Quantcast

Clemson DH and DS Race October 14th

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
As for the turns...that's what racing is about....winning in the turns. None of us is going to win on a straight...but 4 berms in a row.

Come on. I REALLY need a reason to bang out those turns in a race run. Make them mandatory.
I have to agree with Butch on this one. You built them for the race course, so why not make racers use them. Thats like building a rock garden and not making racers go through it by giving them a way around.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
You guys will be happy to know that the DS course packed in well from yesterdays rain.

We added a few features to the DH course today as well.
The lower section has been revamped significantly
And the table in the middle of the fire road has been elongated about 10ft.
In addition some parts in the top section have been cleaned up significantly from fallen trees to make it a bit safer.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
That slalom looks really cool.
Will the DH and slalom be open for riding this weekend?
A few of us from ATL want to come up sunday.

Can't wait to hit it.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
holy crap i want to come to this race....both courses look like they'd be worth the 7 hour round-trip drive. maybe i can talk the wife into letting me race on my only day off that week. hmmm, she does owe me for breaking my back last weekend putting in 200+ sqft of tile :think:

any NC monkies going that noah and i could carpool with? i have room in my car to take 2 more bikes/people.

also, is their any race fee discount for the yungins (7 yr old)?

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Peete, both courses will be open this sunday. Just keep any eye out for myself and some other guys doing some maintenance.

Tubby, yes there will be some sort of discount for Noah. At least 50% off.

Murphy, That Bridge is part of the Slalom course. I know its not typical of a slalom course, but we had to do it because the forest is an experimental forest and we aren't supposed to interfere with water drainage. And just to please MotoMike, we have decided that the course will be two lanes the whole way.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
one more thing. is the DH course doable on a 20"? go around for any of the big stuff? i figure if we come down he'd probably want to race both if the course isn't too burly. (for reference: he LOVED the dark mountain dh/super d course and hit everything except the big rock garden.)

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
yes everything is doable on a 20" I have buddy that does the course on his BMX but If rock gardens are a problem for him then we will have to make an alternate line around the two gardens for the youngins but figure out a way to block the alternate route for the big boys. My boss' two sons will most likely be racing and they are 6 and 8 so Noah won't be the only one.

When I go out to the course tomorrow I'll figure out a way to accommodate the younger rippers.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
don't go out of your way about it, i'm sure you have more important things to do out there. he can handle most rock gardens, just not the big-burly ones. ...and that's if we even make it out. i'm on my way inside right now to try and "get permission" ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Matt, Noah can handle that rock garden without a problem. I'm not trying to guinea pig either. It's well within his skill.

Oh..and manimal...if it tells you how fun the course is, I considered running my bmx cruiser until I found a bike to borrow.

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
yes i would say its worth the drive. Almost all the major complaint areas of both course have been changed. The course looks amazing right now. Just pray to the rain gods for some rain on thurs. or fri. and the dirt will be perfect.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
An update from todays work
Berm before road gap has been fixed
The road gap kicker is now made out of dirt.
The drop has been fixed
No more straight lining through the chutes.
(we finally understood what you were talking about)

**** Just a reminder the course will be closed this Saturday to collegiate racers only so get any additional practice you want in on the weekdays*****

As Zac mentioned the course is amazing right now!!!

Holla fo a dolla

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
sweet! looks like i have tentative approval from the wife. now, the question is: do i leave at dark thirty on sunday morning or drive down sat night after work (10pm) and crash somewhere? any of you college kids have floor space for me and the boy? i promise he won't drink your brew ;)

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
An update from todays work
Berm before road gap has been fixed
The road gap kicker is now made out of dirt.
The drop has been fixed
No more straight lining through the chutes.
(we finally understood what you were talking about)
Sounds perfect.
I think it kicks azz how you guys ask for suggestions on the course and then actually do them. See ya Sunday.
Maybe Friday afternoon if I can swing it.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
With the improvements we made to the course this past week it almost feels like its twice the fun.

The course will be lined with tape this coming friday and some final digging will be done. Anybody thats willing to swing a shovel to help us with the wall ride tranny is more than welcome.

The Days Inn in Clemson will be giving a discounted rate to all riders both collegiate and open. So if coming in saturday is better give them a call.

***Remember the trails are closed to open riders on saturday due to conference finals. But youre more than welcome to come show support.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
single speeds ok for DS? i just took my haro out for it's first real ride since i hit my shoulder and realized that i would be much faster for DS than the bottlerocket. (i just have to dope up on alleve or advil to handle the jolt ;) )

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
single speeds ok for DS? i just took my haro out for it's first real ride since i hit my shoulder and realized that i would be much faster for DS than the bottlerocket. (i just have to dope up on alleve or advil to handle the jolt ;) )
need I remind you Joe Haley stood on the podium of the DH riding a P1 single speed?

Pretty sure you're setup will be dope for DS.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You will be ok.... After the first jump you don't need to pedal much at all till the end. Just rail the turns and make all the jumps. Its super fast...

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
I race everything we have SS. Just dont stop pedaling and ull be fine. Just make sure u have decent ratio, because at the end ur flying!

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
yea....f*ck that. I build most everything out there so SS is and always will be welcome. Were not a Norba race anyways.

God Speed to the single speed.