Quantcast

Clemson DH Race March 8, 2008

brado1

Monkey
Jan 2, 2008
G'Vegas SC
Question? you guys need volunteers for anything to help do anything?
reason i ask, I'll bring it up at tonights Sorba meeting at the great Escape. Note: i can't guarantee anyone will come out other than myself to shoot photos, but we may get a couple folks willing to help out, it's worth asking.

let me know, and i'll see what we can get

brad
www.upstatesorba.org

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Question? you guys need volunteers for anything to help do anything?
reason i ask, I'll bring it up at tonights Sorba meeting at the great Escape. Note: i can't guarantee anyone will come out other than myself to shoot photos, but we may get a couple folks willing to help out, it's worth asking.

let me know, and i'll see what we can get

brad
www.upstatesorba.org
I'm thinking you guys should use it as an opportunity to pass out lots of flyers on windshields and in race packets to racers for your group.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Brad, i'll look into it and get back to you on it later today.
As far as food, i'm pretty sure you DO have to pay in advance for the chicfillah sandwiches but at a discounted rate.. again a hastle for us. I might do what zach said and talk to the people at Dave's bbq. Not sure if they'll want to do anything but we'll see.. (otherwise, its still only a short drive to go pick up something)

EDIT:: One other thing, we will be selling some tshirts at the race. (limited supply) They're $15 with our logo on the front and a downhiller on the back with the phrase "the fun is between our legs"... might not be suitable in mixed company but it sure is fun to watch old women's faces when they read it :pirate2:

wiL

Monkey
Nov 28, 2006
Greenville, SC
After multiple runs on the course today inclusive of the new section, the times are looking like they will be anywhere from 2:00-2:35 with an average around 2:20, maybe quicker once she packs down a bit.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I'm going to stay on the safe side and say no. You cant camp in the forest and i dont really know of anywhere else you can camp (no camp grounds real close). I'm sure you can just park somewhere and sleep if thats what you want to do. Or you can camp on Clemson's campus.. no fires but you wont get bugged too much. At least they dont have any laws against that.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
(Quote) One other thing, we will be selling some tshirts at the race. (limited supply) They're $15 with our logo on the front and a downhiller on the back with the phrase "the fun is between our legs"... might not be suitable in mixed company but it sure is fun to watch old women's faces when they read it . YO dude, I'm in for a shirt! Med if you got one.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
I'm stayin at the KOA in Andeson. Not too far, and they have some cool cabins for 40 bucks. Last year ours had a twin bed and a bunk bed, so you should be able to sleep 3 without a prob. I check in Fri. so I'll keep an eye out for ya. PM me if you need the location.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
If youre going to sleep in your car I recommend anywhere around campus that ISNT ON campus. May I suggest an apt complex parking lot or hotel parking lot or the BI-LO.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Cool, like I said though since we have a limited supply its first come first serve so I can't really hold any for anybody. I'm not sure if I said it before but we are still having big bike class and I think we will have the bike weight at roughly 40 plus.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Random find...So I was cleaning up our forum today and came across this picture. I almost shed a tear.
Im pretty sure this was the day we finished the creek gap, the only thing left was the infamous wallride.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
i really wish i had the original still, that would make a great poster. Speaking of orginals do you still have those photos from my last day at the trail?

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
yes...somewheres in the depths of my computer. Im on vacation all next week so ill do some work on them then get them off to you. Honestly we need to reshoot on the new berm section...talk about some great shots waiting to be taken.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i think i'm gonna get a cabin at KOA on friday as well, anyone want to split the cost w/ me? it sleeps 4 so there will be 2 bed spots left. about $10 per person. pm me if you're interested.

Murphy's Law

Monkey
Apr 29, 2006
Raleighwood NC
hey i'm being lazy and don't feel like trolling through the 13 pages of this thread, is there a link for directions to the race course somewhere someone can send me or post up?

Feb 26, 2007
How far is the KOA away from the course ? For 40 bucks a night, and my own cabin, it sounds like an awesome deal !!! Hopefully they have late night HBO :brows:

j/k

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Manimal is probably right on that estimate to the school. Then you've got around a 7-10 minute drive to the course from school. Not saying it will take 10 minutes but that would give you an allowance of time.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
the forecast is calling for 50% chance of rain on friday. how slick do you think the new stuff will get? i know the upper section is probably packed in enough that it won't really matter but i'm just trying to decided on tire selection from my limited quiver.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
If theres going to be any rain the day before i would say choose tires that have good traction in mud... sorry, i leave my tires on all the time but you can always bring an extra set to swap out if needed.

THE RACE WILL STILL BE HAPPENING ON SATURDAY!!!
-it might turn into an "icycle 2" but its still going down.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
What the blood clot! I was hoping to leave all that behind me in baltimore. And to think I was actually sad I was going to miss whitetails snow race because of this.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
crap! i HATE racing in the mud. errr...oh well, i can't back out now, the cabin is non-refundable this close to the date. looks like mud it is :twitch:

is there a possibility of switching back to the old course to avoid the fresh cut stuff that will be a bog fest?

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
crap! i HATE racing in the mud. errr...oh well, i can't back out now, the cabin is non-refundable this close to the date. looks like mud it is :twitch:

is there a possibility of switching back to the old course to avoid the fresh cut stuff that will be a bog fest?
There will not be any mud prissy pants.
That course is packed down harder than Sally Struther's path to her kitchen.
I rode their wet not too long ago. Even the new stuff is packed now.
Just some slippery roots on the new section is the only thing you will notice.
See ya there. :rockout:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
I dont think the new course will be that bad and were you really thinking about dropping out?...
eh...3.5 hour drive, listening to noah whine about it being cold/wet plus the fact that i have swat school on sunday where i've got to do a fitness test (2 mile run in under 16 min, push-ups/sit-ups AND the police agility test immediately following the run)....it crossed my mind but what the heck; i need to get better at slick riding anyway :D we'll be there :thumb:

if it weren't for the drive and overnight stay i wouldn't care at all. i'm trying to hit all of the "grass roots" races this year instead of the big events and it's just frustrating when the weather won't cooperate. i blame that friggin groundhog...what's his name? pauxatony phil?

i guess i'll just throw on my old DHR because my lighter IRC dh tire blows monkey balls in the mud. noah should be sporting his new rear disc brake...a muddy course will be a perfect place for him to see how much better discs are than v-brakes :thumb:

this weather might be a great opportunity for you guys to make a few more bucks for your cause by selling some hot chocolate :D easy to setup and sell. :lighten:

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Yeah you're a beast of a dad, i'll give you that. Swat training and coming home to be a role model for Noah :) So far this works well in biking at least.

Yeah it will be lame if the weather does decide to be gay on us.. its so warm and pleasant right now so if i see one "flurry" i'm going to take my shotgun after that groundhog.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yeah you're a beast of a dad, i'll give you that. Swat training and coming home to be a role model for Noah :) So far this works well in biking at least.

Yeah it will be lame if the weather does decide to be Noncompliant on us.. its so warm and pleasant right now so if i see one "flurry" i'm going to take my shotgun after that groundhog.
You have to be PC these days on RM.