Quantcast

Clemson Race

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Ok so we are really behind on finishing up our trail for this spring but we are still going to work our asses off to get it set up and race ready before MAY. Since we are so late i figured i would ask what has already been scheduled. As of now all I have seen are the following events. If you know of something else would you mind posting it up so we can mark it on the calender.

Our race would more than likely be Super D and will take place in issaqueena natl forest sometime before may depending on what shows.

Fontana Village NC. Feb. 3rd. Night DH
3 super d series at Dark Mtn NC. in March,
2 super d at Paris Mtn SC. March and April,
Massanutten Va. DH May 12.
Snowshoe obviously MAY 31st.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
yeah may 31st is not happening, we would like to have it before our semester is over. It looks like April will be our best bet.

Please keep posting especially if you are interested in attending

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
some of the guys at ETSU might come depending on the date

any chance you can hold another event on top of the super D for us?

it would encourage more people to come

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
We would probably have more work done if more than 6 people would show up to the meetings.

Ill be out there working friday 2-5, saturday 12-5, and monday 12-5 if anyone wants to stop by and lend a hand.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Is this the same place the race used to be at? I loved that place. Well maybe it's just sentimental, since it would kick off the season each year. I still have the video of Cecil blowing out his rear wheel somewhere...
Dude, you need to post that up. We had just got done building the DS course and I wanted to try the big double. Not having enough speed out of the berm before the jump was my problem. Landed right on top of the landing with my cranks level in the dirt and back wheel ripped out of the back frame. The drop outs were straight out of the back of the frame. I only messed up my brake line that day thank good. I just got done building that bike up the night before. :disgust1:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Yeah the DS course now could use about 134983659784754 cubic yards of dirt and about a million man hours to fix.
Clemsons old biking club brought in 3 loads of dirt for us to build the old course. We built it in a day with my Bother In Laws Tractor. See if you can get the school to put up some money!!!! A load of dirt will be $300+ and a Bobcat for a day will be $325esh. I would be glad to come out and run it for you.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Clemsons old biking club brought in 3 loads of dirt for us to build the old course. We built it in a day with my Bother In Laws Tractor. See if you can get the school to put up some money!!!! A load of dirt will be $300+ and a Bobcat for a day will be $325esh. I would be glad to come out and run it for you.
Sweet, we are trying our best to get redbull to rent us a bobcat for the day. If that happens I will be in touch with you. We would like to finish some DJs before we work on the DS course again. But if we can collect enough dirt at the top of that hill there is a group of people who would be more than willing to bring that course to tip top shape again.

I know next fall we could add the DS course to the collegiate circuit if we promise to take out the drop at the end of the course. I personally dont think it would be worth it unless we made the course longer. Next time youre up there if you think of some suggestions post em up and we'll see what we can make happen.

Jon

edit: I dont think getting dirt is a problem due to all construction in the area. getting it to the ds course from the park gates would be the hard part that and we would have to act very fast.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Sweet, we are trying our best to get redbull to rent us a bobcat for the day. If that happens I will be in touch with you. We would like to finish some DJs before we work on the DS course again. But if we can collect enough dirt at the top of that hill there is a group of people who would be more than willing to bring that course to tip top shape again.

I know next fall we could add the DS course to the collegiate circuit if we promise to take out the drop at the end of the course. I personally dont think it would be worth it unless we made the course longer. Next time youre up there if you think of some suggestions post em up and we'll see what we can make happen.

Jon

edit: I dont think getting dirt is a problem due to all construction in the area. getting it to the ds course from the park gates would be the hard part that and we would have to act very fast.

I have a great contact with Red Bull for SC and NC. I can get him in touch with you if you want. He can help out a little for the race.

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
Also, I know at ETSU we always get our bobcat donated for free...we just pay for the gas. Alot of the bigger companies will have policies that require so much charity per year. We usually get it for about two weeks, give or take. All we do is ask...no formal proposal or anything. Just thought i'd let you know...it doesn't hurt asking.

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
which companies are you asking?
We use KnoxTenn which is a regional company to east tennessee, but still rather large. I mean, if it were me I'd ask anything around, explain the situation to them...that you are a non-profit organization looking to better the opportunities available to Clemson students (by building a trail system) and you need to move a lot of dirt...the better you can make it sound the better your chances are. It might not hurt to type something up. That might take 15 mins...

