Quantcast

Climate Change...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
just trying to think of something that they are managing well....
healthcare funding
snow removal
Generally speaking the highway system in a state with by far the most drivers on the road
Literally making their own insulin because stupid pharmaceutical companies.

for real

The state has money, a bit of some 'overqualified' people working there, and not a publicly traded stock price to make line go up. PGE has killed a few thousand people at this point with gas pipeline explosions and wildfires.

PGE is a buy up competitor monopoly. They're too big and too lazy. For all the dumbass shit CA state govt does, PGE is worse and more dangerous.

I've worked with quite a few people in state government that are legitimately competent and good people. Like everything else, the big problems come with the demagoguery from top down management from ego maniacs and clout chasers mobilizing a huge non-elected administrative arm. Not perfect but PGE's track record is pretty horrendous at this point.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
the nevada side of california....
hella east cal yo

I live about 0.5miles from the NV state line and rarely go too far west

This state operates like it's own nation. And like nations, the unintended consequences tend to be the ugliest side. We are the warning sign belleweather of true neoliberalism. But I have no doubt the state gov could do a better job than PGE. Same power hungry mindset but replaceable in elections. We don't get to vote out PGE CEOs.

Southern California Edison is the other big power company here operating in an even more flammable climate. They've torched a few communities but nothing on the scale of PGE

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Been looking at some modelling that suggests we may be in for a sustained El Niño run over one/three/x years. This could be bad if accurate, could push up global temperatures a couple of tenths of a degree fairly sharpish. I would once again suggest that living in the southwest of the continental USA isn’t a great idea as this trend intensifies.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Been looking at some modelling that suggests we may be in for a sustained El Niño run over one/three/x years. This could be bad if accurate, could push up global temperatures a couple of tenths of a degree fairly sharpish. I would once again suggest that living in the southwest of the continental USA isn’t a great idea as this trend intensifies.
We are at +5C over regular fall temperature at this time, with record rains over the last few months.

We are looking at the hottest fall in nearly 30 years.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i wonder how many guiltless carbon credits get purchased today....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
We are still at about 4-5C above "normal" temps for may.
It seems there isnt going to be a winter this year. Normally there is a 10C difference between summer/winter.
Well I for one can't wait to pay for rich people's houses to be saved.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
^that ain’t news. We had to fight tooth and nail to get our place insured. Finally had to explain that we are surrounded on three sides by tree farms. Tree farms get much better fire protection than municipal / public / wildlands, because they’re cash crops here.