Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
So when you make steel, you currently use coal to preferentially oxidise the carbon off the iron ore, and when normal concrete sets, it is essentially evaporating off loads of CO2 to ‘set’.

The iron/steel industry is currently responsible for 11ish% of global CO2 and concrete is also a significant factor, I can’t remember the number right now.

This is why Volvo are doing green hydrogen steel and people are looking at the chemistry of concrete and considering different carbonite precursors (also enabled by h2) in order to decarbonise these industrial heavy-hitters.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So when you make steel, you currently use coal to preferentially oxidise the carbon off the iron ore, and when normal concrete sets, it is essentially evaporating off loads of CO2 to ‘set’.

The iron/steel industry is currently responsible for 11ish% of global CO2 and concrete is also a significant factor, I can’t remember the number right now.

This is why Volvo are doing green hydrogen steel and people are looking at the chemistry of concrete and considering different carbonite precursors (also enabled by h2) in order to decarbonise these industrial heavy-hitters.

Carbon dioxide is emitted during the chemical reaction when the dry cement is made not during the cure. It also usually uses a lot of natural gas during the firing production.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

marketing really is sumpthin

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Alight change of topic from cement here, but following Changleen's comments about beef being one of the worst forms of food for the environment, we've been trying to be mindful to mitigate eating it. (Also fuck ranchers killing wolves.) We're going on almost a month now without buying any beef, just working through our frozen stuff and having chicken instead. I know we're just one household, but dammit! I'm trying here.

Hey @Changleen - if you could list the top-10 or -15 things any given household could do to reduce our total carbon footprint?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Alight change of topic from cement here, but following Changleen's comments about beef being one of the worst forms of food for the environment, we've been trying to be mindful to mitigate eating it. (Also fuck ranchers killing wolves.) We're going on almost a month now without buying any beef, just working through our frozen stuff and having chicken instead. I know we're just one household, but dammit! I'm trying here.

Hey @Changleen - if you could list the top-10 or -15 things any given household could do to reduce our total carbon footprint?
Not buying a 3k+ sqf house?

:busted:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
It’s gonna depend on where you live of course, so maybe here is a list of what we do at least. Of course it is a bit easier for me as 70-80% of all electrical power in Aotearoa is renewable already and the govt. is pushing for 100% by 2035 (I think?) which gives me a few easy wins. Anyway:

- Entire house is electrical powered, no gas or woodburners. As well as this we have all LED lights, and use heat pumps for heating to keep the bill down. Our house is well insulated and we are nearly there with full double glazing. (This is also a resilience thing here with the winds and storms we get sometimes!) Also double insulation on hot water cylinders and pipes which when we did it a few years ago was immediately noticed on the power bill, although it helped it was in winter.

-One car only, an 2nd hand EV (leaf) sometimes inconvenient but actually once you do it for a while you get used to it. Public transport is pretty good here now, mostly(!) and most busses are electric now. We both work from home a couple of days a week each so that helps too.

- Buy our power from a 100% renewable ‘gentailer’ so even though irl we get get 20-30% ‘dirty electrons’ we do not pay for that shit and we encourage more green to be built.

- Eat less beef and lamb, and when we do we get organic super-happy local stuff. As I’m sure you’ll find it’s quite easy to do this once you commit to it.

- Generally only eat locally produced food, organic as much as possible, my wife is super hard out about this. We get our milk delivered in glass bottles that we put out each week, and it’s super good full fat milk too. We of course have a few ‘luxury dirty’ items like for example these particular Italian tinned peaches that the whole fam loves, they are amazing, like eating sunshine — hence the carbon offsets…

- Regular ‘supermarket’ shopping is delivered rather than us driving there and back to get it, this is also a huge time and money saver, totally reduces ‘I’ll just grab..’ purchases and encourages meal planning which also reduces food waste and saves cost. We are conscious of the brands of things like beer and wine we buy with a little research it’s easy to find more ethical and green-focussed manufacturers.

- My wife is also on a mission to reduce waste and packaging. We have a local ‘packaging free’ store where we buy a bunch of our staples, you take along your old containers, weigh them on the way in, then use the same ones again and again. Most of our major dry/staple cooking ingredients come from there now; flour, rice, beans, pasta, nuts, corn, snack foods like pretzels, chocolate hazelnuts, shit like that, also all our household detergents, soaps, bodywashes, spray cleaners etc, that alone makes a massive difference. Oh also coffee and stuff like maple syrup. In lockdown we couldn’t use this for a couple of weeks and it’s shocking how much packaging we’re not throwing out now, kilos a month I would say. Again this sounds like a faff but once you’re ‘set up’ it’s actually easy as, actually you get what you need so food waste is reduced too and we have a set if nice containers that stack so it’s actually great for freeing up pantry space too.

- Have a family carbon offset subscription (about $100 a month) and also just randomly pay for trees to get planted when it feels needed. Be careful with these, some are total bs. Offset the evil things you do. You know what they are I’m sure!

