Quantcast

climbable full face helmet

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
I'm looking for something I can climb with but that will also have enough protection.

I know that the options are MET parachute / Specialized Deviant / Casco Viper.

what should I choose and why? are there any other options out there ?

SquadraCorse

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Ridgefield CT
Looking at the 3 of those you mentioned the Specialized is the only one I would go with. I wouldn't want to face plant wearing the Casco and definitely not the MET...They don't look like they offer enough protection...which is the whole point of a full face. I'd try and find someone that has stacked it hard wearing those helments and see how well they worked for them.

Jul 9, 2007
Pryme AL
I have one with some padding mods (removed some of the padding in the cheak and neck area.
With the mods it is really cool and it has so many vents.
plus it is much cheaper than the Spec. at only 90 dollars

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
dont know how much you're willing to spend, but may I suggest a TLD D2 carbon. To me it feels about the same weight as my old skid lid but with more protection.I've done DH, super-d,and just some hour long trail rides with the wife, and I love mine. Give it a look!!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would be worried about the Met and Casco. Neither is sold in America for good reason.

However, I do have friends who wear half shells, like BMX helmets, and I know they would wear one of those helmets instead. However, they wear the real thing when they do any kind of FR.

P.S. I take my Deviant off when I am climbing.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
The Met isn't sold in North America for liability reasons. The company isn't that huge and they don't want to deal with sue-happy Americans.

The old Giro Switchblade was a great helmet, but Giro stopped making them b/c the margins were too low (everything thing else was outsourced to China, so comparatively they didn't make enough money on each helmet sold).

I don't wear my Deviant on the way up. And unless things have changed in the last year the Casco is crazy expensive.

I wouldn't put the Deviant and the MET in the same category--one is built as an XC helmet w/ a little extra protection, the other is a DH helmet that happens to be well vented. Which one you choose ought to depend on what you're looking for.

redtaco

Chimp
Feb 12, 2008
The Giro Remedy is light weight and has lots of vents. You can find last years models for about $90.

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
i have a giro mad max helmet, i'm not looking for a new dh helmet, but something I can wear without taking off while climbing.. xc style helmets scares me.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
My deviant is great for being pretty cool when riding, however, like sanjuro I take it off if I'm going to be doing any real climbing...

With that said, IMO no legit "climbable-helmet" exsist.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I used to ride with my 661 Carbon Bravo all over the place. It never gave me any problem. Now I have a TLD and it's a heck of a lot harder to climb in (but I believe is much better overall).

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to climb with a full face on?

bsphere

Chimp
Aug 14, 2004
I used to ride with my 661 Carbon Bravo all over the place. It never gave me any problem. Now I have a TLD and it's a heck of a lot harder to climb in (but I believe is much better overall).

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to climb with a full face on?
a place i ride alot has many singletracks and climbs. with my xc bike it's not that fun on the decents and with the fr one xc helmet scares me alot. also climbing with the giro mad max off is not that fun.. i saw some people that wear the met parachute all day and wondered if this style of helmets is any good. (the met doesn't seem that protective tho)

his dudeness

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
dont know how much you're willing to spend, but may I suggest a TLD D2 carbon. To me it feels about the same weight as my old skid lid but with more protection.I've done DH, super-d,and just some hour long trail rides with the wife, and I love mine. Give it a look!!
Thats gotta be miserable going uphill man. Any full face is complete garbage for climbing, just leave it on your handlebar for the climb up

Castle

Turbo Monkey
Jun 10, 2002
VA
I would recommend picking up a pack that can hold a fullface helmet on it.

This will allow you to make a better decision for a helmet based on protection and fit, the 2 most important things. Best of both worlds...

In my experience the Giro Remedy's fit more heads then most other brands, the TLD's a close second as far as fit and comfort.

Playdeep

Chimp
Apr 18, 2004
St George, Utah
The Deviant is not really a dh helmet either. Most i know that have one use it for light FR and heavy AM but not enough for full on resort riding. I was thinking about getting the Casco or Deviant for regular riding but then a second full on helmet for dedicated lift or fr days. The Casco is beefier than it looks but one good hit to the face will mean a replacement versus a more full on helmet. The MET is actually heavier than the Casco believe it or not.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Why can you climb in a full face? It's the same as having a xc helmet on. Although you have less airflow and reduced vision. That or take it off, As far as a helmet goes though really take a good look at the Giro Remedy like said before. There not very much money and off great protection and are not hot at all.