Quantcast

Climate Change...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
You've heard of chronic wasting disease (CWD)? It's probably the single biggest threat to large elk heards in Montana. I've seen it with my own eyes, it's heartbreaking. It's decimating them. It's also spread all over the northern rockies now in other grazing animals (let's call them prey).

Here's a little primer if you're not familiar, pay very close attention to the very first bullet point.
But read the whole thing, it's a good overview.

That first "key point" has been a gigantic call to action for reintroducing the things everywhere in the western US over the last few years. Catch the part about it not being actually studied yet? It's a hypothesis. Sounds right, but it's still a hypothesis. One that was brought up over a decade ago.

You'd think over the last several years, that would be a pretty easy thing to test. I can tell you for a fact there are herds of every ungulate out there that are very closely tracked. Seems kinda weird that you won't find anything scientific in support of that. I'll save some space here but if you want I can start posting links to the MASSIVE fundraising efforts run by some of the huge non-profits here on that point alone.

Here's the thing: In the 90's two phenomena didn't exist in the western plains around yellowstone on the scale they do now. 1. Massive spread of CWD, and 2. the presence of long ranging wolf populations. I kinda work in ecology. Not a biologist but I work with them jointly on projects, and have talked at length with a few that study this. The reason you don't see anyone backing up that key point is because every time it's been researched, what they're finding is that there's far more evidence that wolves are responsible fro the spread of CWD. Remember I brought up sport killing? You ever see a pack of wolves run through a herd of deer? Sometimes they'll take one down and eat, and just as often they'll run through the herd just attacking shit, often times not killing anything. As a carrier of a parasite, one that's now killing ungulates all over the northern Rockies, you'd think that behavior could possibly, maybe, just could be a vector no? It turns out that's exactly what's happening. Other predators don't travel the distances that wolves do.

I know this because I know some of the people who were hired to test this original hypothesis, based on everything you posted above. They've had well over a decade now to prove it, and they haven't. In fact what there's more evidence for is the exact opposite: that wolves are serving as a vector for CWD, not helping to eliminate it. The world now is not the same as the world wolves inhabited 200 years ago. But there is a very large mechanism already in motion that would have egg on its face if it had to admit that one the biggest selling points of wolf reintroduction is actually one of the biggest arguments against. But literally millions and millions of dollars have been raised on this idea, that is now actually proven to be very wrong.

They dance around it in that link I posted:

Recently, E. canadensis was confirmed as regularly cycling in wolves and wild ungulates in western North America, with infections present in 30-60% of wolves tested.9,10 E. canadensis has been documented in Colorado.11 In 2017, a hydatid cyst was identified in a Colorado moose. This case occurred in the apparent absence of resident wolves, suggesting other canids may have been involved. In 2020, E. canadensis eggs were identified in feces from gray wolves that migrated into northwestern Colorado.11

It took 40 years for these same groups to admit that maybe completely banning logging and prescribed fire in the name of "environment" has actually created a tinderbox that burns faster, more intense, and more destructively than any spot logging operation. They do not admit their mistakes until it blows up in their faces. They have too much invested. And they control land management agencies. I have literally watched research data get suppressed in my own field when it threatens an industry that relies on a very well crafted image. I know how this works.

So instead of posting a bunch of condescending blather that every 6 year old knows regarding the theory of apex predators, why don't you maybe be open to learning something from someone who lives (and works) a lot closer to the issue, and has no vested interest in an outcome. Propaganda doesn't just exist here in politics and health care, and not from only one side of a two party structure. As it pertains to climate change, we are in a different climate now than the one people fundraise off of to recreate.

I do share your fatalism though. :)
Let’s mentally hop back to before hominids in North America. Slowly changing, largely balanced ecosystem. Sure there are outbreaks of disease, occasional extinctions, seasonal fires but nature in what we simplistically call balance.

When humans first roll up we extinct 90% of the megafauna species despite just sticks or whatevs.
Then when Europeans arrive we really get to work. 6 year olds, blah blah.

Now we realise we done fucked up and are trying to fix it.

The disease you refer to, along with probably many other issues we’ll see as we try to go back is simply a symptom of the lack of overall ‘balance’ (the working of sympathetic evolved systems) as the system rebuilds (probably exacerbated by climate fuckery too). I mean of course there will be problems, and we should identify them and learn and fix them. I agree all the non-sexy animals, biomes, etc are ignored but that’s really because this shit is just starting, there is no money for it especially in the US because your culture is ‘poor’ and people are buttfucking shortsighted and ignorant.

