Quantcast

Clemson DH Race March 8, 2008

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i'm not a big fan of the big bike class. it's not any advantage for a sport level rider on a big bike to race a semi-pro level racer on a big bike. i'll just stick to my class rather than take my chances in an open category ;)

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
We are looking into the weight for the big bike class. The biggest dispute with this is to determine a difference between a well built dh bike that weighs in at right at 40 versus a true big bike that weighs 48 lbs. Yes, its not 2000 any more but with most dh bikes around 40 lbs it would be a cheap shot for bikes that are more influenced by gravity.. We'll get back to you on the actual big bike weigh in but it probably wont stay at 45.

I'm like you manimal. I'm not really worried about the threat of someone being faster than me on another big bike though, i would rather just challenge myself with those at a similar riding level and race sport.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i would rather just challenge myself with those at a similar riding level and race sport.
yup...it's too bad that sport is pretty much the bastard class though. it ranges from beginners who have raced a few times and don't want to be labeled as sandbaggers right on up to top 10 level expert racers who don't want to pay the expert fees :rolleyes:
i wish there was a way to "qualify" for each class but...at least we're racing. :D

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
yup...it's too bad that sport is pretty much the bastard class though. it ranges from beginners who have raced a few times and don't want to be labeled as sandbaggers right on up to top 10 level expert racers who don't want to pay the expert fees :rolleyes:
i wish there was a way to "qualify" for each class but...at least we're racing. :D
more like expert racers who only have 1 bike and don't want to get roasted by guys lucky enough to own 2 different race bikes. :thumb:

I know several guys who are competitive DH'ers and Clemson wouldn't get their check if they had to put a 40lb DH bike against the rest of the expert class on a course like Clemson.

Now..granted 4 of the last 6 years at Sea Otter, a full on DH bike has won that DH...so...

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
yeah lame. big bike class is kind of a cop-out, unless you guys just have an obscene amount of prizes etc from sponsors. classes should be based on ability level and not equipment choices. If you decide not to go to a grassroots DH race solely because you dont think you can win youre in the wrong sport.

if you do a big bike class, you might as well do a hardtail , single speed hardtail, sub 5 inch travel, 5-6 inch travel, and 6+ inch travel class. maybe separate classes for 6" or 8" brake rotors. or hydraulic vs cable brakes. if you dont i know a bunch of guys somewhere that probably wont come to your race.

why should race promoters be forced to make separate classes because you bought some huge honkin 9+", 45 lb huckster machine that you cant be competitive on?

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
yeah for the first race we had a big bike class. I think there were 5 of us total and some also raced expert. Im pretty sure we gave out medals/prizes 4 deep too. Its not really worth it, I would keep it the way you have it.

Classes should be made up by sex, skill, and age, not equipment.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I know the guys who raced Big Bike last year, the top 3 all finished in the exact same second and were happy to pit themselves against guys with the same handicap...and a DH bike IS a handicap at Clemson unless you're Tyler Williams.

And I know it's a fun alternative to the same situation at Big Mountain courses where people who can't afford a full on DH bike absolutely chomp at the bit to race a "HARDTAIL DH" category just to test their mettle against people on the same equipment.

The greatest thing I ever did was when we all agreed on our race series having a Hardtail category. It was the most exciting category and had the most entries once or twice.

You take the big bike category out for guys who only have a DH bike..and yes, you'll lose ridership. Frankly, I don't blame them. If you're a competitor...you wan't to COMPETE...not show up and suffer. let's be honest...guys on big bikes have a lot more options on March 8th that would be hella fun if they so chose.

If you give them their own category, they'll come down out of the mountains to "compete". :D

Brandon, I'm sorry you feel like you can't beat certain guys in Big Bike class brother...but it's a fun category to ride regardless.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
I'm thinking about going to this, but I won't have my dh bike back by then. The only other thing that I have is my xc bike. Titus motolite 5" rear suspension, 5" front fox 32, and a 50mm stem w/ riser bars. How well do you think the bike would work on this track?

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
drop the seat, and throw on the shortest stem you have and git'r done. Alot of guys race this thing on there 4x/XC bikes anyways so you should be fine. Prob help with the short pedal section anyways.

Metal Dude

Turbo Monkey
Apr 7, 2006
Smackdonough, GA
I know the guys who raced Big Bike last year, the top 3 all finished in the exact same second and were happy to pit themselves against guys with the same handicap...and a DH bike IS a handicap at Clemson unless you're Tyler Williams.

And I know it's a fun alternative to the same situation at Big Mountain courses where people who can't afford a full on DH bike absolutely chomp at the bit to race a "HARDTAIL DH" category just to test their mettle against people on the same equipment.

The greatest thing I ever did was when we all agreed on our race series having a Hardtail category. It was the most exciting category and had the most entries once or twice.

You take the big bike category out for guys who only have a DH bike..and yes, you'll lose ridership. Frankly, I don't blame them. If you're a competitor...you wan't to COMPETE...not show up and suffer. let's be honest...guys on big bikes have a lot more options on March 8th that would be hella fun if they so chose.

