Quantcast

Clipless, what are you guys using ?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
After a few years on flats Ive decided to go back to clipless pedals...I used to run Shimano's back in the days and Im thinking it would probably be a wise move to run those again.That said from what I can tell the only option that seems viable for DH are the M647 , is this right?? They look bulky, cheap and heavy.

Shimano pro riders arent even running them.Instead they all seem to be using the auto-self destructive CB Mallets???! Ive had one pair of 50/50 a few years back and , well actually I should have said I only BOUGHT one pair but ended up replacing them a millions times.

I hear great thing about the "feel" of the Mallets but did Crankbothers finally got their act together and now make a reliable product?Whats the deal with the plastic end cap , seems UBER gay. Other contender would be Time pedals I guess but Im not sure they make a pedal that offer as much of a platform like the Mallet or even the 647's . . .

Sooooo clipless , what's cool and trendy these days :thumb:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I've been on Shimano or SPD compatible pedals forever.
Currently, I've got XTR Trails pedals. Yes, expensive, but light and tough.

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Time x-roc and you will never look back. Think mallet feel but many times better with good reliability. Sounds like a gunshot when clipping out. ATAC system is far superior to CB imo.

Only drawback is that they are a little thick and sketchy to ride unclipped.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Time Pedals for sure. I have the Control Z Strongs. Bearings are still as smooth as the first day they were installed 4 years ago. They currently are getting transferred between my DH and trail bike depending on which I ride and the only maintenance they will require is new cleats (which I'm doing for the 1st time this year).

I'm curious about the new X-Roc pedals as the top end model has adjustable tension and that is the only negative, albeit minor, with Control Z's. This isn't a major issue as the amount of positive feedback and tension while clipping in is many factors higher than say CB Mallets, but at 190lbs it would be nice to up the tension a weeeee bit more.

CraigS

Monkey
Oct 13, 2012
upstate ny (518)
Time X-Roc.
2 seasons on them and still going strong.
I had a set of Time Z's before them and they were 6 years old. Still have them for backups, there pretty beat
up but work perfect.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
CB pedals feel pretty damn good, and they shed mud like its nobodies business.

If you don't mind replacing pedals once every week or two, they're definitely the best pedals out there. But if you don't like it when your pedal body falls off the spindle, and can't afford to buy a new set once a week, you should probably steer clear.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
I think they are great but do break for certain. If anyone rides goofy foot with them and collected a bunch of broken left sided pedals pm me. I would love work a trade, I must have 4 good left dx pedals and broken rights. Sh!/ !! Wish you could 've buy them individually.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
SPD or bust. I couldn't imagine using any other pedal, and I've tried a few. They adjust nicely, are very durable, spare parts abound (try getting cleats for your Times at a resort bike shop....) and work flawlessly.

Running the same DX clips since '06. ZERO issues ever. Those smashing them into rocks are hacking it. Mine have plenty of scrapes and marks and still work faultlessly

Running XT trails on the CX bike, and again, flawless.

I don't see any other option these days. Shimano makes the best clip'd pedals hands down. Of course this is just my 'opinion'.

May 30, 2011
Louisville, KY
I am pretty anti Crank Brothers because I hate the egg beater model that I have seen break over and over again and the fact there is no platform. I decided to give the Mallets a chance anyways last season because I like the adjustable pins and the fact it feels more like a flat pedal under your foot. I was nervous what the outcome would be because I have heard so many bad things about them but for me personally so far so good and no issues. I do wish they sat a little further out from the crank arm because with my shoes (5.10 Ravens) when the pedals are in a certain spot and I try to unclip my shoe hits the crank arm and can get hung up. I will be switching to the new Mallets when they come out to give them a shot because I think they have changed that slightly. For everything else I run Time ATAC's and have for the last 10 years with no issues. Just couldn't get the Z's to work for me personally on the DH bike with my shoes.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I can't believe this thread keep coming up every year when the answer is always the same.

Last edited:

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I can't believe this thread keep coming up every year when the answer is always the same.

I think this thred comes up because the search engine on here is the WORST ? ;-) or maybe its just me but I can never find what Im looking when I do a search

Killingtonvt

Monkey
Sep 19, 2005
Bellingham, WA
I'm in on Times as well. Time Z's for the last 10 years, rocking the new MX 6, (the NEW XROC), this season. Consistent no matter the condidtions! I usually buy a new pair of Z's very 2 years due to vanity, but the pedals last a long, long time!
MX 6.jpg

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I've only run CB pedals since '02, and never had an issue with them that wasn't my fault. IME, their failures are overly exaggerated.

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
I worked in a shop, but back when OnZa pedals were popular. ;)

I own 1 set of original Mallet M's from '05, which are still going strong. They were warrantied once after I smacked a course marker (rebar) and I bent a wing. I've owned probably 6 pair of eggbeater sl's, a couple pair of candy sl's and one pair of Acids. The only ones that aren't still going strong are the Acid's, b/c I failed at pressing out the roller bearing on one side (I'm still using the other pedal).

I don't doubt that people have had problems with them, but I can honestly say that they've worked fine for me for over 11 years now.

Last edited: