Quantcast

click ... bang ... single-speed

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
So we were running errands, I needed some tools, so we stopped at Performance. Just walking along when bam! I fell for the SE Lager (I hear it's a Fuji bike?)

It was on sale for $399, so the jew in me said, "yippie!" I still wasn't sure I wanted it, but then got to thinking, my commuter bike is falling apart (that's what I needed the tools for) and while my commute is hilly, it's not that bad, so what the heck.

I really want 175 cranks instead of the 170s, so the manager said, "it's the last bike, it's scratched on the seat-tube so how about I knock another 15% off the bike, sell you the cranks and stem you want for 10% above cost.

Sold!

It's still at the LBS waiting for the special order cranks, but I'm too stoked to not post about it :D

I'll put up pictures next weekend when I get it back and put my Brooks saddle, ultegra pedals, etc. on it and make it mine :)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Neat. Talk about an impulse buy- you went in for a tool or two and walked out with a bike. Sounds like a killer deal, though. I'd like to rock a bike like that for sure if my daily ride didn't involve a short but massively steep hill at the end.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Talk about an impulse buy...
yeah, my wife had to actually talk me into it.

Her: You can buy two bikes with the insurance money from your stolen custom roadie.

Me: ...

Her: omg, just buy it. I'll feel better you riding a new bike to work instead of the old one falling apart.

I still bought the tools too :) finally moved a cassette from a dying wheel to a new one. Pretty retardedly simple actually. I bought one of those tool kits, so I'll be learning more from now on.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Thanks all! I'm so excited that I'm contemplating trying the whole fixie thing.

Anyone care to educate me on fixies?

Supposedly, this bike has a flip-flop hub. It's now a 42-16. I'm thinking maybe put the 16 on the other side for fixie option and getting a 21 or something for the freewheel side?

EDIT: With a flip-flop, how much variance in cogs can you go? I mean, with horizontal drop-outs and a fixed length chain, you don't have a lot of room for F-F gears, right?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
You can't use the freewheel that is on it as a fixed gear. You will need to get a cog and lockring.

I have no idea about how many teeth you can change, but remember you are probably going to need to readjust the brakes when you swap combos.

A 42x21 on the road would suck. You will be spinning out a lot.

2x1 for trails
3ishx1 for the road.

These only have a 2 tooth difference:

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver

Today is the first day of the rest of my life. No, wait, first day commuting on the SS. That's it.

Oh, things I don't like... no bolt holes at top of ST for a rack. No mounting locations for fenders. Only one water bottle mount. No biggie, can't have everything in a <$400 bike.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
looks killer! I want a fixie for commuting, but I need to save :(

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
What do you think about the Ultegra pedals? I am in need of buying some road specific pedals and am torn between some spd-sls and the quattros. Thsnka.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
What do you think about the Ultegra pedals? I am in need of buying some road specific pedals and am torn between some spd-sls and the quattros. Thsnka.
I love 'em. I tried eggs, frogs, looks, spds... tho I only logged serious miles on the spds. DISCLAIMER: I tried them BEFORE my ACL reconstruction.

I love the amount of float. Yes, you can adjust it on other pedals (speedplay), but the exit angle on those pedals is more than my knees like.

I like the extra platform on the pedal itself... yes, I'm wearing good shoes (Sidis), but I don't get hotspots, plus, I can ride them a lot easier than other pedals in sneakers.

I love the cleats. They're easy to walk in, far more natural than other cleats. With the three rubber contact points on the cleats and one on the heel tab of my Sidis, I can walk on ice a lot safer (yes, have to sometimes) and I can walk on fragile wood floors without my wife or a shop owner getting upset.

They're awesome for me.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Look! They have the Schwinn Fixie cheap too! It got a pretty good review by cyclingnews.com
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=24506&subcategory_ID=3040

Damnit Opie, now I may have to go in and buy a new bike.....the wife is gonna kill me

<edit> actually, it says they only have XL..wonder what they have in the store? I guess I could always get on it off of a stool :biggrin:
I got my SS from Performance for $330.

If you're going to commute to work on it 3-4 days a week, I think it's more than a fair trade off. I save about $600 a year commuting (that's for 3 days/week*)... and spend it all on bike stuff :D

* I'd like to commute more, but errands and stuff get in the way just about every week.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Here's my bike uglified for commuting...

You can see that the current lighting system I have is just rigged. It's a helmet lamp that I strapped to the stem and ran the wire to the ST-TT joint to hold the batter.

In addition to eventually getting a better lighting system*, I'm also going to get airfree tires. I'm still undecided between the simulated 100psi or the similuated 140psi. I don't want too squishy, but I think the 140psi may destroy my wheels. The idea of never getting a flat, not having to carry the pump and tubes, saving a bunch of money over the years, and not having to inflate my tires regularly... essentially, maintenance free appeals to me.

My commuter will be an on-going project :D

* still haven't decided between the high-powered, low-profile one recommended to me in my thread about lights or going with a hub generator

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
a bit off topic, did you see any of the commuters shown at the custom bike show? They were awesome , but cost a ton. They had integrated racks, great lug work, in general beautiful frames. Someday....when I win the lottery :)

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
a bit off topic, did you see any of the commuters shown at the custom bike show? They were awesome , but cost a ton. They had integrated racks, great lug work, in general beautiful frames. Someday....when I win the lottery :)
Which show? Not familiar.
Please elaborate.

I'm also looking at a Kogswell as a sort of roadie. It's got all that integrated stuff and at $600 for frame, fork, fenders all painted to match, pretty sweet.

Also, waiting to see photos and reviews for some of the touring bikes being introduced at Interbike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
that's hot.

I bet it's powered by a dyno hub. i want one.

Raleigh has some cool bikes coming out. Their primary commuter has a dyno hub and their touring and ss bikes are pretty sweet too.