Quantcast

Climate Change...

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's okay that half of Murica is on fire and a chunk fell off a massive Greenland ice shelf, mango says it's going to get cooler. Not sure if he's referring to sometime soon or when the sun has become a white dwarf...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It's okay that half of Murica is on fire and a chunk fell off a massive Greenland ice shelf, mango says it's going to get cooler. Not sure if he's referring to sometime soon or when the sun has become a white dwarf...

Yeah, one day it will just all disappear.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
he and mr woods discuss all things climate while doing coke off of ivanka's ass....

20200915_023854.jpg

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
That's some real Bigly Brian time right there. :rolleyes:
So many idiots that honestly think there are no fires in southern BC right now............

hey @stoney : ready made post for ya if someone in your family starts spouting that shit

The fires are a hoax! They're all in Canada, with none actually burning in the US. You can see it here. Notice how there's NOTHING burning in the states!!! They're just pushing the smoke down here to make us wear masks! Don't be a sheep!

bcfires.JPG

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
So many idiots that honestly think there are no fires in southern BC right now............

hey @stoney : ready made post for ya if someone in your family starts spouting that shit

The fires are a hoax! They're all in Canada, with none actually burning in the US. You can see it here. Notice how there's NOTHING burning in the states!!! They're just pushing the smoke down here to make us wear masks! Don't be a sheep!

View attachment 149766
Ironically, they aren't saying anything like that. Just that climate change is having no impact on causing them.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
They still might. There's a definitive pipepline of bullshit posted on twitter, to bullshit posted on facebook to bullshit reported by fox news to the recycled bullshit on facebook.

Right now the the aNtifA mAkE fOrST fiReS! noT gLoBaL wArMiNgS!! hasn't quite run out. Idiots are using a small handful of arsonists arrested in oregon and california who got caught trying to start fires AFTER the big ones blew up in the woods to show that climate change has nothing to do with fires, completely missing the point that the conditions are responsible for spread, not ignition.

The canadian border question will probably pop up along the timber industry lobbying that 'wE gOttA cLEaR cUt n0W!!' as proof that canada cuts trees so canada isn't on fire.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Given my buddy's house just burned down last night in a fire that went from 20k > 125k acres in 12hrs, I decided to do a bit of rsch to see how much the weather (I use that specifically) has changed in CO lately. Locally we know we're in a drought. The extent to which and duration of which, I was not aware.

@6thElement brought this to the attention of us in the Colorado Monkey chat we have going on. To summarize 100% of the state is in a drought with ~17% in the worst classification possible. Exciting.

We got fuck all of rain in this year's monsoon season, so I wanted to see just how little did we get.

So here you go *obviously targeted data source, but data is data:
2020 YTD 7.41" vs. avg 14.3". That's bad. We have 2 months to get 7" of precipitation to just hit average. Given we're getting into snow season, we need to up our game a lot. Oh, and 12" of snow = 1" of water, we need 7' of snow in Denver in the next 2 months to hit average precipitation levels. So yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath there.

As for that 14.3' average precipitation level? Interesting little tidbit there - in 1995 it was 15.81". It's been so dry for so long, that our average precipitation levels have dropped by 10%. Only 9 of the last 25 years have been above average levels, and those were far closer to average than those that were short.

What about heat though? It couldn't have gotten that much hotter recently, could it? Let's check. Hmm... 24 of the last 25 years the eoy day count was hotter than the day count historically. And each time there is a hotter day, it drives the average higher... that means it should get harder, right? And 17 of those had over 10% of their days hit higher temps. And we're averaging over 9 record highs per year vs. 3 record low temps.

What in the fucking, fuck is wrong with people who can't see this shit? 25 years isn't weather. It's fucking climate! We've had three brush fires within 1 mile of our house this year and our Trumper/(R) family members just talk about how happy we should be we have good firefighters. Though they get really unhappy when I say that we are hindered by TABOR, so we can't raise state taxes to pay for more firefighters or preventative work. When I switched our home to LED (from incandescent), bought the electric car, and started to restrict our water usage they just said "why?". My projects next year include ripping out half our lawn and putting in xeriscape, putting in more insulation, and likely getting solar panels, and the response is still "why?".

/rant

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yeah, the monsoon didn't work this year. In Eastern AZ, where my parents live, they recorded around half of normal, over in Prescott, similar elevation, on the slightly Western side, 20%. When I rode there a few weeks ago, it was incredibly dry, as in I've never really seen it that dry and dusty, in Prescott, Flag, Payson, etc. I did find two nice creeks on one of the rides near Payson and one spring in Prescott, but otherwise, not a drop to be found and I got a bad sinus reaction the first day after riding due to all the dust. It was unseasonably warm, temps still in the 90s at high elevation. The whole place is a tinderbox. We did a drive one day on the Mogolloon Rim and of course one fool had flames 4-feet in a campfire during a 100% burn-ban. We stopped the first FS truck we found and reported it.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Despite the fact I can't see more than 100 yards outside due to low cloud, we haven't have any precip since mid-Sept when we had an early snow.

Basically we're fucked from drought, which will fuck us with more fires and that's if the COVID's don't get you first.

GL to all those with kids. It's one of the reasons I never wanted offspring, I knew from an early age that things weren't going to be rosy in the future.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Given my buddy's house just burned down last night in a fire that went from 20k > 125k acres in 12hrs, I decided to do a bit of rsch to see how much the weather (I use that specifically) has changed in CO lately. Locally we know we're in a drought. The extent to which and duration of which, I was not aware.

