Quantcast

Climate Change...

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yeah but a country that runs pretty much on hydro electricity and is fairly self sufficient doesn't really have to do as much as we do in Australia, we are supposedly the worst polluters in the world.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Going to be like the top of a roller-coaster,
As you crest the hill, things slowly start to speed up, but very quickly a fuck ton of speed is built up.

Nothing will be done, until it is far to late.

We are fucked.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I like this-
“There should be alarm bells,” Rosewarne said. “When I joined this company, I never heard of the term ‘marine heatwave’…. Recently, there’s been three of them.
Aussie bloke raised on a farm works for a fish farm in NZ for a few years and learns about marine heatwaves then is shocked that they happen.

I do agree climate change is happening though, I'd think NZ would be one of the more environmentally friendly nations, no?
I remember they did have issues with algal(?) bloom in waterways because of all the fertiliser and high rainfall.
Correct, too many cows (and sheep — but there are way more cows than sheep these days and they are worse). NZ’s major source of emissions is agriculture (methane) and it makes up getting on for half of anyone’s per capita CO2e footprints. Even including this we’re still slightly lower than the US or Canada but higher than most of western Europe now. If you exclude Ag (‘because it’s mostly for exports’) then we have a comparatively good footprint.

Most of us are trying to be good, and we already do have an 80% renewable electricity grid, a commitment to get this to 100% as well as to switch industrial thermal power to green sources, and the potential to export green power as hydrogen in the not too distant future.

We fortunately are potentially significantly ‘oversupplied’ with easily accessible green energy (mostly wind and solar but also geothermal) and currently having a conversation with ourselves about making the most of this. We need to get on with it, and this is starting to happen. We could be a ‘renewable superpower’, ‘the Saudi Arabia of wind’ if we fully developed the potential, but we almost certainly won’t as we consider some prime sites too nice to ever build anything on. We also have huge offshore wind potential as it’s quite windy down here and we have an absolutely massive EEZ.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yeah but a country that runs pretty much on hydro electricity and is fairly self sufficient doesn't really have to do as much as we do in Australia, we are supposedly the worst polluters in the world.
Australia isn’t the worst but you’re near the top, and depending how you measure it, lower than the US. I do like the consumption based CO2e measures as they’re sort of ‘fairer’.
Like China has a huge absolute CO2e footprint but a vast amount of that is because the west has outsourced our manufacturing there and we then buy the products that are made there. If we stopped these emissions would vanish. Surely these are effectivly ‘our’ emissions? I can see it both ways, but consumption based I feel reflects the blame somewhat more accurately. It’s an interesting argument though; should Australia just not export coal as its morally wrong to burn it? Should NZ do the same for beef and dairy? Supporters of these industries might say ‘we produce these products in the most green way globally, if we don’t someone else will and it’ll be worse’ which is probably true but still… IMO Australia should stop coal mining now, and NZ should be vatmeat pioneers.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Going to be like the top of a roller-coaster,
As you crest the hill, things slowly start to speed up, but very quickly a fuck ton of speed is built up.

Nothing will be done, until it is far to late.

We are fucked.
mykel,sadly,that is the truth. It is already too late. Even the Lungs of the Earth have little time before it is gone. Climate Change? How about we step it up to Climate Crisis. I am Fucking Sick of the Media and who whoever else that keep saying change. The word “Change”,has hope. It sounds much better to us tax payers. When is it a Fucking Crisis?

Avy

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
It is a fucking crisis, Avy, have no doubt. But things are happening:

Thank’s for you’re Hope. And Thank You for All of you’re links to keep a good attitude and keep my mind off of negative thinking. My Mother alway’s told me, “Attitude is 90% of Life”. When I was young,I did not understand how “My Attitude” could make any difference? The one thing I did understand though,was to recognize a man with a Bad Attitude. I just could not put 2 and 2 together? As I got older,it became crystal clear how My Attitude can make a difference.

I work with at any time,2 to10men for 8 hour’s a day. Most of us are married with children. I digress,sorry Changleen,I got way off topic and am wasting you’re time as it is not on Topic.

Avy

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Australia isn’t the worst but you’re near the top, and depending how you measure it, lower than the US. I do like the consumption based CO2e measures as they’re sort of ‘fairer’.
Like China has a huge absolute CO2e footprint but a vast amount of that is because the west has outsourced our manufacturing there and we then buy the products that are made there. If we stopped these emissions would vanish. Surely these are effectivly ‘our’ emissions? I can see it both ways, but consumption based I feel reflects the blame somewhat more accurately. It’s an interesting argument though; should Australia just not export coal as its morally wrong to burn it? Should NZ do the same for beef and dairy? Supporters of these industries might say ‘we produce these products in the most green way globally, if we don’t someone else will and it’ll be worse’ which is probably true but still… IMO Australia should stop coal mining now, and NZ should be vatmeat pioneers.
I think the "export" part of meat and dairy is the issue. Keeping food production more local and seasonal would help a lot.
BTW: offshore wind farms are not without issues as well. A colleague does research on the hearing of marine mammals and, according to him, wind farms and the noise they produce have quite some effect on these animals.
Same goes for land-based wind farms: there are quite some challenges to make them bird and bats-friendly.
Don't get me wrong, I think these are issues that can potentially be solved, but IMO should be taken seriously. My colleague has faced some hate from militant climate activists when he points these issues out, which makes me question how much they care about the environment.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I think the "export" part of meat and dairy is the issue. Keeping food production more local and seasonal would help a lot.
BTW: offshore wind farms are not without issues as well. A colleague does research on the hearing of marine mammals and, according to him, wind farms and the noise they produce have quite some effect on these animals.
Same goes for land-based wind farms: there are quite some challenges to make them bird and bats-friendly.
Don't get me wrong, I think these are issues that can potentially be solved, but IMO should be taken seriously. My colleague has faced some hate from militant climate activists when he points these issues out, which makes me question how much they care about the environment.
I fully agree, impacts need to be accounted for and mitigated.
But at this point, with what we know, there seems to be an order of magnitude in differentiation between wind and solar impact vs removal of mountain-tops, open pit mines, fracking and their respective environmental costs.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I fully agree, impacts need to be accounted for and mitigated.
But at this point, with what we know, there seems to be an order of magnitude in differentiation between wind and solar impact vs removal of mountain-tops, open pit mines, fracking and their respective environmental costs.
Unfortunately we will only know the full impact in 30-40 years, so we have to give it our best shot at predicting and mitigating the effects.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Painting black stripes on wind turbines seems to drop bird kill by 75% or better, and if painted on the leading edges could actually help the operation of them in the cold (helping prevent ice buildup). I’ve yet to see anything about sub-sea sound pollution from offshore windfarms. Infrasound maybe but I’ve been up close with these giant fuckers and they’re just not that noisy. The sea itself drowns out the noise to a human.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
What proportion of carbon cost is in the transport? If it's low then it's not an issue.