You don’t just give up when the first issue pops up. ‘It’s complicated’ of course it is, we were highly effective fuckerupperers and there is a lot to fix. I figure you were just a bit drunk when you replied and fancied and argument, good, I like that too, but really not giving a fuck when people willfully poison an attempt to restore ecosystems is a bit lame. C’mon your depth of rage is better than that!
:bonk:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"That thing we're trying to remedy is being made worse by our continued poorly informed meddling, and that's a good thing, actually"

Okay

I used that example (there are others) to point out that the information landscape around that particular species pulls support from a poisoned well. A dishonest one in fact. For money.

Someone not completely invested in a narrative may take that opportunity for some self-reflection, to take second look at what they "know".

But Im sure we're totally completely just getting it right this time. Because this time will be different. If theres one thing you can say about ecosystems, its that the always, definitely benefit from further human intervention.

Last edited:
In this area we see disease driven population cycles in rabbits, which in turn affects predator populations, e.g. foxes. A couple of decades ago, something also affected woodchucks, which used to be very common when we arrived in this area in 1976. They have recovered a little, but they're now uncommon. Opossums have become common. Turtles near us have virtually disappeared, primarily because of increasingly industrial farming.

It's still common practice among rural locals to kill crows, skunks, porcupines, coy dogs, and other critters.

As a species regarded as a whole we are not rational and we are driving others and ourselves to extinction.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Some vaguely good news for a change.

Your fucking rednecks are the bad news point, again, of course. Can you get on with this civil war you keep teasing us all with and comprehensively pwn them please?
#ClimatePolicekeepingActions
TBF, the billions upon billions of poorer people in third world countries spewing two stroke and diesel motos/taxis/buses/ticos/etc are producing their share. Electric mobility will help somewhat, but also create new battery resource and disposal challenges. (duh)

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
My org has a whole workstream on battery recycling and recovery. It’s pretty interesting. The most interesting thing is at the moment the battery ‘failures’ we are seeing are 8/10 just from one or two cells going bad. Replace those and the battery is fine again.

We’re also looking at full on mechanical, chemical and magical material recovery — real recycling as it were. It’s energetically expensive but it probably won’t be too bad at scale powered by renewables. At the same time battery producers are already on the case with easier to recycle chemistries and construction, and of course chemistries that use less rare materials in the first place.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
TBF, the billions upon billions of poorer people in third world countries spewing two stroke and diesel motos/taxis/buses/ticos/etc are producing their share. Electric mobility will help somewhat, but also create new battery resource and disposal challenges. (duh)
This is a good graph (except that it lumps NZ with Australia whose per-capita are more than twice ours) but it shows per capita and total volume together.
D1E530F1-7A44-4DC6-91BC-8C760C37192E.png

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
In todays episode of "California, our hearts are in the right place, but our politicians are inept fuckwits" https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2021-12-16/california-plan-to-cut-solar-incentives-boiling-point

Sure, lets make solar less affordable in the name of protecting the utility companies who can't seem to keep the lights on anyway. We trying to go green or what?

I'm basically okay with the reduction in sale price of my solar energy to the utility, but paying $8/kw for just having panels installed, that's some bullshit.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
In todays episode of "California, our hearts are in the right place, but our politicians are inept fuckwits" https://www.latimes.com/environment/newsletter/2021-12-16/california-plan-to-cut-solar-incentives-boiling-point

Sure, lets make solar less affordable in the name of protecting the utility companies who can't seem to keep the lights on anyway. We trying to go green or what?

I'm basically okay with the reduction in sale price of my solar energy to the utility, but paying $8/kw for just having panels installed, that's some bullshit.
Especially when your utility company seems to be going out of its way to burn its customers alive

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
To be fair, there are two major utility companies, and only one has cause a deadly fire recently, the other one has limited themselves to property damage.
tsk tsk

3 dead

They also had lines down that almost torched Bridgeport, definitely had lines down in Rovanna/Paradise between Bishop and Mammoth that burned like.....the entire community

The "PG&E standard" is tough to beat, admittedly

Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
Shit, I totally forgot anybody died in the Woolsey fire. In my defense, two fires started that day, one on either side of town, I can’t be expected to remember the details of them all. Paradise was all PG&E though if I’m remembering right, though I don’t remember their body count for that little whoopsie.

