Quantcast

Clipless Pedal Suggestions?

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
Hi everybody. I just joined up here, and this site seems like a really cool place. I hope to learn a lot here.

I just got into more XC/Trail oriented riding. I'll be spending most of my time on crushed limestone trails and the rest on singletrack. I've always rode platforms, and am finally starting to realize that I might be better off with clipless. I wanted to ask on here if you guys could recommend me a good set of clipless pedals. The two I found from a little bit of internet research were the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and the Ritchie Logic Pro V4's. There are probably plenty other good ones out there, so what do you guys think? I'll probably be willing to pay up to about $150, give or take. Do you guys think that I'll be able to get a solid set in that price level? I don't want something super heavy, but I imagine anything would be lighter than the DK Iron Cross platforms I'm riding now. Thanks.

EGGS

Chimp
May 29, 2008
NYC
cranks brothers .. mallets if you like thick platforms.. acids are cool to or even just the regular egg beater

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
The general consensus amongst those I ride with up here in the northeast is that Time or Crank Bros are the way to go. Both designs clear mud very well. SPD (shimano) and SPD clones are crap when it's crappy out.

If you're in a place where you're apt to bash your pedals on things often, go with the ATAC alium or Z-control from time or the Candy from Crank Bros. I've seen the eggbeaters have their mechanism smashed off by rocks more than once. the candy offers some protection. Similarly, the new ATAC XS series from Time feels really really good (most positive feeling and trouble free pedal I've used), but the composite body will get beat to death fast if you pedal strike a lot. Also on Time, avoid models with the thin axle, the seals on them were crap and failed easily. They only produced this design for a couple years, presumably because they were problem ridden.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
You're going to get lots of different answers on this one. Personally, I run Shimano on all my bikes. I've used several models; right now I am using 747s, 959s, 647s and 747s. They are extremely reliable- strong parts, long-lasting cleats, strong spindles and adjustable standard bearings instead of cartridges. As far as I'm concerned the thing about SPDs being crap in mud is currently untrue because it is mostly about stuff that was made 10 years ago. I've lived in fairly wet areas for the last few years and have rarely ever had problems with the pedals clogging and being difficult to get in or out of.

Shimano pedals aren't (in my opinion) any better or worse compared to other pedals in terms of entry and release (that's a matter of preference and what you'e used to). But I think they are better than most in reliability, durability and cost effectiveness.

One more thing- the newer pedals are stupid easy to service. You just open it up with a wrench and the spindle comes out. Adjustment for bearings is right there. Everything can be done with an adjustable wrench.

Last edited:

gonefirefightin

free wieners
if you are new to the clipless way of life I would start cheap (spd) because you are probably going to go through a few different types and brands before you find what you like. as you ride with others and see thier outfits you will find a style or brand that fits you and your riding style the best

float, semi float, no float, whether you want to walk in a store without falling on your ass or you want to hike a bike and so on.

different strokes for different folks

I say start simple and figure it out by watching everyone else buy the expensive stuff and get them for half off

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the all of the suggestions everybody. I think I have an idea of the ones to look at when I go to my bike shop next week.

Are the shoes pretty much personal preference or do you guys think some are better than others? I want something breathable and water proof. Thanks.

WTGPhoben

Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
One of them Boston suburbs
Thanks for the all of the suggestions everybody. I think I have an idea of the ones to look at when I go to my bike shop next week.

Are the shoes pretty much personal preference or do you guys think some are better than others? I want something breathable and water proof. Thanks.
Waterproof is not common. most people will use waterproof "booties" when it's wet and cold. As far as brand, it totally depends on the shape of your foot. If they fit you (and you can afford them) Sidi makes, IMO the most bombproof shoes out there (particularly the older version [until 2007] that didn't have any mesh, which you can still get online at a discount)

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Time for pedals.

In my experience, Sidis are overpriced and not very sturdy. They do not handle being wet very well as in both my upper separated from the soles at the toes.

I'm trying some Lakes right now...only had them for a year but they are holding up well. Unlike the plastic soles on the sidis they have a vibram sole -- a little heavier though.

Shimano, Specialized and Pearl Izumi also seem to be well liked.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I'm a Time gal myself. They take a lickin' & keep on tickin' and shed mud really well. I have been on the hunt for the best shoes and so far have had pretty good luck with Diadora. My husband found the lakes to run big & wide. I'm debating the new Mavic shoes or Sidi's for this season.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Most cycling shoes are pretty good. A lot of people consider Sidi to be the best but I've never used them. I use Nikes now (ebay special...nice to get what was top of the line 3 years ago for almost nothing now) and like them. I have had several Nikes in the past I liked. Didn't have as good of luck with Specialized (felt good, but didn't last very long- wore through the heel, sole got pretty torn up, buckle started coming off...) and Pearl Izumi (just always felt a little weird and didn't fit the shape of my foot as well as others).

For my next pair of shoes I'm thinking of trying out the new Mavics or Bontragers- both look pretty promising but are relatively new products. For a safe bet, Shimano or Lake are good options. Always liked the look of the all-around Lakes with Vibram soles.

Mguts1

Chimp
Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for all of the help everyone. I have a good idea now of what to look at when I go to my bike shop in the next few weeks. Thanks again.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Time springs are independent so you can break one and just flip the pedal and keep riding -- I rode with a broken for a couple of weeks before I fixed them. Never ridden crank bros but what I gather is that if you break a spring they are done and you are walking it out.

Califord

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
Does anyone have any good suggestions for a clipless pedal and shoe combo? I won
't be able to afford the best but somewhere down the middle ..

boosted1

Chimp
Mar 17, 2009
SPD's!!!! i've ridden them on one form or another (clone) for eleven years now. never had any trouble with mud and have ridden acrossed the continent. cheap shoes, i'd say 661. or even better pick up a nashbar mag. bound to find something you like for cheap too

mtnbiker75

Chimp
Apr 17, 2009
South Asheville
Clipless is the only way to go. Being able to pull up/push down on a up/downstroke has an amazing advantage over any pedal without that option. Right now, I have the Shimano PD-R540, and they've been holding up really well for the past 8 months. Just like anything, you have to try it for yourself. Everybody has an opinion, so break out the wallet (times are tough, I know), and get in the game !!! You won't regret it.