Quantcast

Clips -vs- Flats

Oct 24, 2001
Az
Just got a new cruiser and started racing again. I'm just wondering if anybody has some good input on shoe choices for going clipless. I'm running shimano 636 pedals with some old specialized shoes, but it feels like I have no oneness with the bike that I normally get with flats.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
Why not just use flats? It is only a matter of time before clips are banned from bmx, the UCI just banned clipless in Europe. In bmx the chance of getting hurt with clips is so high, more so than with dh things happen really fast in bmx.

Oct 24, 2001
Az
Flats definitely are safer, but the pedaling power and efficiency with the clips is what I'm after. I've ridden flats on my DH bike for the past couple of seasons, and now thinking of trying clips.

It wouldn't make me sad to see clips banned at the BMX tracks, one less novie falling over in the gate.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Originally posted by rideoncycle.com
Flats definitely are safer, but the pedaling power and efficiency with the clips is what I'm after. I've ridden flats on my DH bike for the past couple of seasons, and now thinking of trying clips.

It wouldn't make me sad to see clips banned at the BMX tracks, one less novie falling over in the gate.
I say ride what you want...even though I hate clips, if you feel they make you faster than that's all that matters....even if they really don't;)

Nacon

Chimp
Mar 13, 2002
Austin, TX
If I remember right, RideOn was Big Wave's co, anyway.....I'm one of the old Dirtworkz.com riders.

An A Pro friend of mine races clipped, and likes it better...but it is more dangerous. He uses Time pedals for the same reasons XC ppl like them, except for the mud thing (obviously). Rotational & lateral float, wide release angle, blah blah blah. You get the idea.

Personally, you won't find me clipped in, whether on my bmx, ds or dh bike. As far as advice regarding flats....I love my Shimanos.

axel

Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
conway, ma
why dont u use flats and clip shoes? best of both worlds....;) :p
i say go for flats cuz thats what i use, i really dont think that clips are the way to go....its just my opinion, but i really like flats and dont particularily like clips....i think a big part of it is i like skate shoes, and i like to be able to feel more under my feet, but if you like clips, then i guess just go for it.