If you give them their own category, they'll come down out of the mountains to "compete". :D

Brandon, I'm sorry you feel like you can't beat certain guys in Big Bike class brother...but it's a fun category to ride regardless.
Have to agree with Butch.... You can't compare this course with the way things are
run at a real DH race. It is a fun course but, I only have a big bike and it seems more appealing
to just go there and ride for free another weekend vs. paying to race against bikes I know I can't compete with.
Or like he said go to Windrock and ride a course for big bikes.
I understand it is a double edged sword, the novice guy on the big bike doesn't want to race the pro whom he feels he can't compete with either.
Although, on this course if you can pedal it doesn't really make a huge difference with skill level.
I am debating coming to the event and won't solely base it on if there is a big bike class, but, will have an effect on my decision.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
you're missing my point. an open category big bike class does nothing to help the beginner/sport level rider who can only afford one bike because he's stuck racing any pro/ex level rider who chooses to also race the big bike class. take hobby park for an example. guys like moto and andy devault were racing big bike so there is no competitive edge for beg/sport riders because most of us mere mortals would get smoked by moto and andy even if we were on motor assisted hardtails and they were on 50lb bender bikes.
the only point i was making (i wasn't trying to start a huge debate) is that the big bike class does not offer a competitive edge if you're racing people who would be in a higher class in the first place.

i think you should definitely keep the big bike class, i was just stating what i've learned from racing big bike in the past. i've usually done better overall by sticking to the sport class and just sucking up the weight penalty than going against super fast guys on big bikes.

edit: and just for the record, i'm not debating this on my account as my bottlerocket is just about right for this type of course. if i still had the demo i'd probably race sport anyway ;)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
technically manimal you do know where he lives. Im told the doors there are really thin too... a little birdie told me. haha
do you still have the same room mate that noah called the fat elf? :rofl:

in all seriousness...i was completely kidding, i hope the ;) smiley explained that. the big bike rant had nothing to do with the clemson guys, i was just stating my personal experience with it. sorry if i set a bad vibe.....
with that said, here's a pic to make it all better:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I'm not "arguing"...discussing. :D I like to talk it all through...so that guys don't get discouraged and still come out. That's my goal...if anybody thinks I'm pissin' and moanin'...you're in for a real treat when i actually do. I can make e-tears pur out your little e-eyes! :devil:

Look at me...all I had last time was my Sunday. I was gonna come and race big bike but my wife even knew I wanted to "compete" so I bummed her bike....$300.00 worth of girls bike and a smile on my face later....bang.

Oh...I'll actually have a functioning legit hardtail for the race this time around! :thumb:

Feb 26, 2007
I have a few questions ?

How much is the entry fee, and do I have to print any forms out online ? I'm 21 so can I just register on Saturday morning ?

When I click on directions on the website it goes to the homepage, so can someone post up some directions sometime ?

If we get there on Friday will be able to practice Friday afternoon ?

Thanks for the help in advance ! I'm looking foward to it, and hear lots of good things about the course....

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
The entry fee is $30 (on the flyer) and you will register when you get there. Registration is from 1-11am.

I was doing a WHOLE lot of work on the website and i missed a couple of links but they should be fixed now. If there are any other errors just let me know.

You will be able to ride some Friday.. around us. We might be doing some last minute trail work and i know we'll be taping the course. We wont have any problem with you riding but just try not to run us over. :)

I'm pretty sure we're still going to have big bike and its going to be 40+ lbs. I've got to add it to the flyer though.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
"do you still have the same room mate that noah called the fat elf? :rofl:
HAAAAAA! I completely forgot about that. He deserved it for hustling a 6 year old in halo. I thought it was going to be the other way around. To my knowledge the "elf" still there. Break in silently he is prepared for the zombie apocalypse. :busted: ...
"Noah, youve got 5 minutes buddy"
...3 hours later...
""Noah youve got 5 minutes buddy, his mom is going to kill me when she finds out a let me play Halo until 2 am with an elf"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Look at me...all I had last time was my Sunday. I was gonna come and race big bike but my wife even knew I wanted to "compete" so I bummed her bike....$300.00 worth of girls bike and a smile on my face later....bang.

Oh...I'll actually have a functioning legit hardtail for the race this time around! :thumb:
i don't know butch..i mean, the wife's bike really did wonders for your skin. :D

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
HAAAAAA! I completely forgot about that. He deserved it for hustling a 6 year old in halo. I thought it was going to be the other way around. To my knowledge the "elf" still there. Break in silently he is prepared for the zombie apocalypse. :busted: ......3 hours later...
that was "5 minutes" in halo time. kind of like 5 pinkbike feet.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
You can download it off of the first post in this thread if you want to go ahead and get it. I'm actually going to be contacting a lot of bike shops today to get it out so i'll put your email in the mix too.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Just a little bit of update, i dont think we will be having food out there because its such a hastle on our end and the one time we did have food i'm pretty sure we ended up eating most of it. There are plenty of places that you pass by on your way in that are just a short drive from the race. More reason to bring the wife?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
FYI..at Wolf they didn't want to open their canteen the years I did races there, so they called a BBQ guy in Asheville who came up and sold drinks and BBQ sandwichs, chips and stuff right out of his mobile store. I'd guarantee there's one where you guys are.