Quantcast

clipless versus platforms

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
I know this question has been discussed in other threads, but somebody help me out, here. I'm still one of those nerds who uses toe straps on a MTB, primarily due to the fact that right now I cannot afford anything else. But, in a way that's not relevant to my question.

How in the heck can someone ride cross country, or even just be a mountain "trail" rider, on a bike with platforms?

I took the straps off my bike today to do some "jumping" (ha ha, very low level jumping) around the house. This was in an effort to see why these guys think platforms are so great.

I'm still confused. I didn't slip and bust a shin, but neither did I try any serious bunny hopping or any thing crazy. I hear these "jumpers" say that they would never try jumping in clipless.

Somebody explain all this to me. Am I just such an anti-athlete that I could never bunnyhop higher than 1/2 inch without straps or clipless, or is there something about this "airing it out" that stupid here doesn't understand???? I honestly think that if I tried a serious jump without being attached to the pedals that I would become a free-flying object with no control over the rear end of the bike.

And.... HOW THE HECK DO THEY KEEP THEIR FEET ON THE PEDALS SO EASILY????

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
When your hopping you should be lifting up the bike also, so you and the bike goes up on same time.

Im sorry, bad explanation.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
First of all lose the straps, hehe. That's the only thing i'll tell anyone on these forums to do. I think of straps as training wheels, you may as well make the jump and get the full benefit of being connected to your pedals, and all the other benefits that come with it. You can get cheap clipless shoes from Performance to get started and you can probably score some pedals for a good deal from someone or somewhere...
i'm in your shoes, i'm learning how to jump and ride in platforms and your right it's not easy. Being connected to the bike gives you more control and security on a bike, that's why if i ever DH raced i'd wear clipless.
For me i've purchased rock climbing shoes with a gummy sole, i've heard of others wearing Van's shoes. That helps out alot. Second I study other people when they jump and watch what they do with their feet knee's etc. You might be pulling your body up when you jump with your straps to get more air, and that's not gonna work with platforms. When i jump i keep my feet even, knees slightly bent, i'm centered. Also slamming your seat down to have more room for your body to move might be key.
I find that using platforms is more difficult for me since i learned to do alot of technical things on my bike with clipless. But by relearning some technical fundamentals with platforms it is helping me when i clip in as well. There is benefits to both, and i know XC can be done without. My good buddy trailrides with platforms now because he had a knee injury, and he's better in every aspect of riding. But my "kung-fu" is getting closer....:p :cool:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If you can bunny-hop with flat pedals, it just means that you can bunny-hop correctly. :) It's all about practice. For some reasons, I'm still cheating a bit with my bunny-hops on my XC bike with clipless pedals but I can do it correctly do it on my DH bike with flats...
:confused:

I guess it's because I'm so used to do it incorrectly on this particular bike...I dunno... :confused: :rolleyes:

H20bomberman

Chimp
Jun 10, 2003
Asheville (Fairview), NC
I have platforms and clipless. I like the clipless more when i go up long climbs and xc rides. I dont like the feeling of being clipped in though. To riskey. My new bike came with crappy platforms. They have pins to keep your foot from slidding. I dont like to jump with clippless incase you need to bail. I can now do a 4-5 inch bunny hop with platforms. My little brother can do a 8 inch bunny hop with plat forms. It is just prefence.

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
Originally posted by Skookum
First of all lose the straps, hehe. That's the only thing i'll tell anyone on these forums to do. I think of straps as training wheels, you may as well make the jump and get the full benefit of being connected to your pedals, and all the other benefits that come with it. You can get cheap clipless shoes from Performance to get started and you can probably score some pedals for a good deal from someone or somewhere...
Believe me, if I could afford clipless I would. But, gosh, please don't insult me :-) I have been riding a long time, and to be slammed with a training wheels remark takes a lotta wind outta my sails! :-)

Thanks for the advice, though.

