get a container designed for holding baby bottle nipples in the dishwasher

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Squeak
Dang doesn't the grease get all over the dishwasher??
I usually use wax lubricants so there is not too much grease on the chain. The crud on the chain is usually a mixture of wax and dirt, no worse than the grease from most cooking. Have never noticed any grease on the dishes. But I always give the chain a quick scrub in the sink to gut all the loose stuff off.

Originally posted by Westy
To get my chains really clean I like to throw them in the dishwasher.
AAggh! "Nightmare Tenant" stories revived! Do you grind old bottles down the garbage disposal, too?:devil:

I use an old gatorade bottle with orange cleaner in it. I nuke the cleaner bottle to get the solution hot, then drop my chain in there and shake it into foam. When it all settles down, I do it again, then blow the chain out with air. After it dries, I flex the chain to make sure it's grit free ( back to the bottle!) and then lube it up before putting it back on the bike. Those quick-links make the job so much easier!

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
I take the chain off and clean it with water if its muddy then put it in a jar of white sprits (uk).
I let is settle then pour the clean stuff into another jar. I have heard of ultilitarian cyclists putting the jar on a washing machine as the vibrations could pehaps help clean it. Don't use a glass jar incase it gets shaken off and smashes.

For lube I use the cheapest oil I can find, eg a 5 litre bottle of engine oil I found in the garage.

Put the oil on first with the chain off the bike a clean off the excess.

The sram style links can be reused a lot of times, I have never had one fail. Other styles can be much less reliable.

Originally posted by ET_SoCal
...swish around, fish out chain & reuse same liquid over & over, after 'bout 10 to 15 washings...
The trouble with that approach is that the suspended dirt increases in concentration each time you clean, making a very nice grinding compound to remain in the working joints. If you must reuse the solvent, decant the clear part into a new container before each washing.

J

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Originally posted by johnbryanpeters
The trouble with that approach is that the suspended dirt increases in concentration each time you clean, making a very nice grinding compound to remain in the working joints. If you must reuse the solvent, decant the clear part into a new container before each washing.
J
Oh ya, oops forgot to mention that part , Yes I do that :p

Wouldn't hurt, but then you wind up with a filter sodden with solvent, which is nasty to dispose of. If you just leave the dirty solvent in a container for a day or a week, the crud will settle. You just pour the clear stuff off the top.

The other thing I do sometimes is to make an inverted basket out of screening or rat wire and put it in the bottom of the washing container. The dirt settles through the screen. This setup doesn't work if you want to shake the container.

What I would really like is an automotive-type powered parts washer, but that's going more than a little overboard outside the confines of a commercial shop.

J

Oh yeah, I do have an air compressor and use a blow gun to get water and/or solvent out of the chain. That's luxury.

J'

slein

Monkey
Jul 21, 2002
CANADA
this dude was in an article in a bike mag not too long ago.

he recommended using a wide-mouthed pop bottle (i think pepsi products come that way) and a bent spoke to fish out the chain.

use your favourite enviro citrus degreaser. put chain in bottle with enough degreaser (you paid for it). i've used three sets of bottles to keep as much grease in one spot as possible. i've also rinsed in hot water to get rid of all the degreaser. dry the chain thoroughly and lube quickly.

another pop way of lubing a chain is to use an upside down can... a full one doesn't wobble... anywho, put your lub in the basin and run the chain through both sides. this doesn't waste lots of lube, especially if you use the good expensive stuff.

i like that dishwasher idea. i believe, so long as you use enough detergent that grease shouldn't stick to your plates - considering you took off the excess before putting it in your machine. i would also do it when the wife wasn't at home... or at least do hers too.