which one do you use the most

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
which one do you use and why

clipless = if i know i im going to be on a smooth single track without much log hoping/jumping/skinnies or tons of climbing

flats = anything real tech that i might have to get my foot out ASAP if i feel i need the extra support to stay rubber side down

but im starting to use my flats more then the clips:biggrin:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
I've pretty much always ridden flats for everything, so I don't know how awesome clipless are for climbing. That and I dont really like any clipless shoes for comfort.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Clipless 90% of the time. I only throw the flats on when I want to make myself work harder on the climbs.

I know some peole get nervous about having clips on super tech stuff - but that is why they have adjustments! Mine are lose enough that I can get out of them just as fast as you can step off you pedal...

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
flats only....dh xc or fr. shimano has proved that there is no efficiecy gain in being clipped in. never felt comfy being clipped in on a skinny, the 5-10 shoes feel like being clipped but still be able to bail

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
Clipless 90% of the time. I only throw the flats on when I want to make myself work harder on the climbs.

I know some peole get nervous about having clips on super tech stuff - but that is why they have adjustments! Mine are lose enough that I can get out of them just as fast as you can step off you pedal...
Correctamundo.

I like being clipped in becasue my feet stay on over the rough stuff. makes me feel faster.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
i believe i read in mtb mag or was it bike, this just what i have read
if i can find it i will post it.....weight weenies are never wrong
Have to disagree. I've read tons of crap about both and one is not proven to be more effective for DH MTB.

And for FR why would you use Clips no point, No No-Footed cans and such.

But if you found something that says another, Source???:cheers:

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Depends... I grew up racing BMX and then went to road, so I'm equally comfortable on both.

If it's a ride where I'll be stopping a lot and repeating a section, I'll run flats because it's easier to hop on the bike 5 feet from the edge of a drop.

If I'm going to a race to spectate and I'll be walking around a lot: flats because the shoes are better for walking.

If I'm going on a ride where I'm pedalling more and/or stopping less: clips as I prefer climbing and pedalling with them in general.

Sometimes I'll choose one over the other for no reason other than what's already on the bike... (laziness)

Racing criteria is another matter... but that doesn't apply to this forum... :clue:

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
shimano has proved that there is no efficiecy gain in being clipped in.
That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Whatever mag you read that in shoudl be closed down, as they are making things up as they go along. MANY studies have proven the exact opposite. Go tell a roadie he should be riding flat pedals, as their is no efficiency gain in riding clipped in.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6VN5-43YSYBG-3&_coverDate=06/30/1999&_alid=457911843&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_qd=1&_cdi=6169&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=3cd5eb222f9ceee6ae30dafcbe9e6ecd

Would you care to comment again after reading that?

And just in case you were too lazy to read it:

Summary

Purpose.

The purpose of this study was to compare the mechanical parameters measured on a non-isokinetic cycle ergometer equiped with or without toe-clip pedals during sprinting.

Methods.

Two groups of subjects (international-national and regional cyclists) performed four sprints of 8 seconds with two different friction forces applied to the belt (0.5 or 1.1 N.kg−1). A variance analysis with repeated measures (shoe-pedal linkages and groups) has been performed.

Results.

The results show a significant increase of the maximal values of force, velocity and power output when clip-less pedals were used, whatever the friction force applied.

Conclusions.

This improvement of maximal power could be attributed to a significant increase in optimal velocity, which was observed for both considerable and minimal friction force. In fact, clipless pedals allowed a greater muscular activity, a greater efficiency index, and better muscular coordination.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Would you care to comment again after reading that?QUOTE]

Sure why not. The purpose of this study is: The purpose of this study was to compare the mechanical parameters measured on a non-isokinetic cycle ergometer equiped with or without toe-clip pedals during sprinting.

Yes that study is 100% correct it is better for Road riding or sprints. But I have to disagree on the MTB/DH side of things. When you’re flying down a rock hell trail slutting corners it doesn’t matter. Even during a race you really only full out sprinting for 30sec. It's a give and take situation.

Flame away!!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Downhill racing involves nothing BUT anaerobic sprints out of corners and in flat sections.

XC is 50% climbing and flat pedalling which is shockingly, the same as road riding.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
***Quote removed***
:banana:

Now that is just rude. :bonk:

I've raced both. Did a test one week compared to the next. Times were the exact same. Sometimes the Clip would be faster by .004 sec. then flats would be faster by .02.

It also depends on course and such. Flat / Some incline (Fontuckey), Clips. Steep, loose, & rough flats (Most Norba/U.S. Open).

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Now that is just rude. :bonk:

I've raced both. Did a test one week compared to the next. Times were the exact same. Sometimes the Clip would be faster by .004 sec. then flats would be faster by .02.

It also depends on course and such. Flat / Some incline (Fontuckey), Clips. Steep, loose, & rough flats (Most Norba/U.S. Open).
There is absolutely no way to accurate test power transfer and efficiency under real world riding conditions. One mis shift here, one extra bit of braking there etc is what is accounting for those differences.

The fact remains that power output and efficiency IS higher with clipless pedals. The numbers, graphs and years of research (in friggin' wind-tunnels no less) prove it.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
There is absolutely no way to accurate test power transfer and efficiency under real world riding conditions. One mis shift here, one extra bit of braking there etc is what is accounting for those differences.

The fact remains that power output and efficiency IS higher with clipless pedals. The numbers, graphs and years of research (in friggin' wind-tunnels no less) prove it.

Hey why dose my quote say Edited by:sirknight6?? (Ok he took my quote out ok)

Totally agree!!! I have become a Transcend Fan :biggrin: !! How do you like it when someone from SB is a fan?:cheers: You kind of rubbed me the wrong way at first but you always come up with the goods!!:pirate2:

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I found through real rough fast rocky sections if I wasn't clipped in I was REAL uncomfortable. I have always seen and heard the arguments, but, as many say, once you go clipless, you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
I found through real rough fast rocky sections if I wasn't clipped in I was REAL uncomfortable. I have always seen and heard the arguments, but, as many say, once you go clipless, you'll wonder why you didn't do so sooner.
Yah I think I'm going to have to bust out the clipless in this off season & get used to them again.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Many being, you, right? :biggrin:
And me.

I ride clipless for everything, even skinnies. I find clipless help a lot in techy rough sections, too. I love em. I am way faster with them as I can pedal sections that some flat pedal users have a hard time pedaling. The only time I hate clipless is dirt jumping. Its sort of hard to bale in certain situations. You just learn not to bale and stay on the bike. My buddies try to switch me daily. In fact I had a discussion about this yesterday. A buddy of mine also rides clipless and he has been thinking of changing to flats. He never has a problem clicking out of his clipless so why bother. There are benefits to clipless and there are benefits to flats. You just have to figure out which one will benefit you more. For me, I run clipless all the time. I clip out pretty darn fast.... I think as fast as if I had flats. Ill keep running them. Some people have a hard time clipping out fast. With the correct pedals (DX clipless), correct clips, and shoes you should be able to click out easily. I had to play with the mounting of the clips on my shoes till I found a perfect angle where they clip out very easily.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Clipless for smooth trails or fast rocky trails where I want to stay on the bike.

Flats for DJ/FR and slow, tech trails.

When I race, clips for Sea-Otter style stuff and flats for everything else, but that may change.

Flats for lifts.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Flats for freeride stuff and clipless for more straight-ahead trailriding. I chose flats in the poll because I tend to do more of the former right now.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
I used to ride/race a lot of XC, and when I bought a DH bike the first thing I got to go with it was a pair of Mallets. Bad mistake. I hated riding clipless for DH, mostly because I was still learning how to ride really tech stuff and dabbing a lot. I didn't have any trouble getting out of my pedals, but myy shoe/pedal interface wasn't so hot, so it was always a bitch to get back into my pedals after dabbing. I really should've shimmed the cleats in hindsight, but oh well. Anyway, swapped them out for some flats and 5.10s and I was happy as a clam...Now that my tech handling has improved, I'm tempted to try them again. Coming from an XC background, I get really annoyed when I can't put my "full" power into a pedal stroke because I'm on a flat. Just feels like I'm going a lot slower than I should be. They also tend to offer a better feeling of security when you're ripping fast...slow stuff they can be a liability, though.

BikerBoy28

Monkey
Jul 3, 2006
Bellingham, Wa
I use clipless for everything. (DH,FR,XC,DJ) and I like them more than flats, I dont like to have my feet bounce around. Oh, I only use flats for BMX. (which I dont ride often)

daviid

Chimp
Sep 16, 2006
for the longest time i rode flats for everything..then when i started riding clips for xc racing, and decided to try them out on my dh bike...i think that being clipped in on a 40+ pound bike improves handling and meneuverability significantly as well as pedalling efficiency..also, i hate having to adjust my feet on flat pedals when im in a rocky section..i ride clipless now for everything (even dj) except when i want to do no footers...i think its better to get good at riding dh on flats and then switch to clips and youll see how faster you get, thats what i did..i dont think starting out clipped in would be good..the only reason some one would be slower with clips would be because they are afraid of falling hard, because when you fall when clipped in...and i only know 1 person who rides flats besides sam hill and nathan rennie, who can beat me............jk there might be like 2 others

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ive always wondered how no footers would be with clipless. Its not like you would have to clip in to land.

Li'l Dave

Monkey
Jan 10, 2002
San Jose, CA
I agree you have some more manueverability and control when you are clipped in, especially through the rough stuff. But I just switched to flats a few months ago mainly to improve my cornering. I love being able to pick up my rear end with clips, but with flats it forces you to pump and use both your arms and legs to adjust to terrain. I've gotten faster with flats on the DH rig and I'm getting more comfy cornering at higher speeds, but I don't think one is any better than the other. You'll be faster if your more comfortable on the bike. If that means flats, ride flats, if that means clips, ride clips, either way, just ride, mad hella norcal fast if possible.

brokenbikes

Chimp
Oct 3, 2006
New Zealand
I've always ridden flats, never even tried clipless to be honest, but then again, I ride like a complete munter, so thats probably a good thing. I'd say somehow I would manage to stay clipped in during my many crashes, and I would have torn my feet off several times by now if I was riding clipless ;)

psychobiker

Monkey
Jul 17, 2006
charlotte nc
:biggrin: thanks for ripping me a new one for sharing something i read, i did try clippless but could not get comfy, sorry could not find that article