Quantcast

Climate Change...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
^that ain’t news. We had to fight tooth and nail to get our place insured. Finally had to explain that we are surrounded on three sides by tree farms. Tree farms get much better fire protection than municipal / public / wildlands, because they’re cash crops here.
You could also just get Evergreen to knock the dust off some of those museum pieces and turn them into water bombers. SMRT.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
You could also just get Evergreen to knock the dust off some of those museum pieces and turn them into water bombers. SMRT.
I think that outfit’s shenanigans finally caught up with them a few years back. Anything serviceable is long gone if I am not mistaken. The front lawn of the water-park air-museum is a vineyard now….

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
I think that outfit’s shenanigans finally caught up with them a few years back. Anything serviceable is long gone if I am not mistaken. The front lawn of the water-park air-museum is a vineyard now….
Wtf? Really? I mean I know that whole outfit got it's super shady start doing "totally not US government stuff" in Vietnam, but that museum was AMAZING. Like, damn near Smithsonian Air and Space level stuff. Had a buddy that worked there for a bit, got some insider tour stuff. Super nerdy place for a fella like me.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Wtf? Really? I mean I know that whole outfit got it's super shady start doing "totally not US government stuff" in Vietnam, but that museum was AMAZING. Like, damn near Smithsonian Air and Space level stuff. Had a buddy that worked there for a bit, got some insider tour stuff. Super nerdy place for a fella like me.
Full disclosure - I drive past that museum about twice a week, but have never visited. So, I have no idea what’s going on in there. Several years ago it was all over the local papers that Evergreen was going under and liquidating all assets. Fire sale on tankers… Everyone just assumed that sketchy CIA missions were drying up or more likely just getting contracted to someone else.

(I assume that last sentence just got us all on a list somewhere…)

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Full disclosure - I drive past that museum about twice a week, but have never visited. So, I have no idea what’s going on in there. Several years ago it was all over the local papers that Evergreen was going under and liquidating all assets. Fire sale on tankers… Everyone just assumed that sketchy CIA missions were drying up or more likely just getting contracted to someone else.

(I assume that last sentence just got us all on a list somewhere…)
As a tanker company, they got in big trouble a few years back for faking/falsifying data and operating helicopters way outside of the mfrs limits. They basically made their own "limits", leading to several catastrophic accidents. I think that ended them as a company...the museum has managed to survive?

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
seems good

In the spring of 2020, the Arctic had its first full-blown ozone hole with more than half the ozone layer lost in places, which von der Gathen blames on rising CO2 concentrations. It could be the first of many.
@Jozz and @Jm_ will be able to work on their tans nicely

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
As the kid pointed out "Unless we stop using fossil fuels over the next five years"
Congrats on screen shoting a screen shot deliberately crafted to be miss leading.
Highlighting 2 disjointed parts so that the eye skips the "Why" part of the equation in the middle is a pathetic tactic.
im getting one of those new fangled lithium mines in my backyard in the near future....

we care alot.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I am given to understand that a relatively large insurer has stopped writing new home insurance policies for Florida. I am also given to understand that Florida makes most of it’s income from property taxes. This’ll be fun.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I am given to understand that a relatively large insurer has stopped writing new home insurance policies for Florida. I am also given to understand that Florida makes most of it’s income from property taxes. This’ll be fun.
Hadn't heard Florida. But two of the large insurers aren't offering policies in California any longer.

Which concerns Coloradans somewhat.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
Hadn't heard Florida. But two of the large insurers aren't offering policies in California any longer.
I don't understand the blanket decision to pull entirely out of California. High fire hazard areas? Sure. But the whole state? When my family moved to the Sierra foothills in 2015, there were a number of insurers who flat out would not write a policy, but still operated in the state (this was right after the Rough Fire).

My current suburban home on the central valley floor is not exactly at a high risk of being torched by wildfire. Anyone have any special insight into the world of insurance? Seems like it would be way more profitable to keep operating in low-risk areas. But, :homer:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Indeed. Our morons are so plentiful, we're exporting them to the rest of the country.
I can't help but laugh at all the coastal fucks moving to boise, bozeman, texas or florida.....the stark reality of mild coastal california weather being the reason people moved the other direction decades ago is slapping them in their smug, frost bitten, and swamp sweaty faces

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I can't help but laugh at all the coastal fucks moving to boise, bozeman, texas or florida.....the stark reality of mild coastal california weather being the reason people moved the other direction decades ago is slapping them in their smug, frost bitten, and swamp sweaty faces
These are people that live indoors. All their lives.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
Anecdotal: I know of 3 family units either actually moving or seriously talking about moving from CO to SC because "it's affordable".

I could give a shit how affordable it is, I'm not moving anywhere south of Mason/Dixon.