Quantcast

Clever record companies...

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
So my buddy bought the new Ben Harper CD. He's got the new fancy iPod video, and wanted to transfer the songs to it. Apparently, no can do.

When you put the CD into the computer, a special player (which is on the CD) opens up and the tracks must be played from there. iTunes doesn't even recognise the CD at all.

So what the hell? I noticed a small note on the CD case which states that the product "may not be compatible" with the iTunes, so I presume lots of money was spent on making sure that noone made copies of the tracks and shared them. But come on now...I'm sure someone has come up with a way around this little wrinkle.

Any hints? I presume this problem will become more and more common with time, but to me, it deprives those who legitimately buy CDs from using their iPods (or whichever MP3 player...) for what they were designed to do. Annoying.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
doing an analogic recording?
pluggin the sound card output to the soundcard input maybe? not elegant, but will do it without much trouble.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
what's with these companies & their DRM - f-them... they'll eventually get with the program.

mother f

Nobody

Danforth Kitchen Whore
Sep 5, 2001
Toronto
Shouldn't you be able to 'see' the .cda files?

I forget what format is native to cd players, but I thought you could work around that way.