Quantcast

Clever bike security gadget - Hexlox

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Looks interesting.. Though do people actually steal bike parts, that aren't secured with quick releases, when they aren't taking the entire bike?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Looks interesting.. Though do people actually steal bike parts, that aren't secured with quick releases, when they aren't taking the entire bike?
You clearly don't live where I live. There are poles and fences with part-free frames locked to them, all over this town.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I've seen that, but those bikes usually look like this first...

And the slowly more and more stuff goes missing. Then again, I don't live in Mexico so I guess I shouldn't comment. :P

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Ah, that makes sense.
Yeah. I was wondering about the same issue. In the demo video, they show how the inserts will magnetically hold in place, but also won't react to a magnet trying to pull the insert out. Some sort of shielding voodoo. Magnets, how do they work?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Up here, it happens lots. At the government bike locking ares in Hull, blinkie lights, quick release collars, skewers all go missing regularly. At my office, they used to have the bike racks outside. But there was so much theft, they moved the racks to the indoor garage. and you know how much facilities people like to give space that could otherwise be used by cars to cyclists. (Never mind that the 5 parking spots can host at least 200 bikes... ) When I came for my interview, there was nowhere to lock my bike. For the Department of the Environment, I was kinda surprised. then I remembered I'm in Hull.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Up here, it happens lots. At the government bike locking ares in Hull, blinkie lights, quick release collars, skewers all go missing regularly. At my office, they used to have the bike racks outside. But there was so much theft, they moved the racks to the indoor garage. and you know how much facilities people like to give space that could otherwise be used by cars to cyclists. (Never mind that the 5 parking spots can host at least 200 bikes... ) When I came for my interview, there was nowhere to lock my bike. For the Department of the Environment, I was kinda surprised. then I remembered I'm in Hull.
Sucks... Kind of surprised hearing that, after seeing all the great paths over there.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
part of the reason is urban planning. the downtown core of Hull has been killed by all the office tower development. It turned it into a ghost town after office hours. as a result, there's lots of people down on their luck downtown. Bikes are easy pickin' I guess.