Quantcast

Clemson Freeride's 8th Annual DH Race

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Great to see this race and club still going strong. If you had told me when we started the club that a DH race in Clemson SC would get that many racers even after 8 years I would have thought you were just as drunk as I was.
It was awesome fun and about $2K in revenue for the club.

All the more reason to make sure folks have a chance to put back some effort in to maintaining that track and keeping this trail in good shape so the folks that are in the Youth class now can rip it up when they go to Clemson for UnderGrad. By the looks of Gateway Park in Traveler's Rest, and bike skills parks popping up all over the place - there is plenty of volunteer effort around here. It will take some effort and leadership at Clemson to keep this all going strong. I was out at TR yesterday, and hear good things about the park in Hendersonville too. Both are closer than Clemson, and both have good leadership organizing volunteer support. I'd like to see that at Clemson FR, but I'm not a student or a faculty member there - so I can only hope for it.

There are lots of folks around that love to ride out there, and Clemson is the only place I know of close by where you can go 35mph (albeit briefly), jump some 20+ foot tables, and hit a decent drop. I for one will do my best to show up on a trail day with shovel in hand if someone organizes one.

Last edited:

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Does anyone ever shred the DH trails anymore? My son and I go out every other weekend and hardly ever see any other riders. WE were out there this past Saturday and Sunday and only saw one other shredder. What up here???

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Does anyone ever shred the DH trails anymore? My son and I go out every other weekend and hardly ever see any other riders. WE were out there this past Saturday and Sunday and only saw one other shredder. What up here???
I'd suspect some of it has to do with being in the mist of racing season. Seems like there's either an XC, SuperD or DH race going on somewhere week in and week out. Also, I know that alot of the SC/NC locals have been going up to Beech just about every weekend now that it's open.

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
I'd suspect some of it has to do with being in the mist of racing season. Seems like there's either an XC, SuperD or DH race going on somewhere week in and week out. Also, I know that alot of the SC/NC locals have been going up to Beech just about every weekend now that it's open.
True, did not think of that. I have to get up to Beech soon before winter kicks in, but Clemson is so much closer though...hahaha.

BTW, lovin the work you guys do at GoJaMMedia! :thumb:

Last edited:

waterdogs

Monkey
Jul 30, 2010
Upstate SC
Thanks, Greatly appreciated.

Yeah, 51 minutes versus 3.5 hours.... I agree. Just wish there was some sustainment going on out there (I'd help).

ChiliPepper

Chimp
Sep 30, 2009
Upstate, SC
Yeah man, my sentiments as well. Would love to put some time in at Clemson like every other weekend. Right now I put build time in at Hilltop Bike Park and may be permanent in the near future. Clemson has always been one of my favorite places for my gravity fed fix...hahaha. My son busted up three of his teeth (one gone, one bent backwards, and one chipped) on the 15' ramped gap jump right after the wall ride this past Saturday, but trooped up and hit up Clemson the next day, but didn't hit up the gap jumps though. :thumb:

Are you in the Greenville area?

Last edited: