Quantcast

Climate Change...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
As in recontoured so that not even firefighters can use it if it were beneficial to stop fire advancement. Kind of a thing these days. The idiots who wrote this provision only think in terms of the destruction of logging. They don't realize fire crews use these old grades all the time too.
Let the forests burn in the fires of industry!!

1628271685460.png

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So. Here we are:

U.N. Secretary-General António Guterres described the report as a “code red for humanity”.

“The alarm bells are deafening,” he said in a statement. “This report must sound a death knell for coal and fossil fuels, before they destroy our planet.”
This means you making changes to your life. Yes, you. It means stopping the industries that pollute. It means governments legislating and leading. All of the above.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Yes I agree ‘net’ is bollocks. FYI that bit of text just comes through automagically when I paste certain links.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This I did not know. Not all hydrogen is "green"

Yup there is a veritable rainbow of hydrogen colours depending on how it is made, briefly a few important ones:

Green: made with only renewables, genuinely carbon free.

Blue: Made by steam reformation (Haber Bosch process) with carbon capture. Not very green at all all actually and luckily increasingly been seen as such.

Brown: As above but without carbon capture, almost the worst.

Pink: Made from nuclear power. YMMV on the benefits of this.

Black: Made from coal off-gassing, terrible but not much used.

There are others but whateverz

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yup there is a veritable rainbow of hydrogen colours depending on how it is made, briefly a few important ones:

Green: made with only renewables, genuinely carbon free.

Blue: Made by steam reformation (Haber Bosch process) with carbon capture. Not very green at all all actually and luckily increasingly been seen as such.

Brown: As above but without carbon capture, almost the worst.

Pink: Made from nuclear power. YMMV on the benefits of this.

Black: Made from coal off-gassing, terrible but not much used.

There are others but whateverz

I'll keep saying it, using electricity from a grid for hydrogen that is still burning shit is still bad. Yeah there may be a windmill farm down the road but that should be replacing coal+CNG plants before making hydrogen.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I agree and I’ll say it again: We need to make all efforts — all efforts — to reduce carbon footprints; personal, industrial, agricultural, systemic. Stop buying ICE cars. Stop burning stuff at all costs.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I agree and I’ll say it again: We need to make all efforts — all efforts — to reduce carbon footprints; personal, industrial, agricultural, systemic. Stop buying ICE cars. Stop burning stuff at all costs.

Also stop having kids.

Well maybe for biofuel.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Biofuel is still actual carbon in the actual atmosphere. It’s a stupid greenwashing thing. No burning children, Westy. If you must, use them as part of a regenerative farming compost cycle so they generate a net carbon drawdown.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I think most fusion people still want Tritium, so I need some plasma or something first…
Thorium reactors in the short term look possibly decent…except they can’t breed nuclear weapons, so that’ll never work….

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Thorium reactors in the short term look possibly decent…except they can’t breed nuclear weapons, so that’ll never work….
That’s a fission reactor. But it is a good idea anyway IMO. Just don’t build on a fault line or on the beach. :blink:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Just been having a bit of a read about this lab's work. Seems they are arguably, genuinely at 'ignition' energy levels (self sustaining fusion energy output) but IRL their system is not in any way optimised to actually do this sustained reaction. There are a few private orgs who I believe are actually closer to this.
However there are a few articles where they hint at some of the really exciting shit that comes as a free bonus with the already amazing promise of eventual near-free fusion energy; make your own elements. How cool will it be when not only do we get an energy source that is super powerful, abundant and clean but also lets us produce rare or useful elements as a tuneable bi-product? Of course this is another step of research away but we already see this is what stars do naturally.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@Changleen will appreciate the net result of this.

I just ran the math on installing panels on the house. Looking at my 1yr avg electric bill, backing out fixed expenses, the cost of solar is only an adtl $30/m. Given rates are going up and adjusting to usage hours in a few months and temps are going up, so more a/c usage, I can expect more near-term starting, permanent electricity usage. Even with a 3.99% 10yr loan on the panels, it's still effectively flat or cheaper than electric prices.

So guys, go look at panels. Seriously. The math is really good right now, let alone the climate benefits.

Last edited:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
@Changleen will appreciate the net result of this.

I just ran the math on installing panels on the house. Looking at my 1yr avg electric bill, backing out fixed expenses, the cost of solar is only an adtl $30/m. Given rates are going up and adjusting to usage hours in a few months and temps are going up, so more a/c usage, I can expect more near-term starting, permanent electricity usage. Even with a 3.99% 10yr loan on the panels, it's still effectively flat or cheaper than electric prices.

So guys, go look at panels. Seriously. The math is really good right now, let alone the climate benefits.
Lemme know who you go with... we're going to be due for a new roof, I'd wager, in the not-too-distant future and that'll be the prime time to do it...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We don't have too much roof facing south, our main exposure is to the west. I think our roof is 7 or 8 years old.

Someone advise me :D