Painting black stripes on wind turbines seems to drop bird kill by 75% or better, and if painted on the leading edges could actually help the operation of them in the cold (helping prevent ice buildup). I’ve yet to see anything about sub-sea sound pollution from offshore windfarms. Infrasound maybe but I’ve been up close with these giant fuckers and they’re just not that noisy. The sea itself drowns out the noise to a human.
Different species hear different auditory ranges

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I saw a documentry a while back,on the serious drought and the effect it had on the Cow Ranchers. This Man was weeping during the Interview about All of the troubles they have. Many men killed themselves. They Loved their Cows. Then, you had that Huge Fire. I suspect drought is still a problem no?

Avy

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
@Changleen can this be offset by usage of renewable energy sources?
Yes to some extent, they absolutely should be powered by green energy of course but IMO the most useful thing here is good regulation and engineering standards. For example all techs working on AC should be qualified and there should be strong compliance around system testing, and handling and disposal of refrigerants. Also there are some that massively better than others and we should push for those to be preferred. In NZ some of this is true already, for example there is a (I believe) ~$700 fine for installation of a leaking system for the installer, and ditto fines for even accidental refrigerant release. You also can’t get some of the older more damaging chemicals anymore.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Yes to some extent, they absolutely should be powered by green energy of course but IMO the most useful thing here is good regulation and engineering standards. For example all techs working on AC should be qualified and there should be strong compliance around system testing, and handling and disposal of refrigerants. Also there are some that massively better than others and we should push for those to be preferred. In NZ some of this is true already, for example there is a (I believe) ~$700 fine for installation of a leaking system for the installer, and ditto fines for even accidental refrigerant release. You also can’t get some of the older more damaging chemicals anymore.
Man, you would have cried if you were on a site I used to have to go to, I got yelled at by their safety officer for making sparks and noise in their workshop with a grinder. They'd de-gas AC systems with bolt cutters and cut cars in half with sabre saws, on their old site the soil was black and waterproof forever.
I refused to work there as it was so dangerous, they'd stack cars three high next to you as you worked.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
They'd de-gas AC systems with bolt cutters
Holy shit. This is terrible, but it’s hard to get too pissed off when oil fields around the world are venting 100,000s of tonnes methane per month. We’ve got a lot to do.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
"Hike among some dead trees and drink dirt"

LOL

Good, spread the word.

The growing threats have prompted the Pacific Crest Trail Association, which operates in partnership with the U.S. Forest Service, to begin shifting its mission from preserving the trail and managing hiking permits toward addressing environmental degradation head-on.

I've seen firsthand for years what the pacific crest trail association really focuses on. Fuck'em.

I like how no eyebrow is raised about a guy who teaches at Brown (IE: lives around Providence Rhode Island) regularly hikes a trail on the other side of the continent when talking about climate change.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Important because we’ve outsourced our manufacturing there: China has reduced CO2 emissions by 1.4% year to date this year, although a fair bit of this is due to the global covid issues. Still, I’ll take it! That’s a lot of carbon.
They have also announced they intended to underpromise and overdeliver on their climate goals and will be planting 70 billion (yes billion) trees over the next decade. They are also co-operating heavily with the US on methane capture tech.
As I sit here with 100kph wind and crazy rainfall lashing my house, it’s sometimes hard to feel hopeful about any of this but recently I feel the pace of change is picking up. Long may it grow exponentially!

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I would suggest china's CO2 reduction would almost entirely be the factories being shut by lockdowns..... I would expect emissions to jump back to where they were.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Climate science lady said:
“People do not understand the magnitude of what is going on,” she said. “This will be greater than anything we have ever seen in the past. This will be unprecedented. Every living thing will be affected.”

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Let's hear it for team kid free! The fun crew!

Me, JM, Westy, who else knows humanity has no future?

The fundamental flaw with human beings is that we evolved amazing intellect and developed hundreds of generations of knowledge to survive and thrive in almost any conditions. However we never lost the same myopic selfish animalistic desires that make rabbits multiply exponentially and Labrador retrievers eat until they are sick. No amount of conversation will ever change those traits that will eventually doom us. I doubt humans will go completely extinct but we are doomed to a catastrophe of our own creation and will probably repeat it unless we lose those animal instincts or our intelligence.