Quantcast

Clicking Noise coming from Pivots on 951?

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
So got the 951 together and it has seemed to develop a clicking noise when you crank on the pedals hard. At first thought it was Bottom Bracket but we then saw we could replicate the noise by pulling on the rear triangle sideways.

It appears to be lower linkage bar, I didn't pull the pivots and bearings out to check for grease I just re-tightened the set screws which didn't help

anyone else experience a similar issue and have a fix?

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Ryan was telling me about this...

Were the lower pivot bolts actually loose? The set screws on the lower rocker are only there to make sure the pivot bolts themselves don't back out, as the C-clips are a failsafe... Make sure the set screws are loose before tightening the pivot bolts or they're not going to move.

FYI, my 951 was solid.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Haven't found anywhere that states proper torque?

Cliff- My last 951 was fine also, this one for some reason is odd. The pivots weren't loose , we re-torqued the bolts to i think 160 and then tightened the set screws as you suggested and still the same issue. I am going to pull the hole pivot apart this week and check for grease and stuff but its very odd and very annoying

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Haven't found anywhere that states proper torque?

Cliff- My last 951 was fine also, this one for some reason is odd. The pivots weren't loose , we re-torqued the bolts to i think 160 and then tightened the set screws as you suggested and still the same issue. I am going to pull the hole pivot apart this week and check for grease and stuff but its very odd and very annoying
Have fun knocking the ACB's out of there. They don't come out easy. I'd just make sure there's a sleeve between the bearings as that might be causing a weird preload problem.

Also, check your dropouts. I developed a creak cause I had a loose one. Make sure you grease all the chainring bolts and tighten them up good!

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Dropouts were first thing I checked and they seem good. Going to re-torque to specs and try again.

Mr Lahey- I wish it was that easy

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Grease the crap out of the drop out bolts. I get creaks there on my 951 and SS. Ive had to grease the splines on the hub to stop the cassette from creaking on my I9s, too. My 951 other than that has been creak free. Grease is you friend.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Grease the crap out of the drop out bolts. I get creaks there on my 951 and SS. Ive had to grease the splines on the hub to stop the cassette from creaking on my I9s, too. My 951 other than that has been creak free. Grease is you friend.
just greased the g3 dropouts bolts...the bolts were bone dry

now it seems it could possibly be the upper or middle linkage..its really hard to tell

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Take the rear shock out and move the bike through its travel. Is it smooth? Any noise?

Have you greased the cable stops? Sometimes you get a creak their too.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
yea took the shock completely out to see if that helped and it didn't, I loosened and tightened all pivots bolts...checked bearings

Went to grease the grease ports and of course the crappy fittings just kicked back grease so going to remove the fittings today and shove some grease in there

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Went to grease the grease ports and of course the crappy fittings just kicked back grease so going to remove the fittings today and shove some grease in there
I'd bet my left arm it's the lower pivot.
The one closet to the BB.
Take apart and grease everything...

Could even be bearing casing working loose...doubt that though.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
On my SS one of the bearings was over tightened by Intense and was completely crushed and making crazy noise after only a couple rides. This might also be your problem. Check that lower pivot.

Last edited:

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
yea going to check the lower pivot good tonight..I agree..I really feel its coming from there as well

any tips on getting the pivot bolts out or just bang away?

Last edited:

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
Bolts should just unscrew...obviously make sure you remove the set screws and C-clips first (sounds obvious, but a lot of people forget about the setscrews). Shouldn't really be any banging involved, unless you're removing the bearings, in which case some violence is typically required.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Also like others have said.....the C-Clips are just fail-safes. The bolts can still come loose a bit....this could cause creak...

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
Ok pulled off just the rear lower pivot bolt (the one closest to rear wheel) The bearings look and move fine, there was a washer on each side between the pivot and bearing, the bolt is greased as well.

I did a quick side to side test pulling on the swing-arm and front triangle and the noise doesn't seem to be there. So it seems this rear bolt may be the culprit..going to grease everything again and torque it down and see if it fixes it.

StunZeeD

Monkey
Feb 6, 2007
PNW
UPDATE:

So I only pulled the rear lower pivot bolt as i want to isolate where its coming from. I greased the bolt and laid some grease on the exterior bearing washers and bolted back up. Strange thing is yesterday it was still making the noise after but now gave it a quick ride around the block and it appears to be gone...

Maybe I took it off and put it back on the magic # of times and its fixed...will see after i ride it and report back