Quantcast

Climate Change...

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Lot's of fans are about to produce a brown spray.....
Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 11.17.47 AM.png

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Lot's of fans are about to produce a brown spray.....
View attachment 197644

I liked this bit from the comments

I'd argue they are already "over", in that capitalism has morphed into technofeudalism and liberal democracy has been replaced by a new authoritarianism

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
the real and true legacy of the industrialized american so called conservation movement

View attachment 198346
driven by climate change:
Scientific American said:
The loss of carbon absorption is driven in part by natural disasters such as wildfires, tornadoes and hurricanes, which are increasing in frequency and strength as global temperatures rise. The disasters destroy forestland, disrupting their ecosystem and decreasing their ability to absorb carbon, Riley said.
but also from people moving to the forested areas:
Development in forested areas, which the report projects will continue to increase, is having the same effect as people increasingly move to the so-called wildland urban interface.
though yes, better management could also play a role:
More aggressive forest management can help by cutting down a small portion of aging forests to make ways for younger trees that absorb more carbon, Riley said. A thorough study of each forest should be done before removing older trees, Riley said, comparing forest management to prescribing the proper drugs to a patient.
but my opinion on that is that our track record of geo-engineering the planet is.... spotty? not the best?

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
while aviation is not insignificant, road (passenger and freight) still eclipse it:
View attachment 199013 https://ourworldindata.org/co2-emissions-from-transport

so yeah, fly less. But even better, drive less, drive smaller cars, and don't buy as much shit. that still applies to the mega-rich, 1%ers we loathe so much. but also to a much broader swathe of society.
I saw a helitcopter land on the west shore of tahoe yesterday at mark zuckerbergs place on a flight tracker. Just commuting to work....200 miles away

It's just daunting to look at one tiny little snapshot in time of how many of those fucking things are in the air. And realize it's just continuous.

Clinging to car culture is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
View attachment 199018

And next time someone laments how it's not possible to do rail in the U.S. because of the vast distances/sparse populations involved, show them this 1919 map of rail lines in the U.S., when there were only ~104 million residents in the U.S.

View attachment 199019
thank the car manufacturers

Or in this case the shiny flammable toy manufacturer

spoiler alert: "yes"

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Interstate highway cost:

"The initial cost estimate for the system was $25 billion over 12 years; it ended up costing $114 billion (equivalent to $425 billion in 2006 or $558 billion in 2021) and took 35 years."

Just imagine if we dedicated a half-trillion dollars to rail.
Would be so nice to read a book instead of dodging flaming teslas on the road or seeing a turbine fall off the wing of your plane because of shareholder value.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I saw a helitcopter land on the west shore of tahoe yesterday at mark zuckerbergs place on a flight tracker. Just commuting to work....200 miles away

It's just daunting to look at one tiny little snapshot in time of how many of those fucking things are in the air. And realize it's just continuous.

Clinging to car culture is the dumbest fucking thing ever.
ok, so we're in agreement. but then why are you harping on Changleen so much?!

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
ok, so we're in agreement. but then why are you harping on Changleen so much?!
because he's a self avowed climate change warrior who is quite honestly one of the worst consumers of all that makes the planet heat up. And uses the white washing veneer of carbon credits and (I shit you not) 'carbon neutral' beer (as in the product who's most unique feature is that it literally just boils off co2) to gloss over that fact while continuing to do the things he jumps on other people about, and at a higher rate even.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
no such thing as approved pants

pants are a tool of oppression
Um, yeah. Goes without saying. But what about shirts ? Even Florida man has to don one in winter. Jackets, socks, etc. Inquiring minds want to know these things. We all know you hate Pattagucci, so what brands might be found in your closet ? Or is it all artisanal, boutique, free range lama stuff ?

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Ummm... @kidwoo harps on everyone,
Kidwoo is a harpy?
Ok yeah I can see that.

Har•py
(ˈhɑr pi)

n., pl. -pies.
1. any of a group of winged supernatural beings of classical myth, two or three in number, portrayed by later authors as rapacious female monsters.

2. (l.c.) a scolding, bad-tempered woman; shrew.

3. (l.c.) a greedy, predatory person.

[1540–50; < Latin Harpȳia, singular of Harpȳiae < Greek Hárpȳiai (pl.), literally, snatchers, akin to harpázein to snatch away]

harp′y•like`, adj.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Um, yeah. Goes without saying. But what about shirts ? Even Florida man has to don one in winter. Jackets, socks, etc. Inquiring minds want to know these things. We all know you hate Pattagucci, so what brands might be found in your closet ? Or is it all artisanal, boutique, free range lama stuff ?
are you bored?

do you even know what my problem with patagonia is?

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR