Quantcast

Climate Change...

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Just out of interest, in America can you not add your car to your mortgage? That’s what we do here. Low rate and low impact to monthly outgoings.
Ssssshhhhhh, keep it down, the industry might hear you.

But no, car loans are separate. I suppose you could add it by way of a HELOC or something, but no just tacking it onto the principle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Al my car loans have had much lower interest rates than my mortgage. I did use a HELOC to pay off student loans which has absurd rates.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, 0% is pretty good...unless they start paying me to use their money?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
In NZ car loans would be somewhere between 7-20% pa, but mortgages can still be down at 3-4% although they are rising atm of course. The only really low rates we can get are either really short term and for lower amounts, or recently a couple of the banks are offering super low rates, like 1.5%, for building or other capital costs associated with greening stuff (solar, insulation, new eco-builds, ev power etc.)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
The fun part about interest rates changing and then watching banks change theirs.....is that you realize they're borrowing too to finance your shit. I'm not quite sure the point of them or that system.

Imagine with me if you will: a bank, but operates with only the money that goes through it via it's own transactions. That way they can give loans based on credit worthiness defining an interest rate. I know I know, crazy talk (IE the way banks used to actually work)

The loose change sitting jamie dimon's weekend jeans could finance an entire town.

These banks need to quit freeloading and grab some bootstraps. Debt is the point to move wealth upwards, and banking middlemen just serve to spread debt. We should really do something about that at some point. I blame Changleen for not fixing this. I'm sure he's sat next to swiss bankers in a spa at some point. What gives?

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The fun part about interest rates changing and then watching banks change theirs.....is that you realize they're borrowing too to finance your shit. I'm not quite sure the point of them or that system.

Imagine with me if you will: a bank, but operates with only the money that goes through it via it's own transactions. That way they can give loans based on credit worthiness defining an interest rate. I know I know, crazy talk (IE the way banks used to actually work)

The loose change sitting jamie dimon's weekend jeans could finance an entire town.

These banks need to quit freeloading and grab some bootstraps. Debt is the point to move wealth upwards, and banking middlemen just serve to spread debt. We should really do something about that at some point. I blame Changleen for not fixing this. I'm sure he's sat next to swiss bankers in a spa at some point. What gives?
Read the capitalism chapter of Sapiens, actually read the whole book.

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006

These banks need to quit freeloading and grab some bootstraps.
kidwoo,I follow you here,but not enough yet. I don’t believe you can’t buy a new car like Avy. I would guess and say it is not in you’re best interest? I always thought The most important object in Life,if you will,was to buy a House? Now I must say,Avy has bought Thousand’s of dollars on the Hobby of a Bike. Other than that Sick Un-Curable Matter,I have been a Good Boy. I bought my House with a 401k Fist time buyer option. One can borrow half of monies saved. I’m here now. Price has gone up over 100k,but the market is fickle,not counting on anything really,just hopes for the best. I have never like many,had a new car. I don’t understand All these young boys and girls,not just them,but most driving new cars? How can they afford it? I’m in CA so it is off the scale for Everything. 650 dollars with Insurance a mounth,or more? Krazy! How do they do it,and they go out to the club and eat? I make decent money,it took decades,but I have a Trade. Mabye they are selling coke?

Avy

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Sorry, we don’t allow bankers at my Spa.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sure a buying a few offsets from the nature conservancy will make it better.

I will look into that after I drink my zero carbon beer and go for a dip in my renewable powered hot tub.

The secret is to sit so your farts bubble up right into your mouth.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Speaking of positives in the context of this thread, I was just looking at the heat signatures coming from the southern hemisphere again as previously discussed.

View attachment 181606

My favorite new thing for figuring out where the fuck is this smoke coming from.

Also on the topic of futility

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
MS only has 5 years of social security to pay.
Id count that as a fiscal win.
You know, you may be onto something. SS solvency discussions always focus on reducing social security distributions or increasing contributions, not reducing the number of beneficiaries... :think:

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've argued that the cafeterias at work are there solely to ensure that any of the old timers with pensions die young.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Ssssshhhhhh, keep it down, the industry might hear you.

But no, car loans are separate. I suppose you could add it by way of a HELOC or something, but no just tacking it onto the principle.
Actually, yes. But it's a bad idea.

Ex. $40k, 4%, 5yr term car loan = $4,200 interest; $736 monthly payment

$450k, 2.5%, 30yr term home loan = $190,000 total interest; $1,778 monthly payment.

$490k (combined), 2.5%, 30yr term home loan = $207k total interest; $1,936 monthly payment.

You will end up paying ~$13,000 more in interest by combining. If you are smart and take the monthly cost difference ($736) and invest it, you might close the gap. But my math says no.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
View attachment 181661

2020 is the best we've got (per the CDC). Mississippi for the fairly convincing win!
Apparently, I mentioned to MIL2 while they were here this last weekend, that TN has one of the highest infant mortality rates, lowest life expectancies, and lowest education levels in the country. Such a well known statistic to me and those in my world, that I didn't even realize that they were new info to her. She brought it up to Wifey today that it was really disturbing given the numbers vs. CA, which they just left. Oops.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Apparently, I mentioned to MIL2 while they were here this last weekend, that TN has one of the highest infant mortality rates, lowest life expectancies, and lowest education levels in the country. Such a well known statistic to me and those in my world, that I didn't even realize that they were new info to her. She brought it up to Wifey today that it was really disturbing given the numbers vs. CA, which they just left. Oops.
Yeah, but they are making up for it with all that extra Freedum, right?