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
Originally posted by Babar
when your hopping you should be lifting up your bike also so you an the bike goes up on same time.
Not trying to be a smart jack, but this statement leaves me just as confused as ever. How am I supposed to "lift" the bike???:confused:

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
Originally posted by Babar
when your hopping you should be lifting up your bike also so you an the bike goes up on same time.
Not trying to be a smart jack, but this statement leaves me just as confused as ever. How am I supposed to "lift" the bike???:confused:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by nards656
Believe me, if I could afford clipless I would. But, gosh, please don't insult me :-) I have been riding a long time, and to be slammed with a training wheels remark takes a lotta wind outta my sails! :-)

Thanks for the advice, though.
sorry bad analogy. I wasnt trying to put you down. I used to run straps too so when i jumped to clipless i has a month or so adjustment then after that there's no way i'd go back. And it don't take too much dough! You can get a pair of shoes and pedal for under $100 bucks,(if you search hard enough) it's just the month or so of adjustment that cost's when you stall out and fall cuz you cannot unclip and everybody laughs at you...;)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Not trying to be a smart jack, but this statement leaves me just as confused as ever. How am I supposed to "lift" the bike???
Wow, you must be REALLY confused to post that twice.

BMX riders have been using platforms for years. I bunnyhopped a freakin park bench when I was 15. It's all technique. Learn it.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The key to a bunny hop is, you don't lift with your feet, you lift with your upper body and your arms. You pull the bike up, and the pedals stay right with your feet.

When you jump, you need to loft the jump. If you just ride off it, the bike falls away from you and the pedals fall away from your feet. When you loft the lip of a jump, much like a bunny hop, you are pulling the bike into you. Not only do you get way more air, the bike stays with you.

Also, kicking the bike out or doing a table top helps you keep the bike with you in the air. I dunno exactly why, but it does.

I suggest you try BMX in a skatepark, it's an excellent way to get comfortable jumping on flats. Also, everyone there will be on flats so you can watch and learn. Most people are also willing to help you out.

Good luck, in no time you'll be using clipless only for XC racing :cool:

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
Wow, you must be REALLY confused to post that twice.

BMX riders have been using platforms for years. I bunnyhopped a freakin park bench when I was 15. It's all technique. Learn it.
'Scuse the double post. Sorry.

Well, I'll never be 15 again, and I couldn't 'hop a park bench then, so I guess there's no hope for that :(

Those who say it's all technique amaze me. They always seem to be Michael Jordan Jr. in the first place, and then they forget that some poor white idiots like me can barely jump a park bench WITHOUT having to get a bike of 25 or so pounds to borrow from my negligible energies and accomplish the same feat. I think there is a certain level of athleticism and genetic ability that is required, regardless of how doggone good your technique is :)

But thanks to all of you for the advice. I'll probably stick with my straps for now and try to save enough dough to get some clipless in 20 or 30 years when THOSE go out of style completely!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Those who say it's all technique amaze me. They always seem to be Michael Jordan Jr. in the first place, and then they forget that some poor white idiots like me can barely jump a park bench WITHOUT having to get a bike of 25 or so pounds to borrow from my negligible energies and accomplish the same feat. I think there is a certain level of athleticism and genetic ability that is required, regardless of how doggone good your technique is :)
Anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I'm a complete klutz off the bike. Pretty much the only sport I'm any good at is biking. And it's from practice, not natural ability ;)

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Originally posted by Echo
Anyone who knows me will attest to the fact that I'm a complete klutz off the bike. Pretty much the only sport I'm any good at is biking. And it's from practice, not natural ability ;)
Wanna play baseball? Watching me play baseball, basketball or any sport like that has to be straight up comical.

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
How about we just ride :D
I wish I was riding instead of sitting at my doggone slow computer at my desk at work typing about riding, for dang straight.

Okay, so mebbe you guys do just have good technique... I'll work on mine for oh, 5 years, and see how terrible I can get by then :D

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I wish I was riding instead of sitting at my doggone slow computer at my desk at work typing about riding, for dang straight.

Okay, so mebbe you guys do just have good technique... I'll work on mine for oh, 5 years, and see how terrible I can get by then :D
Seriously consider my skatepark recommendation. Wear lots of pads and a full face helmet and take chances. I guarantee results ;)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Seriously consider my skatepark recommendation. Wear lots of pads and a full face helmet and take chances. I guarantee results ;)

I'll second that I wouldn't have tried so many things when I rode with you guys had I not been so well protected.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
Sorry for making you confused with my crappy spelling, grammer and explanation.

When i see a person (beginner) who bunny hops, they seem to expect the bike to go up with them when they hop, infact there the ones that go up and land on the pedal. :)

But Echo did wonderful job of explaining.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
The key to a bunny hop is, you don't lift with your feet, but you lift with your upper body and your arms. You pull the bike up, and the pedals stay right with your feet.
Keep in mind that I can still only bunnyhop maybe 6 inches consistently (but I think about 1 foot on a good day). But, when I was first learning, a friend of mine told me that there are 3 basic parts to a bunnyhop.

1) You need to get the front end/wheel up. So, you kinda lean back and "push" down with your legs. Someone said that it is a minny manual/wheely (don't pedal), that is pretty much it. I suggest doing this part over and over, just getting used to the move/sensation.

2) At this time the front end is up and your weight is further back, over the rear wheel. What you do now is move your weight from the rear of the bike to the front. It's pretty simple I guess.

3) This part is all in your arms and upper body (NO LEGS). With your weight towards the front of your bike and the front wheel in the air, PULL UP and/or FORWARD with your arms.

It is going to take a lot of time and practice to get this down. The real key is not to do all of these parts separate, but to put them together into one smooth sequence.

WARNING, SALES PLUG: If you're looking for some decent and reliable pedals, I'll sell you a rebuilt set of Time ATACs (w/ cleats) for $45.

nards656

Chimp
Jun 14, 2003
Canton, NC
I'd love to take you up on those ATACs, but with vacation season upon me and gas being needed for about 2000 miles of driving, I better hold off. Remind me in about a month or so :)

Thanks to all you guys for your tips. I did a lot of work last night "on" the bike and was able to probably double my effective bunny hop to 6 or 7 inches. At least that's what it felt like. Hard to measure, if you know what I mean.

I also did a lot of work off a 8 or 10 inch high "ramp" and was amazed to learn how much difference it makes when I twist back on the grips (same motion as throttling a motorcycle) just as I cross the threshold. I've always been one of those guys that either dead dropped off the end of a "jump" or else tried to "hop" off it and still wound up with the nose diving.

So, thanks a lot to all you guys for the tips. I don't have a lot of time to really hang with the local riding scene, so it's good to talk to people on here that know what they are doing.

By the way... any of you know ftwfred???? He ruptured his spleen, I think, and spent a few days in the hospital just after the Asheville Urban Sprawl. I think he's okay but don't know for sure. Something about all the stuff he saw making him take chances he shouldn't have, or something. I THINK that's the right fred.... Fred of Pro-Bikes????

Thanks again.

Mar 27, 2003
First-there is a thread going about fred somewhere on ridemonkey.

Now about bunnyhopping. I'm just learning to ride platforms. I've ridden clipless for years, but wanted to give platforms a try, as I've started messing around more with drops/urban, etc. I've noticed 3 things:
1. This has been covered, but here it is again. Lower yout seat. It makes it much easier to use body english, and to get the bike up on it's back wheel.
2. It's all in the hips. If you watch someone who can bunnyhop well, follow his or her hips. It makes sense that the rest of your body will follow where your hips go. Hips go back, front end comes up, hips go up foward, bike and body come wiyh it. This is much easier to visualize with pics, but I ain't got none.
3. Pick something to hop over. It doesn't need to be anything high, in fact I found it easier to start out with holes or cracks, then move up to parking dividers.

Good Luck.

