Quantcast

cloned meat and disease?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
I was debating with a few folks the other day about cloned animals for consumption. I’m aware that there’s no cellular difference to em’ but I thought I heard on the radio that they were a little bit more prone to disease. Is this true? Spoon feed me facts RM!

PS article links would go a long way too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Double negatives are just as confusing as women.

No, it would have been just as confusing as women if he said. "I wouldn't eat an animal without a soul unless you really wanted me too, even thought I don't want to, but you make the decision. Does cloned meat make my ass look big?"

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I was debating with a few folks the other day about cloned animals for consumption. I’m aware that there’s no cellular difference to em’ but I thought I heard on the radio that they were a little bit more prone to disease. Is this true? Spoon feed me facts RM!
Similar to the issues that face monocultures:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monoculture

Also even with something is conventionally bred (not genetic modified) there can still be unforeseen problems - its more of an issue about food testing/safety than breeding/cloning technology. The FDA is underfunded and staffed, so they only test for certain things and they only test a handful of the products out there. In chemical products there are probably about 30000 new products a year - they only test about 1000 of them for very specific criteria.

Few examples of crops:

There was a new strain of conventionally bred celery that made it on the market that gave harvester a bad rash.

There was a new strain of conventionally bred potatoes that made it on the market that caused a burning sensation in your mouth when you ate them.

Depending on the administration sometimes the FDA executives are staffed by former employees of the companies with products they want pushed through or by other government officials "on their payroll". One of the biggest offenders is Monsanto (has connections with the Clinton and Bush administration used to push through artificial sweeteners(and block natural Stevia), rBGH, etc).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
No, it would have been just as confusing as women if he said. "I wouldn't eat an animal without a soul unless you really wanted me too, even thought I don't want to, but you make the decision. Does cloned meat make my ass look big?"
so if i say my wife's ass looks cloned, how exactly would that play out?

Stray_cat

Monkey
Nov 13, 2007
Providence
Few examples of crops:

There was a new strain of conventionally bred celery that made it on the market that gave harvester a bad rash.

There was a new strain of conventionally bred potatoes that made it on the market that caused a burning sensation in your mouth when you ate them.
No….your destroying my vegetarian insulation. ;)

But as far as meat goes it’s not the cloning I care about, it’s the antibiotics that could be involved for a more ‘disease prone’ animal.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
If you find your wife's clone attractive, do you think she'd be pissed or flattered?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
No….your destroying my vegetarian insulation. ;)

But as far as meat goes it’s not the cloning I care about, it’s the antibiotics that could be involved for a more ‘disease prone’ animal.
Animals have antibiotics which can be an issue but more often for the species themselves not us. Crops have pesticides and fertilizer that are more frequently food problem for us. Plant or animal, you can be screwed, especially if its large scale farming were the bottom line is the bottom line (though ecoli or salmonella from organic farming isn't uncommon).

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
If you find your wife's clone attractive, do you think she'd be pissed or flattered?
kinda like "is it ok to think about her clone while having sex with her?". add to that: what if you got your wife cloned as she was when she was 19? see, i'd have no problem with that.

we need missn8 to chime in. or laura.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Cloned meat is nothing new.

When I was in the Navy we ate it all the time and I'm f-f-f-f-fine. The gov't had two kinds of genitically engineered animals called the Green Nauga and Brown Nauga. They were strange tubelike creatures that had no bones or legs. The hide was used for the commonly found green and brown naugahyde furniture on military installations and ships. The Brown Nauga was sliced into the never ending supply of gristly steaks we ate with the same piece of fat in the same place, molded into "rainbow roast" or ground into sliders (burger pattys). The Green Nauga supplied what was known as Navy all purpose white meat. When served with the grey gravy it tasted like pork, with the green gravy it tasted like turkey. It could also be smoked into something like ham or sliced into perfectly round chops or "pork pucks" as we called them.

Mmmmmm....

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Have you ever dated an identical twin? I hit it, and even then, I still couldn't help but imagine what it would've been like to hook up with her sister.