Quantcast

Cloudcroft????

DHTRAVELER

Chimp
Feb 16, 2004
TEXAS
Let's talk about Cloudcroft. People who have been tell us that havn't what to expect, bike setups, lodging etc. Where's the web site? I am 99% sure I am going to be there so I want to know about it.
:cool:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
There's a few places to stay in Cloudcroft but I'd bet you could find cheaper lodgings in Alamogordo...

You can easily drive to El Paso too... I can't recall the exact distance (prolly less than 100 miles)... at 80 MPH..

Big E

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Hell Paso Texas
Cloudcroft is a sweet race. lodging there are a couple of hotels in town but you might wanna call and make reservations. or try alamo for a hotel.. if not just camp out somewhere. you will be next to a national forest. and you might be able to camp in the parking lot. i know people have camped there in the past.

Peace

ikea

Chimp
Mar 12, 2004
i've been going to cloudcroft to camp for about 5 years, so i know a bit about the area. there are a ton of cabins for rent in town, cheaper hotels 30 minutes away in alamogordo, and a near-infinite amount of good camping nearby.

for general info on cloudcroft, go to www.cloudcroft.com there is a links section that has info on lodging, etc. fwiw, it's hard to find a bad motel in town, the whole place is quite small and "resorty" so businesses cant really afford to be shiesty. even if you camp, it's usually no problem to stop in at one of the local cabin/hotel places and pay 10 bux for a few hours to clean up before the drive home. i've done this tons of times.

for info on the course and maybe bike setup, call High Altitude bike shop 505-257-0120. as far as i know, they are organizing the race and should know the most. cloudcroft got some snow recently so this race could be interesting.

i'm really bummed about the fact that i cant make it up there.. it'd be like riding in paradise.

btw.. if anyone wants info on some semi-secret (free) camping spots in the national forest, pm me. i know of a few spots.. some with a spring running through the middle of the site.

Justin

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
Hello.. There is camping at the Cloudcroft ski area and there are cabins and hotels in town.. The bike setup for me is to set it up for big drops.. In the medium range.. The exp. course is brutal.. It has 7 jumps and some sick steeps.. You will hafta check it out.. That will be cool to get more people to race.. We are gonna build some new stuff before the race.. Maybe we can do a run from Cloud to Alamogordo? .. 4500' drop in 16 miles.. SICK!!!.. email me (mountaingoat111@cs.com) or call High Altitude bike shop 505-682-1229 .. Peace and safe journey!!:evil:

ikea

Chimp
Mar 12, 2004
oh yeah.. and you might want to bring your cold weather gear....

the high and low temps for yesterday were 39 and 13, respectively :)

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
Cloud Croft is the sheit. Talk about step as hell plus the most technical course that I've been to. Bring heavy armer this course will take u out. I saw a lot of crashes from good riders. ikea is right it will be cold at night but during the day it warms up. Right now theres snow on the ground. It seems to be that the camp sites will be closed on the weekend of the race, but last year the park guys pointed use in the right direction to camp. There's also a lot of riding around the area. Right in town theres a little downhill that goes down to this road that we shuttled on all day, because they wouldn't open the lifts. You want to call high altitude bike shop there in cloud croft. This shop is the on that puts the race on.

dirtyj

Monkey
Aug 3, 2003
austin
yes, but not all day. Last year the lift was open 12 to 5 and was open a couple of hours before the race. I think that I made about 4 or 5 runs the day before and a couple the day of. A lot of fast guys are showing up. It's going to be a real chill group. Tony from fat tire and his group. I hope alex, seth and the gang from amarillo show up. Carl Eric and James from El paso. It should be real fun.

mountaingoat

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
Hell Paso Texas
This guy mark(pro) did the course in 1:59 last year.. That guys fast.. My time was awefull.. I wrecked down the whole course cuz my fork was f***** up.. I have only cleaned the entire course a few times, its hard.. I will find out more today..:evil: The lift will be goin..

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
yeah i have seen you site. it keeps growing. looks good .

is there any more pics fron coyote?