Quantcast

Clogged tub drain

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Anyone have any magic solutions for this? I'm new to the whole Mr. Fixit thing, liquid Draino and foam Draino have both failed. It's been kinda slow since we moved in (November) but in the past month or so it's gotten really gnarly, and Caitlin showered after we rode today and nearly filled the tub (It's still draining). Is there any black market chemical I can use? Some sort of probe to clear the blockage :rofl: ?

I really don't want to resort to talking to the manager or Roter Rooter...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
There's some stuff that's like extra strength dran-o. Try it, maybe. You can get it at the supermarket (it's not made by Dran-o but it's similar.)

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
blue said:
Anyone have any magic solutions for this? I'm new to the whole Mr. Fixit thing, liquid Draino and foam Draino have both failed. It's been kinda slow since we moved in (November) but in the past month or so it's gotten really gnarly, and Caitlin showered after we rode today and nearly filled the tub (It's still draining). Is there any black market chemical I can use? Some sort of probe to clear the blockage :rofl: ?

I really don't want to resort to talking to the manager or Roter Rooter...
Liquid drano and foam drano are carp. There is an industrial strength version you can by at Home Depot that is actually pretty good. Expect to have to treat it multiple times though.

dirtydirtysouf's advice is good too.

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc
RenegadeRick said:
There is an industrial strength version you can by at Home Depot that is actually pretty good..
yea...........i forgot about that stuff.............i had the maint. guy at one of the buildings i worked in give me this crystal stuff to pour in my drain........you pour it in with a few cups of warm water and close the drain. DONT STICK YOUR HEAD OVER THE DRAIN WHEN YOU OPEN IT UP.......... the smell with fawking kill you..........the flush with tons of hotass water...........

ill see if i can find out what its called and post back early this week with the chem. name

dirtydirtysouf

Deletated
May 23, 2006
the ghetto of winston-salem, nc

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Most clogged tubs are just hair and crap (mostly hair), so you might actually be able to open up the drain yourself and pull the clog, or most of it out. This is assuming that the clog is close to the drain. And if this is the case then you don't have to buy any drain cleaners.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Generally, I've always been able to clear clogs even with the Liquid Plumber in the grocery store. The trick for me is to buy the big bottle at Wal-Mart or some other place that it can be had for not much money, and pour some in, let it sit for a couple minutes, pour a little more in, let it sit, and keep doing this for a while.

My theory is that the gunk is sticky enough to stick to the hair or whatever is clogging it, and if you keep pouring it in small amounts, it keeps coating whatever's in there and dissolving it a little more.

I have no idea if that's what actually happens, but it makes sense to me and seems to work well :p

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
If you have had no luck with the liquid stuff yet, it probably won't work at all for you!

you need to mechanicaly remove what ever is clogging the drain pipe. There is usually a small hatch door behind the tub in a closet or in a hallway, that allows for access to the drain pipe, and all of the supply lines. allow the water to drain first, then you need to locate the drain pipe and remove the P-trap (looks like a big U) which is usually not to hard to get off. get a cheap snake (even a metal coat hanger will work) and fish out all of the built up soap scum and hair that is backing up the thing.

it isn't a hard job if it is right there! but you may want to run a snake all the way to the main stack (usually 6-7 feet of pipe) so you may need a store bought or rented snake. a hand held or small one that is powered by a hand drill will work fine for you.

PS. I am just about to do this whole process again in our house! (we have 2 bathrooms:rolleyes: )

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lye works best, but it's some nasty stuff. Wear cloves for sure and get all the water out first. If that doesn't work, rent a snake at the hardware store.

Upgr8r

High Priest or maybe Jedi Master
May 2, 2006
Ventura, CA
I manage an apartment building and see this all the time. If your tub has a stopper controlled by a lever on the overflow plate, try removing the overflow plate. Hair has a tendancy to collect on the linkage causing a slow drain even if the pipe is not clogged. My roommate has long hair so I have to do this about every three months. If the problem is not there, a small snake that you can attach to a drill works great. With the overflow plate still removed, feed the snake throgh that opening, not the dain on the bathtub, which has several bends that will prevent the snake from feeding in. If your pipes are old avoid lye or other caustic drain cleaners as they can burn a hole in the pipes :mad: . If all else fails, call the plumber as the only sure way to clear a heavy clog is with a snake and some clogs can be several (25 or more) feet down.

This is assuming that the only thing affected is the tub. If the toilet does not flush properly or other out-flowing plumbing is affected this is indicative a a clog in the larger pipes that will require a bigger snake.