- Recycle all the things we can, and also recently there are so many good second-hand stores around (it’s getting pretty trendy here) so a good portion of non-‘smart’ clothing we buy from these when we can and often kid’s birthday gifts we try to do quality regifting rather than new plastic shit.

- Both my wife and I work in jobs that actively do or will result in green tech being more widely used. This feels really good, not sure I could go back now.

- We recently had to buy a couple of new appliances and we ‘did our research’ here too to ensure we get high quality, fixable, super-low energy rated stuff. It is a fair bit more expensive but over 10 years it’s a big difference in how much power we’ll use. Generally when you buy new stuff just take care that you buy quality from the more ethically minded manufacturers, as I said somewhere else vote for good (doesn’t have to be perfect always) with your wallet.

That’s all I can think of for now…

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It’s gonna depend on where you live of course, so maybe here is a list of what we do at least. Of course it is a bit easier for me as 70-80% of all electrical power in Aotearoa is renewable already and the govt. is pushing for 100% by 2035 (I think?) which gives me a few easy wins. Anyway:

- Entire house is electrical powered, no gas or woodburners. As well as this we have all LED lights, and use heat pumps for heating to keep the bill down. Our house is well insulated and we are nearly there with full double glazing. (This is also a resilience thing here with the winds and storms we get sometimes!) Also double insulation on hot water cylinders and pipes which when we did it a few years ago was immediately noticed on the power bill, although it helped it was in winter.

-One car only, an 2nd hand EV (leaf) sometimes inconvenient but actually once you do it for a while you get used to it. Public transport is pretty good here now, mostly(!) and most busses are electric now. We both work from home a couple of days a week each so that helps too.

- Buy our power from a 100% renewable ‘gentailer’ so even though irl we get get 20-30% ‘dirty electrons’ we do not pay for that shit and we encourage more green to be built.

- Eat less beef and lamb, and when we do we get organic super-happy local stuff. As I’m sure you’ll find it’s quite easy to do this once you commit to it.

- Generally only eat locally produced food, organic as much as possible, my wife is super hard out about this. We get our milk delivered in glass bottles that we put out each week, and it’s super good full fat milk too. We of course have a few ‘luxury dirty’ items like for example these particular Italian tinned peaches that the whole fam loves, they are amazing, like eating sunshine — hence the carbon offsets…

- Regular ‘supermarket’ shopping is delivered rather than us driving there and back to get it, this is also a huge time and money saver, totally reduces ‘I’ll just grab..’ purchases and encourages meal planning which also reduces food waste and saves cost. We are conscious of the brands of things like beer and wine we buy with a little research it’s easy to find more ethical and green-focussed manufacturers.

- My wife is also on a mission to reduce waste and packaging. We have a local ‘packaging free’ store where we buy a bunch of our staples, you take along your old containers, weigh them on the way in, then use the same ones again and again. Most of our major dry/staple cooking ingredients come from there now; flour, rice, beans, pasta, nuts, corn, snack foods like pretzels, chocolate hazelnuts, shit like that, also all our household detergents, soaps, bodywashes, spray cleaners etc, that alone makes a massive difference. Oh also coffee and stuff like maple syrup. In lockdown we couldn’t use this for a couple of weeks and it’s shocking how much packaging we’re not throwing out now, kilos a month I would say. Again this sounds like a faff but once you’re ‘set up’ it’s actually easy as, actually you get what you need so food waste is reduced too and we have a set if nice containers that stack so it’s actually great for freeing up pantry space too.

- Have a family carbon offset subscription (about $100 a month) and also just randomly pay for trees to get planted when it feels needed. Be careful with these, some are total bs. Offset the evil things you do. You know what they are I’m sure!

- Recycle all the things we can, and also recently there are so many good second-hand stores around (it’s getting pretty trendy here) so a good portion of non-‘smart’ clothing we buy from these when we can and often kid’s birthday gifts we try to do quality regifting rather than new plastic shit.

- Both my wife and I work in jobs that actively do or will result in green tech being more widely used. This feels really good, not sure I could go back now.

- We recently had to buy a couple of new appliances and we ‘did our research’ here too to ensure we get high quality, fixable, super-low energy rated stuff. It is a fair bit more expensive but over 10 years it’s a big difference in how much power we’ll use. Generally when you buy new stuff just take care that you buy quality from the more ethically minded manufacturers, as I said somewhere else vote for good (doesn’t have to be perfect always) with your wallet.

That’s all I can think of for now…
I wish the packaging free stores were more common. But then I'd also have to deal with people's grubby mits being near the food I'm going to eat.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I wish the packaging free stores were more common. But then I'd also have to deal with people's grubby mits being near the food in going to eat.
Ah, the sort of people who go to these are pretty good and they’ve designed it to be easy to be clean and hygienic. There is a staff member just cleaning shit all the time and for example there is a sink for customer use in the detergent section so you don’t end up with drips etc. The whole place is done out in white, with a few plants around, it’s pretty cool actually.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Ah, the sort of people who go to these are pretty good and they’ve designed it to be easy to be clean and hygienic. There is a staff member just cleaning shit all the time and for example there is a sink for customer use in the detergent section so you don’t end up with drips etc. The whole place is done out in white, with a few plants around, it’s pretty cool actually.
Yeah, but I've been to NZ and it's a functioning country.

