Quantcast

closed or open bath fork suspension Technology ?

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
Personally I have never noticed that in any suspension. If it occurs it might be affecting the performance of a pro rider though.
Never heard or experienced inconsistent damping with open-cartridge systems so I think if it occurs you might only notice it if you go really really fast on a gnarly track if at all.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Dorados typically benefit from one more rebound shim on the main piston, especially if you are running a spring pressure that is higher than normal for your weight. Lets you keep the adjuster a little more open and have the usable range back.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
regular oil..

but i got the same problem once with the bos rare idylle, i think the closed damping system works better.

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
is it the factory oil or have you rebuilt it? i dont understand what regular oil is. open bath systems are more susceptible to foaming. there are specific oils you must use because of this.

if it's the original factory oil, i would check oil heights to make sure it wasn't low.

with correct oil heights, i've never had issues on the following open bath forks: 888 evo ti, boxer w/ avalanche cartridge, and now the dorado.

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
is it the factory oil or have you rebuilt it? i dont understand what regular oil is. open bath systems are more susceptible to foaming. there are specific oils you must use because of this.

if it's the original factory oil, i would check oil heights to make sure it wasn't low.

with correct oil heights, i've never had issues on the following open bath forks: 888 evo ti, boxer w/ avalanche cartridge, and now the dorado.
factory oil!

i do not change anything away from factory stuff!
i think this problem is solved since i ride a closed system.

Last edited:

eater

Monkey
Nov 25, 2005
Switzerland
air pressure is okay like the manual from manitou 5.5cm sag.
i think all this open bad forks have this effect sometime..
but otherwise the dorado works great!

Last edited:

92SE-R

piston slapper
Feb 5, 2004
San Diego, CA
check your oil heights. open bath forks only have this problem IMO if oil heights are too low or wrong type of oil. many dirtbike forks are open bath. i'm pretty sure you aren't hitting those kinds of speeds to have that issue.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Properly submerged open-cartridge forks are prone to fairly little emulsification.

The big difference with the closed chamber forks is that the change in the oil pressure in the damper is metered only by the IC spring, not air volume. Those are two discrete variables on a closed chamber fork, where as the oil height changes the actual oil pressure through the travel, AND the accumulated spring force from the pneumatic effect.

To combat the emulsification problem more in an open chamber, I always wondered if some of that gas tank foam, or a screen inside the open chamber would work well to prevent excessive sloshing and allowing air to circulate down into the damper ports. Probably a huge number of reasons that wouldn't be practical, but it would be interesting to see if there would be any noticeable effect.