Quantcast

Climate Change...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
There are also people who fully recognize it then just shrug their shoulders, pump out a bunch of kids, buy multiple giant homes, get the organic avocados , $100K Tesla and think they are doing good. It used to make me mad, but then I realized is their lizard brains and programmatic need to duplicate genetic materials, neither give a shit if their kids suffer horribly in the climate wars. I just kick back knowing I'll be worn out and done with this shit when the time comes. Sip on a bloody mary and imagine how much hydration and nutrition a severed jugular could provide.
Its the prisoner dilemma, but all those who dont rat out first loose their planet.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Now here is a situation where the world might benefit from some US intervention:

okay name one remotely recent situation where US intervention has resulted in a true positive (preferably long-term) outcome for humanity

I'm trying to think of some myself and uh.....yeah

We just turn things into profit opportunities and call it spreading democracy or some dumb shit

I think WW2 was the last and the more you learn about russian WW2 history the more that even comes into question. I mean we imprisoned japanese people and turned away ships full of refugees....so I'm real curious to know the truth about what happened on the war side. We don't even tell the truth about our own history.

Would love to know how that stuff is covered in NZ

meanwhile......

Last edited:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
That’s where I live. I displayed impeccable timing by leaving for a vacation a day before this started.

My father grew up in a floodplain that would get hammered during hurricanes in New Jersey. Living on high ground has been a family tradition ever since.

Sandro

Terrified of Cucumbers
Nov 12, 2006
The old world
Anything left to home too?
Hope your place is ok mate.
Thanks, all good so far apart from some water in the basement. My place is really close to the Rhine, so I'm hoping that won't rise any higher as it's just a few inches away from flooding the city, but it appears to be tapering off. My company is in one of the more affected towns, but fortunately on a hill and completely fine.

But boy, some of the towns I go riding in are just gone and I wonder what the death toll will be a week from now. The level of destruction is crazy.

Let's hope at least the wine can be salvaged.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
Thanks, all good so far apart from some water in the basement. My place is really close to the Rhine, so I'm hoping that won't rise any higher as it's just a few inches away from flooding the city, but it appears to be tapering off. My company is in one of the more affected towns, but fortunately on a hill and completely fine.

But boy, some of the towns I go riding in are just gone and I wonder what the death toll will be a week from now. The level of destruction is crazy.

Let's hope at least the wine can be salvaged.
Unbelievable pic! Best of luck to you all.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
"We'd like to now use our full allocation of water, even though there isn't enough for everyone"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
weird....in backyard....

weird....in backyard....

Should be OK, it's for little motorcycles, I mean ebikes.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
So 10 million a year out of a (current population of about 7.9 billion?
Or to put it another way 20% of the INCREASE in population so far this year.

I don't think 10 million per annum is enough for our species to give a shit to be honnest.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So 10 million a year out of a (current population of about 7.9 billion?
Or to put it another way 20% of the INCREASE in population so far this year.

I don't think 10 million per annum is enough for our species to give a shit to be honnest.
Don't worry. One of those ancient viruses popping out of the climate change induced thawing permafrost will get the rest of us!

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
My only connection to Asahi Shimbun is from the William Gibson Neuromancer trilogy from the '80s, and his version of a dystopian future written back then is way less worse that the one we are getting.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
when I got into renewable energy I used to get a lot of ribbing from people that I was going to save the world, and I'd say 'I'm trying'. Now I just tell them it's too late, that we had our chance and we fucked it all up.
You're going to get loco nipples if you keep posting a news story link immediately following a post containing that same news story!

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
'From behind a paywall said:
The new US bipartisan infrastructure bill, if passed by senators as expected this week, will light a fire under the American clean hydrogen sector, legislating for:
  • A national H2 strategy and roadmap;
  • $9.5bn of federal cash to be spent on the nascent industry’s development, including a push to reduce the cost of green hydrogen to less than $2/kg by 2026 (from more than $5/kg today); and
  • The creation of at least four regional hubs for the production and usage of green, blue and pink (nuclear) hydrogen.
Of the 2,702 pages that make up the landmark $550bn Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, 27 are devoted to hydrogen research and development, with the first line of this section stating the importance of H2: “Congress finds that hydrogen plays a critical part in the comprehensive energy portfolio of the United States.”

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
There's so much bullshit piled onto that infrastructure bill at this point.

This will only mean something to the murkinz on USFS land. There's a provision in there to decommission all uninventoried roads and trails. Something (again) that sounds fine on its surface (undoing grades leftover from logging) but will have an insane concentrating effect on existing infrastructure, cause far greater disturbance in some areas just to get rid of some settled, stable overgrown dirt, and eliminate a shit ton more access just because the local USFS office was too lazy/underfunded/unmotivated to full blown NEPA inventory them. Thiss how they getcha. Since we're pretty colorado heavy here, just for reference, this would fuck up camping in moab like you couldn't believe. Here it would eliminate all kinds of trails, camping spots, OHV scenic drives and unuseable summer grades that serve as good skiing/snowmobiling in the winter. All while current infrastructure is quite literally collapsing under demand.

The vast majority of that bill is long overdue, so I hate seeing this shit in there.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
There's so much bullshit piled onto that infrastructure bill at this point.

This will only mean something to the murkinz on USFS land. There's a provision in there to decommission all uninventoried roads and trails. Something (again) that sounds fine on its surface (undoing grades leftover from logging) but will have an insane concentrating effect on existing infrastructure, cause far greater disturbance in some areas just to get rid of some settled, stable overgrown dirt, and eliminate a shit ton more access just because the local USFS office was too lazy/underfunded/unmotivated to full blown NEPA inventory them. Thiss how they getcha. Since we're pretty colorado heavy here, just for reference, this would fuck up camping in moab like you couldn't believe. Here it would eliminate all kinds of trails, camping spots, OHV scenic drives and unuseable summer grades that serve as good skiing/snowmobiling in the winter. All while current infrastructure is quite literally collapsing under demand.

The vast majority of that bill is long overdue, so I hate seeing this shit in there.
how would it hurt, really, other than those roads not being officially maintained anymore? those who want to get there still could, no? and they'll the one who will clear downfall, etc., to still get to the good spots. and it would keep the dipshits out...

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
how would it hurt, really, other than those roads not being officially maintained anymore? those who want to get there still could, no? and they'll the one who will clear downfall, etc., to still get to the good spots. and it would keep the dipshits out...
They don't maintain non-inventoried roads. They would literally be going in there with bulldozers to remove the grades.

So.......no

You'll notice the name of this photo from the USFS is 'recontour'

As in recontoured so that not even firefighters can use it if it were beneficial to stop fire advancement. Kind of a thing these days. The idiots who wrote this provision only think in terms of the destruction of logging. They don't realize fire crews use these old grades all the time too.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
They don't maintain non-inventoried roads. They would literally be going in there with bulldozers to remove the grades.

So.......no

You'll notice the name of this photo from the USFS is 'recontour'

As in recontoured so that not even firefighters can use it if it were beneficial to stop fire advancement. Kind of a thing these days. The idiots who wrote this provision only think in terms of the destruction of logging. They don't realize fire crews use these old grades all the time too.
^^ Needs raking. Someone left piles of wood everywhere. That shit causes fires.