Quantcast

Clear Adhesive Backed Stuff to Prevent Cable Rub

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I think this belongs in the shop…

One of my bikes is getting some pretty bad cable rub in a few areas. I don’t have any need for the custom cut ultra high tech kits that “The Industry” tells me I need. I’m happy to take a sheet of clear adhesive backed stuff and cut to fit as needed.

I’m sure I’m not the only guy to do this. What do you use?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Grip tape, let your frame fight back.

Got a sheet of this super thick and tough clear tape from Go-Ride 15 years ago, still have a bit left. Sadly it doesn't look like they carry it anymore. Much thicker than the 3-M helicopter tape people use these days. I think it was described as moto-plate vinyl.

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
You must have a few idiot friends like me who bought one of those custom cut ultra high tech kits that “The Industry” tells you you need. There's leftover chunks aplenty. Hit them up.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
You must have a few idiot friends like me who bought one of those custom cut ultra high tech kits that “The Industry” tells you you need. There's leftover chunks aplenty. Hit them up.
You’d think, right? But nope.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
i have a bunch of clear stuff of various shapes i'll never use that you can have if you want...
I may take you up on this.Tonight I used the stuff I had and it’s not really thick, but is supposed to save your paint from rocks on a racetrack? We’ll see.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I may take you up on this.Tonight I used the stuff I had and it’s not really thick, but is supposed to save your paint from rocks on a racetrack? We’ll see.
I've been using the xpel tape for years on various bikes and I don't think I've ever had it wear through.