Quantcast

Climate Change...

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
I read somewhere, but haven't confirmed, that king crab was also canceled. I don't care for snow-crab, too small and too much effort for the meat, but I love me some king crab. Dungeonous tastes like dirt to me. I can buy king crab from the Norton Sound (real, not the make believe restaurant) seafood company in town for a decent amount. I can get it in Nome, AK for about the same price when I travel there for work, just get a box of frozen king and it's part of my checked luggage with Alaska Air. That's one of the perks for traveling to Nome. The fishery is by guys that walk out on the ice, cut a hole, drop a line, catch some crabs and take them back to processing.
You are too much. Dungy taste like Dirt again. Like it has any type of meaning? Nobody sais nothing? Yes I know,it is you’re opinion,that is what you think. Is this a joke? My Holy King.

Avy

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
You are too much. Dungy taste like Dirt again. Like it has any type of meaning? Nobody sais nothing? Yes I know,it is you’re opinion,that is what you think. Is this a joke? My Holy King.

Avy
I just get a earthy dirt-ish taste. Yep, my opinion. Same with Pinot Grigio, tastes like dirt to me.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Been reading some interesting meta research about Beef emissions around the world. Points to note: the majority of emissions in most cases are methane during the life of the animal, and most countries only estimate these impacts from farm to table. In NZ and only a couple of other places is there actually cradle to grave analysis which includes biological and packaging waste into landfill or whatever, and cooking processes.

Sorry to tell you this, but American beef is the worst, even when it ignores some things at an average of 32kg of CO2e per kilo of beef. If you can buy NZ beef *in the the USA* and take it home, cook it, and dispose of the waste materials this figure reduces to 22kg CO2e per kg. Even ignoring the lesser thorough analysis of the US cycle, NZ beef is more than 1/3 less damage than your local beef, that’s quite a lot. The actual figure will be better than that.

Other major beef producers (figures for consumption in the USA inc. import emissions unless noted):

Australian grass fed (needs a lot of fertiliser and water): 27kg

Aus mixed grass and grain: 23kg

Mexican (but only to the supermarket): 21-23kg

Italian (not including waste disposal) 24kg

Essentially you should try to get not US beef unless it is exceptionally local and grass fed on natural grass. Basically any southwestern beef is gonna have a pretty high footprint, and Texas is urgh. If you’re picking up ‘regular steak’ at the supermarket nearly all the imported meat will have a significantly lower carbon footprint.

Edit: Jeeze some of the Texas and other southern feedlot, imported palm kernel, imported water, beef is 60-70kg CO2e per kg! That like the beef equivalent of rolling coal!

Last edited:
Been reading some interesting meta research about Beef emissions around the world. Points to note: the majority of emissions in most cases are methane during the life of the animal, and most countries only estimate these impacts from farm to table. In NZ and only a couple of other places is there actually cradle to grave analysis which includes biological and packaging waste into landfill or whatever, and cooking processes.

Sorry to tell you this, but American beef is the worst, even when it ignores some things at an average of 32kg of CO2e per kilo of beef. If you can buy NZ beef *in the the USA* and take it home, cook it, and dispose of the waste materials this figure reduces to 22kg CO2e per kg. Even ignoring the lesser thorough analysis of the US cycle, NZ beef is more than 1/3 less damage than your local beef, that’s quite a lot. The actual figure will be better than that.

Other major beef producers (figures for consumption in the USA inc. import emissions unless noted):

Australian grass fed (needs a lot of fertiliser and water): 27kg

Aus mixed grass and grain: 23kg

Mexican (but only to the supermarket): 21-23kg

Italian (not including waste disposal) 24kg

Essentially you should try to get not US beef unless it is exceptionally local and grass fed on natural grass. Basically any southwestern beef is gonna have a pretty high footprint, and Texas is urgh. If you’re picking up ‘regular steak’ at the supermarket nearly all the imported meat will have a significantly lower carbon footprint.
For them of us that eats meat, we ought to eat humans.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I have moderately recently learned (I mean what even is time these days) that generally humans prefer the taste of vegetarian animals.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I should eat more wolf.....

We largely eat vegetarian animals because they're easier to herd, graze and raise on a large scale. I'm not really sure how much preference really has to do with it. Alligator tail is awesome too.
Not sure I ever had Alligator. I had Kangaroo tail once, was really strong flavour.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Old hydrogen tech...TLDR: Really really bad...but interesting to see what all the challenges have been. Basically this car is horrible on all accounts and just a stunt.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Old hydrogen tech...TLDR: Really really bad...but interesting to see what all the challenges have been. Basically this car is horrible on all accounts and just a stunt.

Yup, this a definite ‘y tho’, and the best answer I can see is the safety tech. Here’s how you try and do it properly:

and

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Hope this keeps the older trucks on the road, would be pretty wicked to have a truck with no electrics on the suspension and brake side of things but with an electric motor. Four minutes to swap a battery out is pretty good

Having to go to a dealership so they can tell the truck's brain that it has new brake pads is dumb, keep the old stuff alive with a bit of modern garbage rather than going full retard.

Last edited: