Quantcast

Climate Change...

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I worked on a plasma gasification project here a few years ago (maybe 10 now?!). They were trying to generate a synthetic gas in the process (that could be used as, or blended with natural gas) and were also proposing the sell the slag as aggregate for use in road construction. They weren't able to get from the proof of concept phase to the commercial operation phase (they couldn't get it to run reliably for an extended period of time). It's too bad because the technology seemed to hold promise. I think Europe is much more open to the concept of incinerating waste (here in North America waste is seen from two lenses: reduce, and recycle). It would be nice to see a commercial application of the technology take-off if it has a low enough cost, and potential to reduce GHG...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Pretty sweet-
At the end some of the algae gets added to cattle feed and it reduces their methane output, I believe the CSIRO is working on some seaweed cattle feed that reduces their greenhouse output even more.

EDIT- This-

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yes there's a few outfit's looking into that, I know at least 2 Crown Research Institute's in NZ are looking into it.
Yeah it sounds pretty awesome, the show I was just watching showed what they called a semi industrial setup on a roof with loads of glass tubes full of green liquid, looked sweet.
I hate the weed but I hope Continental(and probably others) can scale up their plant based tire rubbers.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
today we'd just argue who created it, george soros or trump
Knowing the collective intelligence of this species, I'd guess that the world galvanized on this mission because the lion's share of humans thought all thems breathing air is gonna go float off into space....

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Knowing the collective intelligence of this species, I'd guess that the world galvanized on this mission because the lion's share of humans thought all thems breathing air is gonna go float off into space....

To be fair, that will eventually happen once the earth cools off enough to no longer maintain a strong magnetic field that protects the atmosphere from the solar winds.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
To be fair, that will eventually happen once the earth cools off enough to no longer maintain a strong magnetic field that protects the atmosphere from the solar winds.
But if you heat a magnet up it loses its magnetism, how is the earth different?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
But if you heat a magnet up it loses its magnetism, how is the earth different?

It is an electromagnet not a permanent magnet. It is the flow of molten iron that creates an electric current that generates the magnet field.

In theory if you could cool the outer core enough while maintaining the magnetic field it could become a permanent magnet, maybe.

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
It is an electromagnet not a permanent magnet. It is the flow of molten iron that creates an electric current that generates the magnet field.

In theory if you could cool the outer core enough while maintaining the magnetic field it could become a permanent magnet, maybe.
Sweet, I'm still at this level of understanding magnets-
1649384482849.png

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Sweet, I'm still at this level of understanding magnets-
View attachment 174647

Electrical current generates a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field induces a voltage. So turn on a current and it will want to create an magnetic field it, The building of that magnetic field produces a voltage resisting the current. That is why current in an inductor can not rise immediately. Turn off the current and the collapsing magnetic field will produce a forward voltage, how an ignition system works for spark plugs.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Electrical current generates a magnetic field. A changing magnetic field induces a voltage. So turn on a current and it will want to create an magnetic field it, The building of that magnetic field produces a voltage resisting the current. That is why current in an inductor can not rise immediately. Turn off the current and the collapsing magnetic field will produce a forward voltage, how an ignition system works for spark plugs.
Haha, I think my dad made me make an electromagnet when I was 7 or 8 years old.
I need to do some reading coz I still don't get the heat part, heat kills a normal electromagnet.

Hmmm, that reminds me, I bought some PCBs to make a cordless induction heater for work, I'll have to find them and order the bits.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haha, I think my dad made me make an electromagnet when I was 7 or 8 years old.
I need to do some reading coz I still don't get the heat part, heat kills a normal electromagnet.

Hmmm, that reminds me, I bought some PCBs to make a cordless induction heater for work, I'll have to find them and order the bits.
Permanent magnets are a little different. Think of it like this, certain atoms like iron are like little tiny magnets. If you get all those atoms/magnets to line up you can make a much larger stronger magnet. Heat makes those atoms bounce around and move a little, so get a magnet hot enough and all those little atomic magnets are no longer aligned and even when cooled down freeze in a random arrangement so that larger magnet loses all its strength.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
hey, I can see (the leftovers of) my house

#neverforget

I just want to point out that every snowmobile, side by side, and dirtbike in existence was being used daily during that period.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
hey, I can see (the leftovers of) my house

#neverforget

I just want to point out that every snowmobile, side by side, and dirtbike in existence was being used daily during that period.

So what you are saying is that when hundreds of millions of people stopped doing something but tens of thousands of people did more of the same that the overall effect was still less?

Fascinating.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
So what you are saying is that when hundreds of millions of people stopped doing something but tens of thousands of people did more of the same that the overall effect was still less?

Fascinating.
What I'm saying is that self important dickbags like changleen are fixated on the wrong shit.

Life fulfilling recreation is more valuable than life sucking commuting. :)

And very recently provable as insignificant. VS.......

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What I'm saying is that self important dickbags like changleen are fixated on the wrong shit.

And very recently provable as insignificant. VS having a bunch of kids

Completed that for you

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

And very recently provable as insignificant. VS.......
You forgot the part where that "life fulfilling recreation" is enabled by living far away from jobs, so you don't pay a premium to live in the city. But when gas hits $4 a gallon, it's "you urban elites never think of the poorz"...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
because rising gas prices fix pollution
(they dont) People with money still pollute and as has been pointed out multiple times, wealth generates the majority of that pollution.

Not everyone can afford to live next to their job. If I applied for my job right now without the place that I live, I'd be one of them. I did nothing but work and rent a house for 20 years. My community turned into a commodity around me for your environmentally conscious holier than thou city fucks to come to on weekends in cars powered by (I assume) angel farts from 5 hours away. Meanwhile a kid we just hired has to spend 3 hrs on the road every day now because he can't live anywhere near here.

Long commuting is stupid, in either direction, for work OR recreation. We should have had magnet trains here 20 years ago. And by here I mean north america.

Every city should be littered with skateparks and singletrack around the perimeter instead of highways. The fact that the entire city of denver commutes to moab to go mountainbiking is absurd. They have the open space to accommodate a similar level of trails there. They just don't because duhvironment or some dumb shit.

I mentioned what I did because it was very obvious what the biggest contribution to pollution is, because we paused it for a bit. And I have to listen to the biggest contributors harp on about how my dirtbike is destroying the planet when they have no idea just how little fuel those things actually consume.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
because rising gas prices fix pollution
(they dont) People with money still pollute and as has been pointed out multiple times, wealth generates the majority of that pollution.

Not everyone can afford to live next to their job. If I applied for my job right now without the place that I live, I'd be one of them. I did nothing but work and rent a house for 20 years. My community turned into a commodity around me for your environmentally conscious holier than thou city fucks to come to on weekends in cars powered by (I assume) angel farts from 5 hours away. Meanwhile a kid we just hired has to spend 3 hrs on the road every day now because he can't live anywhere near here.
oh give me a break. you're smarter than that. this is BS and you know it.

addressing climate change is not what caused this situation, and acting on climate change isn't going to change it either.

but, an argument can be made that access to cheap transportation is what led to this state of affairs. I'm not sure what makes you, or anyone else, more or less entitled to live and recreate where you do, and I don't think that an ethical case can be made for staying there when it leads to the destruction of our planet.

for sure, consideration has to be given in the transition to less polluting forms of transportation and settlement patterns. undoubtedly. But saying that urban fucks are holier than thou dickbags is total bullshit. I might even say it's the opposite. entitled white men who want to live and recreate wherever the fuck they want regardless of the impact on the planet and other people are the true dickbags.