Quantcast

clipless 5.10s with flats

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So I'm a long time clipless rider thinking about giving flats a go for the first time in quite a while. I'm curious as to how people think the clipless 5.10s (probably the Hellcats) work with flats if there isn't a cleat installed? I ask because I'd rather not spring for 5.10s that I end up using for 3 rides, deciding flats suck, and never using again. If the clipless ones are still good with flats that way I'm covered either way. If they're not I can always get some Freeriders and use 'em as casual shoes if the flats experiment fails.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
i have minnars (hellcats with color) and they have pretty close to as good as a strait up five ten with out the cleat. in other words they would be good enough to try it out with. :thumb:

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
Just rode them yesterday, the Hellcats, on a set of Kona WahWah's with the cleat installed, and they worked great. Doesn't absorb as much shock as the Impacts do, and about 90% of the grip of any of their flat specific shoes (I think this has to do with the stiffer sole built into the bottom of SPD shoes). But, worth saying that as a flat pair of shoes I wear only when I'm jumping, they worked great. I could hear the cleat contact the pedal once or twice, but didn't create any sort of problem.

Last edited: