Quantcast

Clicking sound from Bottom Bracket

Dirt Jumper

Chimp
Sep 6, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
When I'm pedalling normally, I can't hear it. When I am standing up and rocking the bike back and forth while pedalling, I hear a "clicking" sound coming from either the crank or bottom bracket. I know its not the pedals, because I got some new Primos a week ago and it still makes the noise.

The Bottom Bracket is a Truvativ ISIS Sealed Cartridge, with the Truvativ Hussefelt cranks.

Any suggestions on what to do, or should I just buy a new bottom bracket? :help:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
caputo1989 said:
The spindle is flexing and if it seems to get worse ti is new BB time.
The spindle isn't flexing.

Just pull out the bottom bracket, grease it liberally - or, even better, buy some teflon plumbers tape and wrap it a couple times around the threads - and reinstall it. If it still clicks, torque it a bit past the manufacturer's recommended torque (bottom brackets aren't really that fragile, they can take some pretty good torque). I keep mine waay past recommended torque, but I can't in good conscience tell someone they should tighten it up as much as mine is.

If it still clicks, then it's likely that your bearings are shot and you'll need a new BB.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Dirt Jumper said:
Then, if I put a lot of torque on the petals, it makes a light "crackling" sound.
After doing what I suggested above? And the BB is really torqued down? Possibly fried bearings, then. When you uninstall the cranks and twist the axle by hand, does it move smoothly and freely? Are there any rough patches when you twist? Is there any play if you push it up and down or side to side?

Tough to troubleshoot the crank/bb interface since there's so many things that can be wrong with it. It may not even be the cranks at all, could be something else creaking, like your headset, that just receives a lot of pressure when you pedal hard. Just remember, grease is your friend.

SBDHrida

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
aMERica
have you tried just tightening your cranks. it may seem too simple, but sometimes its that type of **** that kills you.