Quantcast

Clemson DH Race March 8, 2008

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
This is the official race thread for Clemson Freeride's race. Instead of starting 5 new topics about the same thing, just post in here.

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
Prob decide friday before the race...keep it interesting and fair between those who are close and those who drive a good ways.

Though I expect the new section under the wallride will be included. Too fun not to use those berms.

Mr.Flannery

Chimp
Jan 27, 2007
Greenville, SC
Well, we were talking about that at the meeting... There were some concerns that the section under the wallride is a little too freeride oriented. Most of the concerns came with the double over the hole and then the step up. As Matt said, we have to make it to where the least experienced riders can still come out and have a good time.

As far as i understand, we are just going to make all kinds of lines off the main trail (since they arent that hard to make) and then go from there and decide which line would be the best to race on. Someone please correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Apparantly everyone at Icycle wanted to race on the old course.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Herndon did not ride the single track section yet which is more "downhill" oriented than the whole rest of the old course anyway. Its still up in the air though.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
I liked the course we ran last year. Good mix of pedaling , cornering, jumping, hucks to flat. I wouldn't mind running it again, but I'll race whatever.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Herndon did not ride the single track section yet which is more "downhill" oriented than the whole rest of the old course anyway. Its still up in the air though.
True, but the section he was referring to was the section behind the wall ride, which would be on the new course. It doesn't matter to me, I just want to appeal to the masses. We still have plenty of time to decide.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Just a thought -

You've had 2 races on the old course so why not try something new?? I doubt anyone will really complain and if for some reason you guys don't like it, just race on the old course next time.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I kind of feel the same way Kenan. It cant hurt to change things up a little. I too want to do what everyone wants but i do want to keep it fresh. If we do it on the new course, it will have some nice tight berms (FUN!!) and it will have some techy downhill that will challenge your skill. If anyone wants to meet us out here let me know. We would love to have a huge ride day. (gates are still locked so shuttling is not an option at the moment)

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Guys, I'd like to be able to compare my times on the old course with my old bike, to my times with a new bike. Just my 2 cents. I'm cool with whatever, but if you do a series, then we could mix it up!!!

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
i want you to make a course just for me for that one day; just call it "the oppressor" and only i can race it so that i'll get first place. ok cool, done deal. thanks ;)

i'm down with whatever course (assuming i can make it, haven't checked my work schedule yet)
i think noah is planning on trying the DH there this time if he can have a go around for the drop....if that is the course you use. either way we're looking forward to it :thumb:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Can I make a suggestion for a NEW feature on the course that is my favorite? The good old monster step down!

Can anyone say Windrock Bulkhead drop? That wooden ladder thing we huck off of could be swapped out for a big giant berm with a stack of logs backfilled with dirt. Come down the hill, whip a 30-40 degree berm and Bulkhead drop wide open down that bank! :d

Oh....and post your race flyer and put it on the calender here:

http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/dh-ds/

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
From the vids this course looks hardtail friendly, true?
considering there are a few guys in Expert class who had to look at their friends afterwards and say..."I got beat by a guy on his wife's $300.00 hardtail.....yes, a hardtail is awesome for it!"

And Matt, get me those flyers and I'll get them front and center for you my friend. I work in Hendersonville, Asheville and Black Mountain so that's about 6-8 shops. I'll PM you my address.

Butch

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
You can definitely ride a hardtail on the old trail.. let me just say ROOTS on the new trail extension. i'm sure you could still get through on a hardtail but it would not be fun. give me a shout if anyone wants to come ride.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
I'm not sure on lodging where to direct you. There are several hotels in Clemson (i want to say at least 3-4). We dont really have enough people spending the night so we cant really strike up a deal with a hotel or anything. And just a notice, you cant camp in Issaqueena.. you could probably get away with it off the beaten path but you cant have fires except in their picnic shelter chimneys so thats kind of out of the question.

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I got to ride the new lower section of the course yesterday. The new 180 degree berm section is mint and the long rooty/ off camber section after that is going to be a blast once it gets ridden it a little bit more. It should be perfect by race time.

Mr.Flannery

Chimp
Jan 27, 2007
Greenville, SC
I got to ride the new lower section of the course yesterday. The new 180 degree berm section is mint and the long rooty/ off camber section after that is going to be a blast once it gets ridden it a little bit more. It should be perfect by race time.
So do you think we should have the race on the new section?

So-EastMatt

Chimp
Oct 24, 2003
I think the new section will be a lot of fun, especially once it gets polished up/ridden in a little bit more. It would be cool to keep the old section alive so that if you decide to have another race this season, you could run it on that course. The new berms are so much fun and that rooty-straightaway will be a totally new twist, but I had fun ridding it. I think it's got the makings of a good race track. I think the thing to keep in mind is that it's all about the atmosphere that you create, and you guys have got that part down. Brandon, It's still the kind of course that can be ridden by pretty much anyone.

hardtailpride

Monkey
Jan 24, 2007
The new section for me is just like a quick DS section, some small tech jumps and nice big berms. The DH section afterwards, adds some much need high speed trail, as well as a couple awesome DH floater jumps. I am all in for racing the new trail sections.