I've been going out late at night to practice by myself. It is good stress relief and it is easier to find a 1/2 hour to do this every day than it is to get out to the woods.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Originally posted by FlipSide
If you can bunny-hop with flat pedals, it just means that you can bunny-hop correctly. :) It's all about practice. For some reasons, I'm still cheating a bit with my bunny-hops on my XC bike with clipless pedals but I can do it correctly do it on my DH bike with flats...
:confused:

I guess it's because I'm so used to do it incorrectly on this particular bike...I dunno... :confused: :rolleyes:
I do the same thing. After learning to bunny-hop years ago on a BMX bike it's instinctual for me, but if I'm running clipless and can "cheat", then I will. I don't think either way is right or wrong, it's just what you are used to. I can switch between flats and clips on my DH bike w/o thinking about. I've always run clips on my XC and road bikes.

There's nothing wrong with straps. I know a very good rider who kicks ass running straps.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
How in the heck can someone ride cross country, or even just be a mountain "trail" rider, on a bike with platforms?
FYI, there's a difference between being able to make your bike jump or other really cool stuff -and- xc/trail riding.

You *need* clipless if you go XC cuz you lose a lot of energy on platforms or just straps/baskets.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU
Originally posted by LordOpie
FYI, there's a difference between being able to make your bike jump or other really cool stuff -and- xc/trail riding.

You *need* clipless if you go XC cuz you lose a lot of energy on platforms or just straps/baskets.
How do you need clipless? If you followed that logic, you'd need not to ride because you lose a lot of energy from riding. :rolleyes: ;) Maybe some of us like a slightly different experience trail riding.

I ride trails on a ~40 pound single speed hardtail with flats.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: But I guess that's not trail riding 'cause I lose too much energy.:rolleyes: :eek: :D :D

Seriously though, its all about fun.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
For me, give me clipless for xc, and plats for everything else. There's no question that clipless are better for climbing, but for jumping and technical I much prefer being able to move my feet around more. In fact, I will ride plats for xc as long as I'm alone. But if I need to cover a lot of ground or keep up with a bunch of others clipless are way more efficient.

If you learn to bunny hop properly, it really doesn't matter which pedals you ride. There may be a small advantage with clipless but I would think it would hurt your form more than anything. You don't see many BMX'ers riding clipless.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I never really cruise to this forum but i'm bored off my ass. Anywho, I ride flats mostly now even on the trail and when climbing. I prefer flats for DH and FR because you can get away. You ask why dirt jumpers dont use clipless its because if you fall or eat it when clipless sometimes you don't uncliip and the bike falls with you and hurts you more. Flats you can pull your foot off quicker to balance on skinnies and you don't have to worry about being clipped in or out when doing drops or when doing no footers ( not that i can). For XC clipless are the pedals to go with but some people just prefer flats and like to be able to control more with the flats like foot placement etc. Just all in preference and if you cant Bhop with flats and can with clipless you obviously don't know how to bhop. (me)

Just my 2cents.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
Okay --- so this is a late reply, but check out this trials site. There's how to and mpeg's to go along with the how to. It will give you some insight into how moves are actually done. And, all trials riders use platform pedals so it will help you with foot positioning as well.

Trials-Online

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Originally posted by Mudpuppy
How do you need clipless? If you followed that logic, you'd need not to ride because you lose a lot of energy from riding. :rolleyes: ;) Maybe some of us like a slightly different experience trail riding.

I ride trails on a ~40 pound single speed hardtail with flats.:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: But I guess that's not trail riding 'cause I lose too much energy.:rolleyes: :eek: :D :D

Seriously though, its all about fun.
umm, yeah... 40# SS? :rolleyes:

Oh, I get it, you confused concrete for slime :D But hey, you'll never get a flat!

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
i went to flat pedals on a one bike this year that i had always ridden clipless.

it felt like i was moving back into the dark ages at first but i only did it to rebuild other abilities that riding clipless pedals take away from.

i love the clipless though i value the flat pedals now for the new skills i am developing, keeping my riding competitive.