Have you met Murica?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Here’s their website; I think the pics are from the Auckland one…

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Oh, don’t buy anything from Nestle or PepsiCo either, they are particularly evil. They should be forced to have dead Orangutans on their packaging like the diseased lungs on cigarette packs. I think Unilever are the least awful multinational…

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Oh, don’t buy anything from Nestle or PepsiCo either, they are particularly evil. They should be forced to have dead Orangutans on their packaging like the diseased lungs on cigarette packs. I think Unilever are the least awful multinational…
We have the Nestle products list saved to our phones. The only problem are the generics they make for grocers - you can't identify those items.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
One more, a while ago we used https://nz.cogo.co/ for a while, I wonder if such a thing exists in the US? They have an app which links to your bank account, and after a while you can use it to help understand if you’re buying stuff from assholes. It is not perfect yet, but a good idea.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

Whenever I see all the adds from orgs desperate to have people adopt abandoned animals, I think that those animals could be used to feed people...rather than just put down...Am I bad?

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Whenever I see all the adds from orgs desperate to have people adopt abandoned animals, I think that those animals could be used to feed people...rather than just put down...Am I bad?
carnivores and omnivores don't taste good. now bunnies on the other hand...

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
You sharpening the wedge for eventual Soylent Green?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I don’t think that’s particularly bad at all. I guess there might be a lot of hygiene issues though as they often aren’t raised in a controlled/known environment…

That aside our definition of ‘pets’ is highly cultural and contextual.

The French and Japanese eat horse, other cultures think that’s weird (although it’s almost certainly in their dog food) (I quite like it but it’s a bit boring). And well over a billion people think we’re weird and gross for eating pig.

I have had from-scratch (scratch meaning a .222 rifle and a fillet knife) rabbit pie which is the most labour intensive pie ever, it took like 16 fucking rabbits to make a pie for 4 that wasn’t even that big.

I want us to develop good vatmeat ASAP though, great for environment and ethics.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
The important thing is we do vatmeat properly, because it will be amazingly useful and hilarious.
By properly I mean we learn to do meat from genetic code. This is important because it means that as well as having guilt-free tasty Dodo fillet on the barbecue, later we’ll have fresh organs for transplants when we need them.
And imagine how much cash famous athletes could make from licensing their DNA.
‘What’s for dinner Mum?’
‘We have leftover Simone Biles rump steak or there’s Usain Bolt spareribs’
‘Awww. Agaiiinnn?’

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I just discovered something interesting about solar - diy installation. Few buddies here in the 'burbs have also been looking at putting in solar, but the front end costs have been prohibitive and loan structure is negatively beneficial.

This site sells prepackaged, with all code installation necessary documents, solar packages for half the px of professional installation. If you have any functional ability to use tools and follow instructions, it's an easy install. The only point I'd call in a pro is for the box hook up. Even with safety gear and potential need for new tools (tall ladder, extra framing hammers, etc) I'm looking at a less than 9 year payoff (see attached for pricing document). I've got 2-3 guys who are already game to help me install and we're estimating time for install at 2-3 weekends (if that long)

@Pesqueeb CO Springs Energy has some secondary perks for solar too.

Attachments

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Oh, don’t buy anything from Nestle or PepsiCo either, they are particularly evil.
seriously.

I just discovered something interesting about solar - diy installation.
installing rooftop solar isn't particularly complex, but it does involve working at heights and electricity, which many/most people don't know how to do safely.
always consult whoever holds the warranty on your roof. they're notorious for weaseling out of coverage, and might require work being done by licensed GC or installer, as there isn't any uniform credentials for roofers. I know of very expensive roof warranties that were voided.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
seriously.

installing rooftop solar isn't particularly complex, but it does involve working at heights and electricity, which many/most people don't know how to do safely.
always consult whoever holds the warranty on your roof. they're notorious for weaseling out of coverage, and might require work being done by licensed GC or installer, as there isn't any uniform credentials for roofers. I know of very expensive roof warranties that were voided.
Well, given we have no idea for who holds the warranty on our roof (prior owner install), no concerns there.

And the electrical looks relatively simple. I just won't touch the live box. This system is almost entirely plug and play from the panels to the box. With my house I can do it without even having to go through the roof with the wiring - all conduit, so no extra junctions.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
ok, but you don't want a leaky roof either. at least learn best practices for install, flashing, sealing, etc.
On of the guys who will be helping me (if I end up doing it) just built a 500sqft covered outdoor patio - all of it himself and his brother. We're good there. Plus I'm not an idiot by any means; I understand the basics there.