Quantcast

Cleaning!

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
I'm sure this have been asked a milion of times but here goes: After this mornings ride the bike was muddy as hell, so I cleaned it.

I use Triflow, for most stuff and Wrench force extra dry chain lube, for the chain obviously. Then I sprayes a little WD-40 all over, and It got on my disc brakes. I was just wondering what you could clean your disc brakes with?

Alcohol?, Thinner?

Thank's!

With this being asked! What products do you guys reccomend, and for what part? Just trying tyo take care of my bike as good as possible. :)

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
isopropyl rubbing alcohol that you get at the drug store. Anything else will contaminate your pads and make short work of em....

or just good ole fashuned spit.... :p

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
If your wheel rolled at all with oil on you rotor, take the pads out, and hold them over the stove. That will burn all the oil off em. If there is oil on the pads, its just gonna get back on the rotor ;)

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
I'd start by throwing out the wd-40. No good for bikes..

Isopropyl should work to get stuff off your rotors. If your pads are contaminated, I use a propane torch, heat them up good, and once they cool take a dry rag and wipe them down.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
hmm it appears from my posts as if i condone putting rubbing alcohol on pads haha i do not!!!
But douse your rotors with alcohol and put fire on them Wooo Hooo!!!! take pictures. :D

Best thing to do to clean your bike is to have slow running water. Take a brush and toothbrush and clean er up good. If you have time disassemble your bike, clean with water and rag/towel/old underwear and re-grease.
But yah alcohol on your "rotors" cleans em up nice.

i have never had to burn my pads, i'll just go do a trail heavy on the downhill and burn em clean that way haha, but i've never spilled or squirt crap on my bike to contaminate my pads anyways....

SoCalsurfer

Barney
Nov 1, 2004
Venice, CA
UPDATE! Just wanted to let you guys know that tonight I took a part the brakes and torched the fukk out of the pads, and I cleaned the rotors with Isopropyl....Works like a charm now :thumb:

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Skookum said:
hmm it appears from my posts as if i condone putting rubbing alcohol on pads haha i do not!!!
But douse your rotors with alcohol and put fire on them Wooo Hooo!!!! take pictures. :D

Best thing to do to clean your bike is to have slow running water. Take a brush and toothbrush and clean er up good. If you have time disassemble your bike, clean with water and rag/towel/old underwear and re-grease.
But yah alcohol on your "rotors" cleans em up nice.

i have never had to burn my pads, i'll just go do a trail heavy on the downhill and burn em clean that way haha, but i've never spilled or squirt crap on my bike to contaminate my pads anyways....
Indeed, brake pads on fire are SCHWEET! I've heard panties can clean a rootbeer finish quite well...