Quantcast

Clipless or platform pedals?

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
The most significant change that you can make to your ride is through switching to clipless pedals. While not for beginners, they are best used for intermediate and advanced riders they increase your performance enormously by allowing you to bunny hop with more control, over longer distances, and pedal longer with much, much more power, and you don't get 'bounced' off your pedals.

Want to hear all your ideas & questions on this topic, and if you've made the changeover yet. If you did, what pedals are you using, and what do you think about them?

Also, I've got an article on my site dedicated to clipless pedals.

Ctrider

Chimp
Jul 19, 2008
Personally I like platforms. I have always ridden bmx bikes and other bikes with platforms that I don't feel right if I'm clipped in. I'm used to being able to do no footers and take a foot off instantly, so platforms I what I like.

b4stealth

Chimp
Nov 4, 2008
I rode clipless pedals last season and then rode some park in the winter. I gained all the control and stability I had with clipless pedals but with flats. now I can ride flats with all the maneuvaribilty and bike control I had being clipped in, only now I have the security of being able to bail the bike much easier.

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I once drank the clipless koolaid.....but I just hated them. I tried using different brands, cleats, adjustments, but I got tired of freaking out when riding with them as well as using my head as a brake when I didn't unclip correctly. I finally just realized that they are not for me other than on rides that aren't technical and have a lot of climbing (a VERY rare ride for me).

In short, unless you are racing XC, don't think that you have to clip in just because everyone else does...

Last edited:

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
here's poo in your eye...In short, unless you are racing XC, don't think that you have to clip in just because everyone else does and i can guarantee you that you will always fall short of being able to ride a bike, just like myself...

jack nicholson to tom cruise: YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!!!

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
well I ride clipless downhill, crosscountry and sometimes clipless street and thats not a joke, haha. It all depends how confident and comfortable you are with throwing your bike around. If you are super confident and you cant stand the your feet are constantly moving around on your platforms then you should go try some clipless pedals. But if you still arent so comfortable then I would suggest staying platforms and getting the feel of not taking your feet off the pedals. Taking your feet off the pedals constantly makes you a sh!t rider. I have found that once I tried clipless pedals, I have never found a need to take my foot out unless I absolutely need to, and it is no problem for me.

Platforms!

When I ride my dh bike the goal is to go as fast as possible while staying upright and on top with confidence. That said, if I need to dump it, it's nice to have the option of jumping off the back of the bike with the certainty that both feet will no longer be going with my wheels.

Half the battle with platform pedals is the right pair of shoes. After bouncing along in my Pumas for a season I was informed that FiveTens are where it's at -- good support and the rubber sinks into the pedal spikes... so you're stuck without all the attachment.

GTIgor

Chimp
Mar 26, 2009
Moscow, Russia
The most significant change that you can make to your ride is through switching to clipless pedals. While not for beginners, they are best used for intermediate and advanced riders they increase your performance enormously by allowing you to bunny hop with more control, over longer distances, and pedal longer with much, much more power, and you don't get 'bounced' off your pedals.

Want to hear all your ideas & questions on this topic, and if you've made the changeover yet. If you did, what pedals are you using, and what do you think about them?

Also, I've got an article on my site dedicated to clipless pedals.
i used to ride clipless for about 6-8 years ago - i did only trail riding and was starting to FR and jump - by the way, clipless really made my jumping technique absolutely wrong - had to lear it again when swithced to flats

1. trail riding / AM
right now i ride flats and really apreciate the ability to bail with 100% success even then trail riding - i can still ride with my buddies who are on clipless - i dont get left behind and while riding wet, super thecnical or super streep stuff i have benefit
but i still want to try clipless again for better pedalling

2. DH
for me its 100% flats - safety first! and also more contri=ol in the wet and when cornering MX style

Ans the last but not the least - SHOES! When i bought five tens i was absolutely shocked - i seemed the best bike upgrade i did in a long long time - ablosule control over the bike, like it being part of my body. Even pedalling got better - with 5-10`s i can pedal full circle with one leg!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Clips for xc for me. You can do longer rides and climb the techy sections a lot easier being clipped in. You can't exactly lunge up something bumpy with flats. Youre feet just slide right off.

Flats for downhill for me. i lean the bike a lot more when i turn, and i like being able to put my foot back on my pedal right away if i have to take it off. It doesn't happen much, but it's a lot easier to do that than clipping back in on rocky, fast, steep terrain.

01tj

Chimp
Oct 28, 2007
Fairmont WV
I just got back into mountain biking last season and made the switch from toe clips to clipless pedals at the beginning of the season. I took a few falls because I would forget I needed to clipout when coming to an unpassable obstacle but it only took a few rides for clipping out to become automatic. At that time I was amazed by the amount of balance and control I gained from being clipped in. I also have more stamina due to being able to power through the entire revolution.

So my vote goes to clipless

Aug 24, 2008
N/A
A personal preference here!! I prefer the flats over clipless even though I do have clipless, but I am a hardcore DH/FR, so flats have another vote casted here. For freestyle & XC riding, clipless rocks!

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i've been a roadie for a lot longer than i've been riding mtb, so going clipless was a no brainer due to the benefits for better pedaling efficiency. but, getting used to clipless for mtb was a lot harder than for road, at least for me. in hindsite i would have gone to a flattop like i used in my bmx days just so i learned how to ride in the woods better. i've gotten a little better, but still need more ride time. i went with the crank bros egg beaters. i liked the 4 way clip in and they seemed to be a bit easier to get out of too. my bike had come with spd.

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
I'm pretty sure that the general consensus of everyone i talked to is that platforms are better for DH and clipless are without a doubt better for XC. I mostly XC and love clipless. You can get much more power and very rarely loose footing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm pretty sure that the general consensus of everyone i talked to is that platforms are better for DH
I'd beg to differ. When you're first learning DH, this is absolutely true. But when it comes to pro and expert level racers, its personal preference, but also skill level of riding. There's a lot more high level DH racers than you think running clipless.

FWIW, I'm not one of them. I've actually switched back to flats on my XC bike because it makes for better cross training. Also, I ride my XC bike like its a DH bike. I also get a lot of flat tires :busted:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
yup. I like flats. I got tired of my GF laughing at me when I'd fall off my XC bike with bike attached.

I can't imagine riding the Shore oon my big bike with clips. I've seen some dudes at about my skill level do it, and they seemed to use it as an excuse more than anything. Flats all teh whey.

Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
clipped in for 100% of bmx, xc, fr and dh. The only time I don't clip in is with the trials bike, or when barhopping. I think the only way to be sure is to try them out. I can't really stand to ride on flats for DH or freeriding, because I'm feeling unsecure about my feet staying in place. Which is probably the same as how many guys feel unsecure about not being able to instantly remove their feet in any direction when clipped in.