Climate Change...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
because acid rain and smog are awesome

the entire planet implemented catalytic converters for 4 stroke motors to get that shit OUT of the atmosphere.....just for these douchebags to pull this out of their asses

doomed

At least the guy who wrote that points out the stupidity.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
My dad went on a "look at this LibRUL aCtIviST company putting SO2 in the stratosphere" causing global warming, this morning. I read about it a bit (so I could throw a little bit of "read before you speak" back at him) earlier and it premise looks to be a lesser of two evil's. By spraying S02 into the stratosphere, the goal is to replicate volcanic particles at that altitude, which has known reflective abilities to the sun. The known risks are largely acid rain. If the options are cook the planet vs. trigger acid rain, but potentially slow down climate change/global warming, which option would you take?

The people that are causing the problems (see corporations, etc) aren't doing shit, because it's not profitable. The seemingly only option left are to at least try to close the gap regarding the speed things are getting worse. If that means taking the lesser of two evils, sometimes you have to. It's the same premise behind nuclear power - it leaves behind radioactive material that you effectively will never be able to properly dispose of. But it allows for power generation at all hours and in all weather, without need to burn coal or gas. Again a lesser of two evil's type situation.

It's been getting researched for decades, so it's not a let's just do it and see what happens type scenario.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My dad went on a "look at this LibRUL aCtIviST company putting SO2 in the stratosphere" causing global warming, this morning. I read about it a bit (so I could throw a little bit of "read before you speak" back at him) earlier and it premise looks to be a lesser of two evil's. By spraying S02 into the stratosphere, the goal is to replicate volcanic particles at that altitude, which has known reflective abilities to the sun. The known risks are largely acid rain. If the options are cook the planet vs. trigger acid rain, but potentially slow down climate change/global warming, which option would you take?

The people that are causing the problems (see corporations, etc) aren't doing shit, because it's not profitable. The seemingly only option left are to at least try to close the gap regarding the speed things are getting worse. If that means taking the lesser of two evils, sometimes you have to. It's the same premise behind nuclear power - it leaves behind radioactive material that you effectively will never be able to properly dispose of. But it allows for power generation at all hours and in all weather, without need to burn coal or gas. Again a lesser of two evil's type situation.

It's been getting researched for decades, so it's not a let's just do it and see what happens type scenario.
You have too much faith in these douchebags.

Lead as an octane booster had also been 'researched for decades'

The amount of that shit you'd have to pump into the air to matter is astronomical.
It's not just acid rain, it's the generation of other sulfur oxides in the air when sunlight hits it. It's fucking stupid, poisonous and irresponsible. It's ignorant window dressing that's nothing more than a distraction from doing what everyone knows is what is actually the solution: quit burning so much combustible fuel for energy.

Last edited:

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR

The amount of that shit you'd have to pump into the air to matter is astronomical.
It's not just acid rain, it's the generation of other sulfer oxides in the air when sunlight hits it. It's fucking stupid, poisonous and irresponsible. It's ignorant window dressing that's nothing more than a distraction from doing what everyone knows is what is actually the solution: quit burning so much combustible fuel for energy.
Oh, come on, man!

SO2 is a preservative. An anti-oxidation preservative at that. Think of the benefits. So. Narrow. Minded.

Who really cares about a little rotten egg or mercaptane scent in the air?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

It's not just acid rain, it's the generation of other sulfur oxides in the air when sunlight hits it. It's fucking stupid, poisonous and irresponsible. It's ignorant window dressing that's nothing more than a distraction from doing what everyone knows is what is actually the solution: quit burning so much combustible fuel for energy.
So if you can't get assholes ver. 1.0 to change, what are the other solutions?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
1. Publicly funded elections to get money out of gov't leadership
2. Publicly funded elections to get money out of gov't leadership
3. Publicly funded elections to get money out of gov't leadership
4. Profit
1. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
2. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
3. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
4. Profit Get Fucked

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
That's the thing......it will never happen under this current structure. It's too profitable to kill ourselves and the people doing it remain insulated from the consequences.

The idea that real solutions need to be market based or under the structure of investment returns is exactly what got us this fucked up petroleum based existence.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
1. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
2. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
3. Get privately funded politicians to stop privately funded gov't leadership.
4. Profit Get Fucked
how about limiting the funding of their retirement to just what they put into social security....

see how much they really want to serve the people.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I like when people build expensive one off vehicles and neglect things like "windows that open"

However, the Antarctica needed some modifications for 2023. In essence, current temperatures are too high for the EV's original design, with weather as balmy as 14˚F (-10˚C). There's a new ventilation system to prevent the greenhouse-like interior from baking its occupants in the Antarctic sunshine, as well as additional cooling for the EV's power electronics to dump that excess heat outside the vehicle.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
dammit, I went to go quote changleen's recent post where he eXpLaInEd how his globetrotting was fine because he paid 200 bucks to carbonclick.com but the fucker deleted it :rofl:
it is great that the fight to save the planet takes place at 5 star resorts and exotic locales and not at a lthium mine in africa shoulder to shoulder with the slave labor...

if only john kerrys plane would glide gently into the ocean or hit the side of a mountain....

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Ramblings.....

Gotta say, it's been discouraging to see climate change over my lifetime. Shorter winters, hotter summers. Setup the outdoor rink boards this year and never ended up putting out the liner since there was no prolonged stretch of cold weather this winter.

Changes are even more stark when listening to older generations discuss the changes... Eg - being able to drive across Lake Champlain from VT to NY in Winters....

Meanwhile I have a colleague reaching out to me as he landed a phase 2 SBIR to develop remote transmitter/sensing tech for flash food detection as the government recognizes the near term need for improved infrastructure and emergency alarm needs in at risk regions.....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
A nice cheerful article about the complexities of tipping points and general smaller-scale effects that climate modelling tends to miss.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
They'll need them for long-haul semi trucks, but not for passenger stuff.