Quantcast

clipless?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
amydalayna said:
does anyone else ride clipless at the track? i just switched out the flats on my P1 with clipless (i only use it for the bmx track). any thoughts?
yeah, everybody who is fast rides clipless.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
kidwoo said:
No no, I wasn't barking at you....... EVERYONE uses these terms, myself included.

That was more of a thinking outloud, rant kind of thing, that's all.

Do you know how much longer the south shore track is going to be open?
lee mccormick in his book shares your same rant. he suggest calling them "clips" or something like that. not sure if that sounds good to me though

I think they are saying the track will be open until October 1st. but it'll probably stay open after that until the first snow fall. i'm bummed because i just started riding there and it's alot of fun. Can't wait to head out after work today.

Do you know where there is another good track that is open longer?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
amydalayna said:
lee mccormick in his book shares your same rant. he suggest calling them "clips" or something like that. not sure if that sounds good to me though

I think they are saying the track will be open until October 1st. but it'll probably stay open after that until the first snow fall. i'm bummed because i just started riding there and it's alot of fun. Can't wait to head out after work today.

Do you know where there is another good track that is open longer?
I must be getting old. I'm sharing philosophical rants with lee. :o:

Good tracks? Not really. The one by you is the best one I've seen anywhere around here. But there is a track in Sun Valley, just north of Reno that is getting re-worked. I think they close down in winter too though. A friend of mine was working on a slalom track there though....

Let's talk at northstar tomorrow. I have a secret or two that can help you keep your new toy in use this winter.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
girlwhoboards said:
i ride flats but i don't race. i don't like my feet bound
You must be japanese. I hear they're getting tired of that crap. :p

If you know how to yank up with the opposite foot you can get noticibly more power off of gates and sprints.

But that's why I dirtjump.......all about coasting and being lazy.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Wumpus said:
These are toe clips:

Hence riding pedals without them is called clipless.
You beat me to the response. I think you should learn how to ride flats before you try clips. Especially if you race BMX. As a former racer myself, I hated to see 4-5 year old kids racing on clips because their "little league" dads saw the pros using them. These kids had only been riding bikes maybe 2 years max. But whatever, I have riding buddies that think I'm a freak of nature because I can bunny hop with flat pedals. My point is, you can do all the things on a bike with flats as you can with clippies.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I agree with the former post. I rode flats for about 7 years and could barely bunny hop. Then I rode 737's and learned to hop high which got me to wondering why I never learned to bunnyhop without them. Then I got flats again 6 years ago and I can jump higher then ever before, but it is a bit of a steeper learning curve. However I feel better than ever and I don't see any point in switching back to clips. You might lose a bit of time at the gate, but unless you are racing for a check you might as well do what suits you best. Personally I don't want to switch riding styles from a race to dirt jumping. Might be because I have a problem with change, but I like to stick to one thing.... If anyone says flat's are slow bust out a one footer tabletop and say "so?".

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
I ride with platforms, but put on the clipless for the track.
I got tired of getting beat out of the gate. I can lay down the power through bumpy berms better and manual / pump the rythyms faster with more control when clipped in.
I still hate them though. Hahahahaha

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Hypernormality
I switch between both on a irregular and whimsical basis. I'm on flats right now. I agree though, in general you should probably learn on flats then switch later - it helps with basic technique, but you shouldn't be afraid of either. They're just different.

blt2ride

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2005
Chatsworth
amydalayna said:
does anyone else ride clipless at the track? i just switched out the flats on my P1 with clipless (i only use it for the bmx track). any thoughts?
I tried to fight it at first, but finally I had to give in and make the switch to clipless. While I think that BMX is more fun on flats, if you're going to race these days, you need to ride clipless pedals. Eventually, you'll get used to them, but the first few times you're out at the track, it may feel a little strange...