Quantcast

clipless a must?

Anders

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
Carlsbad, CA, USA
i just picked up a frame and ordered parts for my 1st road bike and im having a hard time deciding what to do about pedals. i have flat pedals on all my bikes; dh, urban and xc. can i have flats on my road bike and not suffer too much? im afraid if i get clipless ill get used to lifting with my foot and ill go to jump on my other bikes and ill come right off the pedals :rolleyes: this will be a bike for keeping in shape. no racing, but hoping to do a few long rides on it. anyone else ride flats?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
no - clipless are never necessary... but are probably the most beneficial on a road bike. Buy some cheap flats, or run the flats from one of your other bikes temporarily and see how you do.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Yes, you need clipless, eventually... efficiency? Yup. But I think most people overlook the comfort factor.

Go with platforms until your feet and/or knees start hurting. If they never do, then cool.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use both clipless and flats for mountain biking and clipless for road. Never had a problem with coming off the flat pedals. The advantage of clipless on the road is huge.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i have clipless with flats on one side for road. I don't wear my bike shoes to work. don't feel like changing them out, carrying others with me or keeping one pair in the office (what if they don't match my outfit?) On the days that I ride to work, I miss clipping in so bad. it makes riding so much easier. However, it is not bothersome enough to, well, bother me. If you are using this bike to ride on the road, and not take you places (where you will be wearing non bike shoes) I say get clipless.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I would think that clipless would be very beneficial for road riding. I ride clipless on my XC Bike and flats on my DH bike and I haven't had any troubles going between the two.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Roadies are infamous for being snobs, and their first sign of disapproval is riding flats. But riding what you have is key, as opposed to waiting for your Speedplays and DMT's to come in. If flats is what you got, then ride that.

However, there are a lot of advantages to clipless, the 3 being able to "pull up" on the upstroke, smoother pedaling, and better cycling shoes.

Being "clipped in" allow you to pull on the upstroke, which works different muscles as well as putting more power to the pedals.

Being locked to the pedals prevents your feet from moving around, which gives you a smoother pedaling stroke.

And road shoes are stiffer than sneakers or casual mtn biking shoes. A stiffer sole is more comfortable because you feel less of the pedal and more of the entire sole, and the power transfer is much higher.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
I've never had any problems switching between clipless and flats. And, as everyone else has said, the advantage of clipless over flats on the road is HUGE. Just do it.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
Serial Midget said:
I've spent many sleepless nights pondering this very same issue; there is no easy answer. :)

I have yet to find the do-all shoe but i have a closet full to prove that I have been searching.

jaydee

Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
Victoria BC
You can kind of make your road bike move forwards with flats, but you can't really spin circles with them. So flats are fine for commuting, but not fine for actual riding.