@6thElement brought this to the attention of us in the Colorado Monkey chat we have going on. To summarize 100% of the state is in a drought with ~17% in the worst classification possible. Exciting.

We got fuck all of rain in this year's monsoon season, so I wanted to see just how little did we get.

So here you go *obviously targeted data source, but data is data:
2020 YTD 7.41" vs. avg 14.3". That's bad. We have 2 months to get 7" of precipitation to just hit average. Given we're getting into snow season, we need to up our game a lot. Oh, and 12" of snow = 1" of water, we need 7' of snow in Denver in the next 2 months to hit average precipitation levels. So yeah, I'm not going to hold my breath there.

As for that 14.3' average precipitation level? Interesting little tidbit there - in 1995 it was 15.81". It's been so dry for so long, that our average precipitation levels have dropped by 10%. Only 9 of the last 25 years have been above average levels, and those were far closer to average than those that were short.

What about heat though? It couldn't have gotten that much hotter recently, could it? Let's check. Hmm... 24 of the last 25 years the eoy day count was hotter than the day count historically. And each time there is a hotter day, it drives the average higher... that means it should get harder, right? And 17 of those had over 10% of their days hit higher temps. And we're averaging over 9 record highs per year vs. 3 record low temps.

What in the fucking, fuck is wrong with people who can't see this shit? 25 years isn't weather. It's fucking climate! We've had three brush fires within 1 mile of our house this year and our Trumper/(R) family members just talk about how happy we should be we have good firefighters. Though they get really unhappy when I say that we are hindered by TABOR, so we can't raise state taxes to pay for more firefighters or preventative work. When I switched our home to LED (from incandescent), bought the electric car, and started to restrict our water usage they just said "why?". My projects next year include ripping out half our lawn and putting in xeriscape, putting in more insulation, and likely getting solar panels, and the response is still "why?".

/rant
Trump voters:

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Despite the fact I can't see more than 100 yards outside due to low cloud, we haven't have any precip since mid-Sept when we had an early snow.

Basically we're fucked from drought, which will fuck us with more fires and that's if the COVID's don't get you first.

GL to all those with kids. It's one of the reasons I never wanted offspring, I knew from an early age that things weren't going to be rosy in the future.

I blame the boomers and gen X.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My projects next year include ripping out half our lawn and putting in xeriscape
living for 4 years in texas when i was s kid....the smart neighbors did not have lawns at all....just landscaping rock.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
living for 4 years in texas when i was s kid....the smart neighbors did not have lawns at all....just landscaping rock.
HOA mandate requires min % and the girls still play on the grass. I'm going to start over seeding next year with fine fescue, which takes half as much water as KY bluegrass. It will take a few years to over grow the KY, but it's hard to buy fescue sod.

I'll probably leave the flat portion of the yard on the left side of the drive as grass. Then 2/3 of the other side (3/4 of lawn) convert over. Wifey wants garden beds too, so I'll probably rear out a chunk in the backyard and put in beds on drop lines.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
@Changleen .....there is going to be a apartment complex being built in the charlotte area with no parking for cars...

it could be approached that way...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
HOA mandate requires min % and the girls still play on the grass. I'm going to start over seeding next year with fine fescue, which takes half as much water as KY bluegrass. It will take a few years to over grow the KY, but it's hard to buy fescue sod.

I'll probably leave the flat portion of the yard on the left side of the drive as grass. Then 2/3 of the other side (3/4 of lawn) convert over. Wifey wants garden beds too, so I'll probably rear out a chunk in the backyard and put in beds on drop lines.
Wife and I were just discussing this. Seems my winter projects will be taking out half the grass in the back for new veg area, old veg area getting turned into coop/chicken run, front yard full xeriscape. Fortunately, I do not need an HOAs approval.

Also; the beetle kill on both sides of wolf creek pass today was downright horrifying. It's a god damned tinder box up there.

Last edited:

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
More great news. This (positive feedback loops) is the sort of stuff that for ages the IPCC models haven't been taking account of because countries like the US — actually pretty much just the US as this stage — won't countenance that incredibly likely effects of climate change are actually happening until they are in full swing. This head in the sand attitude is lethal for humanity. Well, shocker, now they are happening and we're up shit creek. If this turns out to be as bad as some people think it might be we are pretty well screwed. Time for large scale geoengineering projects NOW.

More great news. This (positive feedback loops) is the sort of stuff that for ages the IPCC models haven't been taking account of because countries like the US — actually pretty much just the US as this stage — won't countenance that incredibly likely effects of climate change are actually happening until they are in full swing. This head in the sand attitude is lethal for humanity. Well, shocker, now they are happening and we're up shit creek. If this turns out to be as bad as some people think it might be we are pretty well screwed. Time for large scale geoengineering projects NOW.

Screw geoengineering projects. Let the earth do its own thing and suffer the consequences we have earned.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
@JBP, No — I can't and won't just sit by and let the actions (and non-actions) of others destroy the future for everyone else. Honestly, that seems a little too much like Donnie Dickhead's non-response to the pandemic. We can do things about this, so we should.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Screw geoengineering projects. Let the earth do its own thing and suffer the consequences we have earned.
@JBP, No — I can't and won't just sit by and let the actions (and non-actions) of others destroy the future for everyone else. Honestly, that seems a little too much like Donnie Dickhead's non-response to the pandemic. We can do things about this, so we should.
Man, I'm am square on the fence between both of these arguments. On one hand, reap/sow, on the other, moral obligation to help or provide a better future to those we leave behind.