Started plotting a completely off grid solar array with lots of junk-yard Prius batteries for storage. I want to use free green energy so I can guiltlessly waste all of it running the AC with the windows open, or you know, buy a cheap EV commuter car and run it for free. Im slightly disinclined to pay Edison an extra $75/month to mitigate all their lawsuits resulting from fuckery.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Shit, I totally forgot anybody died in the Woolsey fire. In my defense, two fires started that day, one on either side of town, I can’t be expected to remember the details of them all. Paradise was all PG&E though if I’m remembering right, though I don’t remember their body count for that little whoopsie.

Started plotting a completely off grid solar array with lots of junk-yard Prius batteries for storage. I want to use free green energy so I can guiltlessly waste all of it running the AC with the windows open, or you know, buy a cheap EV commuter car and run it for free. Im slightly disinclined to pay Edison an extra $75/month to mitigate all their lawsuits resulting from fuckery.
I understand lots of people have done similar and there are even some battery management systems that are designed for a bunch of random batteries to be attached. Let us know how it goes!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
I understand lots of people have done similar and there are even some battery management systems that are designed for a bunch of random batteries to be attached. Let us know how it goes!
It’ll be a while before I get it all sorted, but it seems like it’ll be relatively cheap and do exactly what I want. Need something to keep the basics powered up during our constant outages and I’d like to run my shop off it so all that power is “free”. Energy density of used packs kinda blows, but if it’s something I can just stick in a shed on the side of my house I really don’t care about weight or size.

This is what I really want https://www.renogy.com/lycan-5000-power-box/ but by the time I add all the expansion packs to it it’s a bit spendy. A natural gas back-up generator is probably the smart thing to do, but I’m liking idea of zero emissions/zero noise plus a fun project, and running my shop off the generator still costs me something above and beyond the equipment costs, solar won’t.

It’ll be a while before I get it all sorted, but it seems like it’ll be relatively cheap and do exactly what I want. Need something to keep the basics powered up during our constant outages and I’d like to run my shop off it so all that power is “free”. Energy density of used packs kinda blows, but if it’s something I can just stick in a shed on the side of my house I really don’t care about weight or size.

This is what I really want https://www.renogy.com/lycan-5000-power-box/ but by the time I add all the expansion packs to it it’s a bit spendy. A natural gas back-up generator is probably the smart thing to do, but I’m liking idea of zero emissions/zero noise plus a fun project, and running my shop off the generator still costs me something above and beyond the equipment costs, solar won’t.
Our panels and converters are Renology, and I like 'em.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Half of America would be scared watching it.

Half would think it was a bad remake of Armageddon.

Just watched it, put me in the former as I continue to think we're effed.
that movie has gotten wide acclaim in the states

I don't know what the big deal is, it's not like we've completely turned over our space program to private companies or anything.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
@Changleen , what's your take on blending H2 into the natural gas supply chain.

My first reaction is that it seems like a way of prolonging the life-span of fossil fuel infrastructure, giving it a new lease on life. Especially dangerous if new infrastructure is built to enable this, and thus lock in those emissions for the lifespan of the asset. But... am I letting "best" get in the way of "good"? You seem to have experience w H2 tech, so I'm curious what your thoughts are...

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
@Changleen , what's your take on blending H2 into the natural gas supply chain.

My first reaction is that it seems like a way of prolonging the life-span of fossil fuel infrastructure, giving it a new lease on life. Especially dangerous if new infrastructure is built to enable this, and thus lock in those emissions for the lifespan of the asset. But... am I letting "best" get in the way of "good"? You seem to have experience w H2 tech, so I'm curious what your thoughts are...
Yeah, I tend to agree it’s not a great idea vs. just stopping but it is happening in a variety of places, including the UK and NZ and I believe (hope) the new infrastructure that will be created will be helpful in locking in H2, rather than prolonging natural gas. I think in the long term it’s mostly stupid though; nearly all the older pipes, valves, seals etc. won’t tolerate higher that about 15% H2 before they start having issues (having said this a large amount of the UK went to plastic pipes in the 80s and these could handle pure H2) and at that low percentage the emission reductions are gonna be negligible but I hope they can help drive social acceptance which is also worth something.