Quantcast

Climate Change...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A coworker if mine was into trading bitcoin and had made a lot of money until his computer got hacked and had $139,000 worth stolen.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
So a thing you acknowledge as a scam, produces additional measurable TONS of CO2 to create what is essentially ethereal bullshit out of nothing, is okay because you are benefiting from it?
No, it is OK because it is offering a way out of the artificial and harmful hegemony of the USD and other fiat currencies. The US has used it’s power over the world’s reserve currency to cause pain, suffering and death to millions. It should end as soon as possible.
Do you really think I am that shallow?
Everything has upsides and downsides, absolutely everything.
And do you really think the support apparatus for your fiat is carbon neutral? All the people who work in banks, Wall st, all those financial institutions, loan companies, etc in the US and round the world, all those computers, servers, so much infrastructure to support the current regime, just because no one has added that up (because it doesn’t suit an agenda) doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist and I’d bet it is on an equal or greater scale.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
No, it is OK because it is offering a way out of the artificial and harmful hegemony of the USD and other fiat currencies. The US has used it’s power over the world’s reserve currency to cause pain, suffering and death to millions. It should end as soon as possible.
Don't worry, Trump is on the job!
Do you really think I am that shallow?
No. But claims that different bullshit will somehow cure the world of bullshit are.......dubious.
Everything has upsides and downsides, absolutely everything.
And do you really think the support apparatus for your fiat is carbon neutral? All the people who work in banks, Wall st, all those financial institutions, loan companies, etc in the US and round the world, all those computers, servers, so much infrastructure to support the current regime, just because no one has added that up (because it doesn’t suit an agenda) doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist and I’d bet it is on an equal or greater scale.
Sure. But you're basically making the claim that by adding to the carbon problem with extra sketchy bitcoin, you somehow solve the carbon problem of sketchy traditional banking.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
The carbon issue is a red herring in this case as far as I am concerned. All electrical power needs to transition to provision from renewable sources, this is just part of that. Much more interesting/important to me re: BTC are the structures/belief systems/capabilities of crypto vs. fiat. I especially think the structures of capitalism and the leverage of the USD by the US and IMF have been and continue to be somewhat anti-human, trapping millions in poverty and terrible life outcomes just so a tiny few others have more yacht money. BTC offers a way out of this choke hold, and we already see some countries, notably those directly oppressed by the US, starting to transition to it. Good for them.

I used to have a fair bit of BTC but I spent it when it had appreciated a few hundred percent from my initial buy-in, and now I have a hobby amount, which I add to when I can afford it. Doing OK atm. It’s impossible to predict the future but as I said institutional money is starting to flow into it in serious amounts now, and I can see it getting a lot higher in value.
It is a constrained resource, there will only ever be 21 million BTC, so as long as people find it useful, I can’t really see it becoming worthless or worth less (significantly) anytime soon. It goes up and down like crazy still though, with a positive overall trend so just accept that.
I still apply the ‘don’t invest what you can’t afford to loose’ principle.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Ouch! Was he holding it in an exchange? If you’re careful that shouldn’t really be able to happen...
I think so. Not sure of the details, FBI got involved. He took it well as he still was up on his initial investment. He was also the kind of guy who could go to vegas and lose a bunch of money, get home and say he had a great time.

I personally only like to gamble with my life, on a bike.

UnusualBread

Chimp
Nov 2, 2020
Has anyone found any article or have thoughts on what places in the world are going to be ok places to ride out the climate change that is coming?

As thoughts of buying a home and figuring out where I want to live for the next while, climate change impact has definitely been on my mind.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Has anyone found any article or have thoughts on what places in the world are going to be ok places to ride out the climate change that is coming?

As thoughts of buying a home and figuring out where I want to live for the next while, climate change impact has definitely been on my mind.
Not Florida.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Indiana, move to Indiana.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I have no knowledge of places at higher latitudes that are getting warmer.