I know I always prefered the tracked bobcat for working on steep ground...but a typical wheeled model should be fine unless you are on a real steep slope...just don't tip it over. It also depends on what you can get from them. Just be prepared to tell them what you are looking for.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
We need to organize a serious work day before we think about a race. Its tough to make progress when its just me out there with a shovel. I know you are in alaska and will be back soon, but we need to find a way to motivate the other people in the club to come work. It sucks because I feel like people are going to be slackers until everything is built then suddenly their schedules will clear up and they will come out and ride.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
We need to organize a serious work day before we think about a race. Its tough to make progress when its just me out there with a shovel. I know you are in alaska and will be back soon, but we need to find a way to motivate the other people in the club to come work. It sucks because I feel like people are going to be slackers until everything is built then suddenly their schedules will clear up and they will come out and ride.
Welcome to the world of DH and Free ride trail building man. I know how you feel.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
hahaha
it's the trail builders curse

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Welcome to the world of DH and Free ride trail building man. I know how you feel.
Im in the sports car club here at Clemson and the way they get people to work at the Autocrosses is by making work mandatory or else you cant race. We can take this same approach when/if we hold races, but its kinda hard to force people to work on the trails when they know if they dont, theres no consequences. We cant exactly tell people they cant ride on the trails if they dont work because its a State Park and anyone is welcome.

I wish there was a way to require people to have a pass or card to ride on the trails, and they would have to put in so many hours of work to get the pass. But this is the real world and I know that would never work, nor would their be anyone to enforce the passes.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Im in the sports car club here at Clemson and the way they get people to work at the Autocrosses is by making work mandatory or else you cant race. We can take this same approach when/if we hold races, but its kinda hard to force people to work on the trails when they know if they dont, theres no consequences. We cant exactly tell people they cant ride on the trails if they dont work because its a State Park and anyone is welcome.

I wish there was a way to require people to have a pass or card to ride on the trails, and they would have to put in so many hours of work to get the pass. But this is the real world and I know that would never work, nor would their be anyone to enforce the passes.
That would never work for MTBer's. Every time Butch, Matt, Jeremy, and I went up to work on the old Wolf DH runs everyone else said they would be there. Nope, very few came out to help. But is was well wearth it when we were done.

Call Sun-Belt Equipment Company at 864-843-3397 and see if they will donate a Bob Cat for a few days. You really only need one for maybe a weekend. You never know they may do it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
That would never work for MTBer's. Every time Butch, Matt, Jeremy, and I went up to work on the old Wolf DH runs everyone else said they would be there. Nope, very few came out to help. But is was well wearth it when we were done.

Call Sun-Belt Equipment Company at 864-843-3397 and see if they will donate a Bob Cat for a few days. You really only need one for maybe a weekend. You never know they may do it.
We are a Nonprofit organization, so maybe they could right it off on their taxes? Just a thought...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
We are a Nonprofit organization, so maybe they could right it off on their taxes? Just a thought...
That would be the best way to go at it. Let them know they will be a sponsor for the race and that you will put their Logo on all the filers, web site, and stuff. Just let them know who you can help market them. Make the pitch sort and sweet. Know what you are going to ask for and what you are going to say before calling them. The person you will want to ask for is the branch manager. Tell him there will be people from all walks of life at you race and you will be glad to put up one of their banners at the race. Also tell them you will be getting the news to come out to cover the race. That always helps.

Hope this helps.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
ill make a thread before our next workday.

Im trying to do alot to get this club off the ground this semester but theres only so much I can do from alaska. If all goes well we will be launching tonight and theres a chance i can come early. Do not despair weve only had one meeting this spring. Opportunities, rides and respect will be our motivation. Stay cool...if you build it, they will come.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
ill make a thread before our next workday.

Im trying to do alot to get this club off the ground this semester but theres only so much I can do from alaska. If all goes well we will be launching tonight and theres a chance i can come early. Do not despair weve only had one meeting this spring. Opportunities, rides and respect will be our motivation. Stay cool...if you build it, they will come.
why did you ruin it with that corny quote. If we actually get help itll get built, then theyll come.

HardRockMac

Chimp
Oct 26, 2006
300? I can get it for 60$$ a load or maybe free and I can get a bobcat for 180$$