Quantcast

Clifcat Solution DH?

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
How much are they selling for? I have been checking out their frames for the last few months, but haven't really heard too much about them--good or bad.

Two questions: How much? and what kind of warranty do they offer? It does looks like an interesting bike, but there does seem to be a lot of moving parts...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
it's a swingarm with a linkage. I recieved a ton of pics from the owner, but I can't post anything else to ridemonkey, too much attachment space already used. I was inquiring about the weight, as it does say "light weight" on there. The 06 is supposed to be 10-11 lbs.

Anyways, to make room, he said $1400 for the 05. I have no idea of their warranty, I've got to assume that it's reasonably good as he is the owner and they're made here in the us.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
yea bill (owner) is a great guy. road one of these a diablo. truthfully feels like a balfa but better linkage and such. the guy had a avy on it. again very nice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
How did it feel weight wise? That's my biggest concern, I guess, as I like just about every angle on the bike. If it was heavy, did it handle well or was it really noticable?

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I don't care how thick the dropout is, I'd be hard pressed to ride a bike with a non-replaceable dropout unless I was running a Saint rear mech.

Other than that I don't know anything about the bike.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
handle great. but thats a diablo parking lot test. i wish i could have put my pedals on it to try. but he was racing. i thought it felt great. i do know that Bill will work with you for warrenties and such. but you have to remember its just him. he's pretty quick at answering the phone or e-mail. weight is a concern to me. though i do ride a bmw racelink, my rl is still just under 46lbs. thats not bad for me. this guys bike had a 888 with lowrider crowns and such. he said it was about 43. i think he had 321 rims too. 2.5 tires f/r.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
DHJUNKIE said:
my friend jim has one.. he absolutly loves it..
can you tell me any more about it? How does he have it built? How does it pedal? Weight?

There was a lot of hype about these bikes being wicked light, but I was qouted 13-14 lbs. I might be able to suck it up, because I like the style.

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
Inclag said:
I don't care how thick the dropout is, I'd be hard pressed to ride a bike with a non-replaceable dropout unless I was running a Saint rear mech.

Other than that I don't know anything about the bike.
I wouldn't let that deter you from getting the frame if you like everything else about it. I've owned four bikes with solid hangers (aluminum and steel) and never had a single issue. My new bike has a replaceable hanger... so far this year I've gone through 4 hangers, I'm on my second der., 6 spokes, and my chainstay and seatstay are all gouged from the trips my der. has taken in my wheel. I think the biggest issue with a solid hanger would be if you stripped the threads, but there are ways around that too. As far as bending, from MY (keyword) past experience I wouldn't worry about it.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Sorgie said:
I wouldn't let that deter you from getting the frame if you like everything else about it. I've owned four bikes with solid hangers (aluminum and steel) and never had a single issue. My new bike has a replaceable hanger... so far this year I've gone through 4 hangers, I'm on my second der., 6 spokes, and my chainstay and seatstay are all gouged from the trips my der. has taken in my wheel. I think the biggest issue with a solid hanger would be if you stripped the threads, but there are ways around that too. As far as bending, from MY (keyword) past experience I wouldn't worry about it.
I pretty much agree. Back when I had an old Bullit, I destroyed several rear der's without damaging or bending the hanger. When I finally did bend the hanger, all I had to do was go to the shop and use a straigtener. Did that twice and it still worked fine.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
whenever we go ride a mtn, my friend has a portable helicoil kit with him. so yea..

mike425

Monkey
Apr 16, 2004
I have that frame in the pic sat here with me now. The frame is awesome looking.

Weight wise, it is one of the earlier models which used quite a lot of steel in the reinforcement plates/linkages, with the air shock its around the 13 mark with teh air shock in there. The newer ones whcih are the ones you mention that he has four left of feature a lot more cnc'd alloy so they are a lot lighter in general, the dhx coil shock is slightly heavier, but overall i think they will be about the 12lbs mark.

The rear mech hanger is absolutely huge, you wont bend it. Bill mentioned to me that newer models would be replaceable as it seems to be what a lot of people want even though he feels it is not neccessary with dropouts of that size.

Warranty wise, bill is sound, he will not leave you stranded. I know a guy who has one of the older frames that bill made(approximately 6 years ago, and it has only just needed some slight repair work on it), bill has done that for free.....

He told me that with the solution he would do maybe a couple of years, and then any parts that might break replace at cost price, buit also offer some kind of crash replacement deal as well.

Calling him is your best bet, he can fill you in better than all of us

cheers

mike