Quantcast

Climate Change...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
@Pesqueeb CO Springs Energy has some secondary perks for solar too.
Appreciate the heads up. I'd have to look to be sure, but I probably got to have at least 10 years left on my lease in the local solar garden. I'm sure panels have improved, but back when I looked to have solar installed on our house nealry a decade ago, the square footage of my roof was too small to get the 100% coverage I was looking for at the time, which is why I opted to get into the community solar garden.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Tesla Energy makes it pretty easy. All via the website. They look up your home's orientation and roof via Google Maps or the like.
You have to buy a power wall too. So the solar is cheaper than anybody else, but the battery brings it back up to the same px.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Just got my actual solar quote - $9700. 1/3 of Tesla's, which is the least expensive on the market currently. That's a 6 year payoff for me, assuming a 3.5% rate on the loan and no inflation on the px of power.

Yeah, I can spend a few weekends doing that to save $14k on the front end and $35k (at 2% inflation) over the following 20 years (let alone corresponding growth vs. expense).

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Nice.
I looked at PV for my last house but the break even was ridiculous because I use so little power.
I averaged this winter 8.7kw a day/$80-90 a month so the $17,000 I was quoted would take forever to pay itself back.
I'll probably still go PV and off grid when I build the new house but that's a ways down the track.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Good article. Also I totally recommend Adam Curtis’ work to all Monkeys. He has a unique viewpoint of our political and social situations and our group reactions to them. Also great soundtracks… Pretty sure I have mentioned him before in the distant past… A lot of it can be found on YouTube but if not the torrents are your friend. Filmography can be found herewith:

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Good article. Also I totally recommend Adam Curtis’ work to all Monkeys. He has a unique viewpoint of our political and social situations and our group reactions to them. Also great soundtracks… Pretty sure I have mentioned him before in the distant past… A lot of it can be found on YouTube but if not the torrents are your friend. Filmography can be found herewith:

Seconded - watch all of the Curtis. It's more essayistic than journalistic I'd say, but it makes for excellent and informative viewing. Like you say, with a unique point of view.

Century of the Self and The Power of Nightmares are still my favourites.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
My dad caught this, most likely while fighting fire, when I was in high school. He survived, but never really recovered. I can't prove it of course, but I 100% believe his death 18 months ago is directly attributable to Valley Fever.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Same here. Seems to have finally overcome it, but it took years and was really sketchy for a few of those years.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
My dad caught this, most likely while fighting fire,
also in socal correct?

Same here. Seems to have finally overcome it, but it took years and was really sketchy for a few of those years.
From around fire debris? Where in the country was this?

I ask because I also know of some firefighters who have gotten it over the last few years. Young guys.

Pesqueeb

Feb 2, 2007
also in socal correct?
It was assumed as much. To be fair, the old man fought fire all over the southwest his entire career. It's certainly possible that he picked it up in any number of states mentioned in that article, or even some that weren't. As I understand it, the "incubation" period for valley fever is presumed to possibly be up to any number of years. We just happened to be living in southern/central California at the time he got sick. This was back in 94/95 when first got sick. He would have been my age at the time. Early/mid-40's.

Also, may be a bit of a selection bias. Wildland fire is hardly the domain of old dudes, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise that young people are getting Valley Fever. The old man was in more of a command/supervisory role by then. 40 is ancient on a fire line.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
also in socal correct?

From around fire debris? Where in the country was this?

I ask because I also know of some firefighters who have gotten it over the last few years. Young guys.
Not fire debris, it's something fungal in the dirt that is disturbed in one of many ways, such as construction, dust, etc. This is why it's such a thing in the dry dusty Phoenix basin, so much construction eternally on the edges and it keeps dust kicked up (plus it's one of the worst places for air quality in the winter, inversion traps everything). I'd imagine that fire could do it for the same reasons, kicking up dirt and dust. Nasty fungal infection that is hard as F to shake (with medication, nebulizer, steriods, etc.).

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Not fire debris, it's something fungal in the dirt that is disturbed in one of many ways, such as construction, dust, etc. I'd imagine that fire could do it for the same reasons. Nasty fungal infection that is hard as F to shake (with medication, nebulizer, steriods, etc.).
the fire thing seems to be kind of a pattern though...

So you're probably right. The guys I know drive dozer lines

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Big fan of this idea:

I'm a bigger fan of not playing stupid games and just holding oil companies accountable and getting them the fuck out of government. They've been the recipient of a century long, taxpayer funded blow job. They've fought evolving their companies the whole damn time, and actively waged propaganda campaigns to avoid accountability. It's time to bite it off.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I'm a bigger fan of not playing stupid games and just holding oil companies accountable and getting them the fuck out of government. They've been the recipient of a century long, taxpayer funded blow job. They've fought evolving their companies the whole damn time, and actively waged propaganda campaigns to avoid accountability. It's time to bite it off.
I know some of you are pretty down on TED but this is worth a watch. 1 hour long but super interesting:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I know some of you are pretty down on TED but this is worth a watch. 1 hour long but super interesting:

You know if you can download audio only versions from there?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Given what happens, it’s worth the video. You need to see people’s faces.
OMG :rofl:

that was even more exactly what I thought it was than I thought it was

32:00 pretty much sums it up

No one needs shit lib hosts glossing over any of this. Deep breaths and civil discussion are why nothing changes. The only way that would have ever meant anything is if sin fein barged down and beheaded some bitches on that stage.

'both sides' fuck TED for hosting that nonsense over and over again. We don't need to hear from shell hair, they have a greenwashed website.

market bro and oil bro have had their century long chance. And activistchick blew a chance to really drive it home.

capital bro "we don't believe in divestment" fuck all these people who can only think in money

Give activistchick a bomb and we can talk. Don't put her on a stage with these tools. mArKeTsOlUtIOnS to mArKeT pRoBleMs.....fuck off. All of 'em. This isn't a market problem. Exxon invented the Li-ion battery........yeah dickbag on billions of dollars of subsidies over decades. I hate tech bro more than shell bro. At least shell bro is exactly what everyone knows he is. Not all solutions have 'what's the most money' as a starting point.

God dammit I hate these 'civil debate forums between satan and the only people who care which means 20 year olds'

so performative......so meaningless

Last edited: