Quantcast

Clinton: Bush should raise taxes to pay for recovery

Discussion in 'Politics & World News' started by MMike, Sep 19, 2005.

1. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/19/katrina.clinton/index.html

That's great... they're actually borrowing money for Iraq..... That's some sound economics..... Isn't there someone in that gov't with a little adding machine and a black plastic visor saying "uhhhhh. guys...."

Please register to disable this ad.

2. narlus

narlus Eastcoast Softcore
    Staff Member

Rep/Likes:
    17 / 25
    about the only thing i liked about the conservatives was their fiscal responsibility. bush has obviously blown that far out of the water since stepping foot into office. where's N8 w/ the deficit post now?

3. ohio

ohio The Fresno Kid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 4
    It's funny that conservatives (well, really it was credit card companies pushing through the legislation, but the conservative congress was happy to oblige) enthusiastically changed our domestic bankruptcy laws just recently to be much much tighter, to encourage responsible borrowing at the individual level (of course, corporate law didn't change), but at the federal level we're like teenagers with daddy's plastic.

4. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    You know, the bankruptcy thing really pisses me off, and is a perfect example of how the corporate state really screws things up. The credit card companies knew the rules going in, and they still extended credit. That's why you underwrite stuff, right? To make sure you are making loans to people with acceptable credit risk. Using political clout to get that changed after the fact is rent seeking behavior in the worst way.

5. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    Cough...Reagan.

Just like morality, the GOP has convinced enough people that they have the market cornered. Then they bend you over and **** you in the ass like a crooked priest.

6. ohio

ohio The Fresno Kid

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 4
    Hey, if you had could ride the wave of "personal responsibility" straight to the tune of ~$5 billion wouldn't YOU do it? I mean with all of these dead-beat borrowers and far-too-lenient bankruptcy laws the credit industry only pulled in a record ~$32 billion in profit last year. Thank god congress bailed them out, that industry could have easily gone under...

7. MMike

MMike A fowl peckerwood.

Rep/Likes:
    61 / 84
    I also liked this.... do you supposed that was a deliberate freudian slip? hinting that the invasion of iran would aggravate things?

Clinton is both a cunning linguist and a master debater....

8. Silver

Silver find me a tampon

Rep/Likes:
    10 / 0
    That gets me thinking...along with the fact that most people in this country are convinced that the founding fathers were a bunch of Jesus freaks, they also seem to think that Adam Smith would be jumping for joy at current policies. After all, Republicans are for the free market, right?

9. Changleen

Changleen Paranoid Member

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    I have a friend who often says "One day soon it's all going to come crashing down." I tend to disagree with him, but things like this make me think he might be right.

10. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Gang probed by the Golden Banana

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    i have an idea. no iraq. no second trip to the freakin moon. no more taxes.

11. Ciaran

Ciaran Fear my banana

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 8
    Tax the rich. After all they have all the money. Leave us middle class working slobs alone. We can't even afford a house these days.

12. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    Space exploration is important. You need to keep doing that. I'll be pretty pissed if humanity is still stuck on Earth in 20 years.

13. Changleen

Rep/Likes:
    1 / 4
    It's all about personal greed. The very same thing very nearly happened in the election NZ just had. The National (right wing) party promised everyone a tax cut to the tune of $7Bn. Of course the rich did better out of it too. Fortunatley here in NZ 60% of people are still smart enough to see through a bribe like that and not fvck over the future prosperity of the country.

14. kinghami3

kinghami3 Future Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    6 / 0
    This is the first US war where they have cut taxes at the same time. In other words, it's the first war where only a select few (mostly the poor) make a sacrifice (dies) and the rest of the country gets a tax break. And now we are on loan from China? I really hope I get to move to Scotland in a couple years.