Quantcast

Cleaning off files from a computer

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Any place I should look on the C: drive to clean off files I may have forgotten or not known about?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
stosh said:
Any place I should look on the C: drive to clean off files I may have forgotten or not known about?

got to start search

Search for files
*.jpg
*.wmv
*.doc
etc etc... that should come up with all the places you have stored stuff

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My Documents, obviously.

Check carefully in the Program Files directory - lots of programs keep personal information or downloads in their own program directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\AOL Instant Messenger\downloads or somesuch).

What kind of files are you looking for? Are you looking to free up space or clean out personal files?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
binary visions said:
My Documents, obviously.

Check carefully in the Program Files directory - lots of programs keep personal information or downloads in their own program directory (i.e. C:\Program Files\AOL Instant Messenger\downloads or somesuch).

What kind of files are you looking for? Are you looking to free up space or clean out personal files?
ok cool thanks I'll do that do.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you're looking for personal files, they should be mostly contained in your My Documents and Program Files directories. If you use Outlook or Outlook Express, make sure you find or export your emails.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Are you looking to make sure you've got everything you need, or that no one finds stuff they shouldn't be seeing.

If it's the later, here's a secret:

*wispering*
> format c:

J

JRB

Dude - it's all about where you store stuff. How the hell would we know where to tell you to look? Are you asking about defaults???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jacksonpt said:
Are you looking to make sure you've got everything you need, or that no one finds stuff they shouldn't be seeing.

If it's the later, here's a secret:

*wispering*
> format c:
not gonna do that
they needs some of the stuff still

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I would log in under admin, then under documents and settings delete any/all of my folders (which deletes your desktop, shortcuts, favorites, cookies, etc, etc)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
lockemiester said:
Another thing you could use is IL System Wiper. Not so much for personal saved files, but it will clean all your temp files, cookies, search history, history and a bunch of other things. Good tool to have on your home PC too.

EDIT: Added link... :thumb:
oh wow, cool thanks!!