Quantcast

Clemson DH Race March 8, 2008

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
Due to lack of use during the first race, I wouldnt plan on a shuttle. Though we do have quite a few pick up trucks in the club. So if the interest is there it could be arranged. Those who want one please voice your opinons!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You had me at big berms. Sounds cool and would mix things up...now if only we could find an alternate pedal section.
as in "more" pedaling...or figuring out a way to avoid the current section?

If you think that's pedaling, just go do the Dark Mtn Super D first or ride the old course we built at Clemson that went straight down the fire road. That pedaling section is just about the only one out there I don't complain about. :rockout:

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
There is possiblity of adding some rollers to the uphill pedal section / changing up the table right before to help with more speed. Finding away around would only keep you from the A-frame and following berms.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Cecil i think the best thing you could do at this point is cancel your plans.. i mean its biking. haha sad you cant come that day but i'm sure we'll see you out some other time.

There probably wont be a shuttle and the reason is that the time that it takes you to ride up in that sweat box and then make it to the head of the trail isnt really that much shorter, if at all, than pushing up the fire road. If there were a better way, we would do it but in the location where we are its just not that advantageous in the long run.

Jon, yes there are some nice berms but let me just tell you my friend, it would be at your advantage to be confident in riding berms fast and switching back and forth. (not a problem) they're not as big as the wallride or anything so they're not "big" in that sense.

As far as the rollers and table in the pedal section, significant changes in that are probably doubtful. We already spend a good bit of time out at the trail working in between studying so i cant promise at all that we meet all demands simply posted up on the internet.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
There is possiblity of adding some rollers to the uphill pedal section / changing up the table right before to help with more speed. Finding away around would only keep you from the A-frame and following berms.
would be pretty funny if you turned that entire straight into a BMX track rhythm section....would defeat the big bike guys and make hardtail pride all the rage...:busted:

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Couple of Richmond,Va, Monkies are talking about coming down for the race? are there any campgrounds, or Hotel,Motels close to the area, and how long of a course?

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
Expert times in the super low 2 min range. Sport times from about 2:15 and up. Beg. times from 2:30 and up.

Amount of fun you will have riding the course-- infinite.

There are a good number of hotels in clemson. Camping is sparce.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Expert times in the super low 2 min range. Sport times from about 2:15 and up. Beg. times from 2:30 and up.

Amount of fun you will have riding the course-- infinite.

There are a good number of hotels in clemson. Camping is sparce.
are there gonna be any insanely rabid sports fans there for any reason? I had a race on time at Wolf Laurel and 6 months in advance the hotel said they were booked b/c it was freshman orientation.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Couple of Richmond,Va, Monkies are talking about coming down for the race? are there any campgrounds, or Hotel,Motels close to the area, and how long of a course?
Lets get a carpool together I can meet you in Richmond. Days Inn in Clemson will be the closest & cheapest to the race.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I doubt you will have trouble getting a hotel and if it comes down to that then you can let me know. As for camping, while its frowned upon in issaqueena (at least no fire making, you can get away with camping in there), i havent had any trouble camping on campus.. still no fire making but only a few strange looks. :)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
For some good news:

I'm sick of not being able to ride after I get off work so I was looking up the start date for daylight savings and it looks like it's gonna be the day after your race! Not too far away...

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Dear god please have shuttles, that was my only complaint at the last (fall race):monkeydance:
Keep in mind we're just a bunch of college kids putting on a race on a course that we poured our sweat into. Thats more money that the club would have to spend and like i said before, the advantages of having a box truck to move people in are almost outweighed by the disadvantages.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
no box truck needed, just make it accessible for us to shuttle ourselves. i can get in about 1.5 runs per hour while pushing two bikes up the hill. if there is access to drive up i can shuttle some folks up and take turns. just a thought...not being needy, just a suggestion. you guys have put in a lot of work and we're all very grateful :thumb:

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
yeah not for nothing the amount of dust i inhaled on the box truck at last years race pretty much counter-acted the effects of not walking up to the top. it wasn't that bad of a push to the top. suck it up people. the course was as fun as :monkeydance:throwing poop at each other. i'm unemployed at the moment, but trying to scrape together the cash to make it down there again........

ps i didn't see big bike class on the flyer, will there be one? or should i leave the 303 at home this year???

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
get on the 303 and devastate the pro class. BTW that scary drop has been fixed if you didnt know.

As for the shuttle it takes more time to get shuttled than it does to just walk up the fireroad. Also in the current conditions continuously running a truck on the dirt road is not going to be good for us.

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Well not to sound petty, but what are the spoils for the victors?and /or shirts? and giveaways?Just trying to get a idea for what it is going to be like. I know that I will not win anything ,just wondering-Fund raiser for the club.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
matt really does give some cool high five's :thumb:

and maybe i was going the wrong way but it took us about 20+ minutes to push up the fire road. probably has to do with waiting on little legs to catch up ;)

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I commend you for having to push two bikes up the fire road too. As for prizes, we're still working those out right now as we're still getting in sponsors. So far as dedicated sponsors we have Morewood Bikes, Clemson Cyclery, and Eastern Bikes.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
it wasn't that bad of a push to the top. suck it up people.
Murphy, he's not whining about a shuttle. Manimal is little Noah's dad. He has to push two bikes up the hill at once, all the while encouraging Noah to hoof it. And Noah is about the height of your femur, so him just walking up Clemson beside Brandon twice is the equivalent of you walking up Sugar several times while carrying an Igloo cooler on your head.:D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
haha...nice analogy butch :thumb:

the shuttle thing isn't really a big deal, i'm just trying to optimize practice time so that i can get in a few full speed runs in addition to the "coach noah" runs :D
noah has the date marked on his calendar and counts down the days before bedtime each night.....he's so excited and says he can't wait to his the wall ride again :thumb:
"hey noah, the clemson race is coming up soon."
"ummm, which one is clemson? i forgot?"
"the one with the curved wall ride"
"oh man! i LOVE that course!"

you guys rock :thumb:

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Oh my god! there are trails like this in South Carolina? and just random, any plans to have a race on a Sunday, because i work Saturdays. This is unbelievable! haha, I totally thought someone had found a picture from like the west coast of that big wall ride and used it for your flier! enough of this.. Clemson, well done, well done!! or in the words of Skrek "tha'ul do Donkey, Tha'ul do." made props to that rider on on Youtube also. he would put my friends at VA Tech a run for their money.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
had the last race on sunday, I dont see that happening again. Or at least not until we host conferences on a saturday again.

BD-DV07

Monkey
Nov 1, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
had the last race on sunday, I dont see that happening again. Or at least not until we host conferences on a saturday again.
oh no, was it a bad turnout or something? sorry, I've been in Iraq for the last 5 months or so, so was a bit busy, couldn't make it to that sunday race.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
saturday races seem to work better as a lot of people come from out of town and if the race is on a sunday they have to beat feet to get out of there in a hurry to make it back in time for work/school.
i had to stop at a gas station to give noah a shower so that he could sleep on the way home and be ready for school in the am :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
hey man, that shower cost me $10!

it was actually really nice, all hotel like and stuff with a little shampoo/soap hobby kit and towel (even though i brought our own)
i just sat in the attached mcdonalds where i could see the shower area and waited for him to come out. gas station showers today aren't the dirty brothels that murphy is accustomed to up north ;)

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
it was actually really nice, all hotel like and stuff with a little shampoo/soap hobby kit and towel (even though i brought our own)
That makes a lot more sense. Your previous post conjured up images of Noah getting a "whore's bath" in a dirty bathroom sink. :D